What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting #4 wire to Alternator

Jeff R

Well Known Member
I am running #4 AWG wire to the alternator. The terminals for #4 cable (and even #6) are sized for an AN5 bolt. The 60 Amp Plane Power alternators, however, have a 6 mm stud (about .236"). Even a terminal for a #8 wire is a tad oversized, so the #4 terminal is way big for the alternator stud.

How did you guys handle this? Do you just trim off some of the wire strands at the end so the cable will fit into a #8 terminal?

Thanks.

No problem...

I am running #4 AWG wire to the alternator. The terminals for #4 cable (and even #6) are sized for an AN5 bolt. The 60 Amp Plane Power alternators, however, have a 6 mm stud (about .236"). Even a terminal for a #8 wire is a tad oversized, so the #4 terminal is way big for the alternator stud.

How did you guys handle this? Do you just trim off some of the wire strands at the end so the cable will fit into a #8 terminal?

Thanks.

B&C has them... 4 AWG wire to 0.25 terminal - close enough to 6mm...:)

http://www.bandc.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=181

Don't cut strands to make it fit a smaller terminal...:eek:

Drilled out hole on terminal

I had my #4 wire made at the local auto electrical shop. I bought the wire and terminals and fitted them together, then took them back to be crimped (no extra charge). The terminal I got was one that was a little smaller than the stud on the alternator but with a lot of material around the hole. I then drilled it out slightly to the correct size and still had a lot of material around the hole.

Burndy Terminals

I am running #4 AWG wire to the alternator. The terminals for #4 cable (and even #6) are sized for an AN5 bolt. The 60 Amp Plane Power alternators, however, have a 6 mm stud (about .236"). Even a terminal for a #8 wire is a tad over-sized, so the #4 terminal is way big for the alternator stud.

Thanks.

Jeff,
Don't cut the strands off to fit an undersized connector. That creates a point of resistance and weakens the wire. Gil's link to B&C is for Amp brand connectors. I find them to be to fragile in the high vibration environment under the cowl. The Amp connectors are made from a sheet of flat copper. The lug portion of the connector is rolled into a tube and the seam brazed shut.
I prefer Burndy brand terminals (now a division of FCI). I've commented on this before. See

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=41154&highlight=Burndy+terminals

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=41162&highlight=Burndy+terminals

You can buy Burndy terminals at industrial electrical supply houses like Graybar. I've also found that Ace Hardware carries a limited supply of Burndy terminals, as well. Here is the Burndy part number for one style of terminal which will work ( #4 AWG ring terminal with 1/4" stud hole)

YAV4CL-TC14-FX

They have other part numbers which will also work, besides the one listed above. Below are two photos of a #2 wire Burndy terminal. This terminal is has an extra long barrel area. Burndy terminals come in standard and extra long barrel variations.

crimpedburndy2awgringtef.jpg

crimpedburndy2awgringte.jpg

Use 3M "triple thickness" heat shrink tubing to secure and insulate the joint. This gives the wire extra support. See

alternatorbleadterminal.jpg

The photo above is of a #6 wire with a small stud hole. I hope this helps.
Charlie Kuss

Back