What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preparing to transition to the -8 with Bruce Bohannan

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
I'm a timid and very cautious pilot when it comes to trying new things. For that reason, and many others, I have been reluctant to transition into Paul's RV-8, the Valkyrie. But, I'm also not the full-time GIB-personality and I've grown tired of counting the hairs on the back of Paul's head. So, once some time-consuming obligations pass this summer, I will probably transition into the -8. How to do it.....

I have over 650 hours in my -6 and the -8 has the same engine and general handling characteristics. Should be easy, I suppose, but I've only soloed four models of aircraft in my career....and remember that timid streak? I don't have the comfort and even joy of jumping from plane-to-plane that some many of you feel. Add to it Paul's passion for the plane, and I want to be fully prepared.

This morning, I flew over to Bruce Bohannan's private airstrips (Flyin' Tiger - 81D) near Angleton, TX. I planned to get checked-out in his Legend in order to become familiar with right-hand stick/left-hand throttle and the centerline view. Knowing my longterm intent, Bruce did an interesting thing. He fully briefed me on the Cub, climbed in the back, and told me to go fly as if he weren't in the plane.

I took-off, flew around trying various turns, climb attitudes, slow flight, and stalling before returning to the field and landing. We then briefed the flight and went up for some "training".

What a great way to "transition" a modestly experience pilot into a new airplane! While Paul will probably be in the Valkyrie for my first several (or many) flights, the Val's lack of rearseat brakes and the general poor positioning of the -8 for backseat flying argue for my independence from his assistance on even the first flight. This experience was a great confidence booster. Eventually, I expect to take on the RV-3 and this is exactly the right practice for that day.

Flying with Bruce was a great experience and I plan to go back and do some more in the Cub. Part of what made this approach to the transition so successful is that I had no fear that a mistake I made would end in disaster. Bruce is such a fine stick-and-rudder pilot that I was confident that he would ensure the plane would fly again no matter how badly I might have messed up. With that confidence, I was able to actually do just fine on my first Cub flight.

Very cool experience! For folks looking for tailwheel transition, I expect that Bruce would be great. For anyone needing a biennial (which I also picked up today), spending a few hours with him in the Legend is a great way to do it! A bonus is that the rural, private, grass strip allows Bruce to have students doing far more concentrated pattern work than most airports. You get a lot more landings per hour than at an even moderately busy airport.

So, Paul, you had better get those rear rudder pedals installed before August. You know what happened when my Dad procrastinated on putting training wheels on my hand-me-down bicycle when I was about four.....I just started riding without the training wheels! :rolleyes:

Well that all sounds like fun but be cautious. I hope you looked into the qualifications of this Bohannan guy. Not sure I've ever heard of him.

Congratulations Louise!

Danny King (-8) borrowed my RV-6 for a couple of weeks to run errands while his plane was down a few years back, and after he returned from the first flight, he said I could fly Beautiful Doll anytime I wanted, because my RV-6 was so much harder to land consistently than his -8!

I've now got some time solo in the Doll and have to agree, your and my RV-6's are much 'twitchier' in the flare than the -8. You'll nail it, don't worry.

Soon you'll have mucho solo time in Valkyrie and will know for SURE just how much of a better pilot you are than Paul.

Too much? :D

(Paul reading this) "AAAAwwwwwwwwwwwww Mannnnnn!" ;):p:rolleyes:

I've told Louise that the most difficult part of transitioning into the front seat of the Val is going to be learning the avionics! And for me, that means I'll finally have to write a bunch of stuff down and update the checklists from what I thought I wanted to what I actually do....;)

Paul

No worries tonight!

Soon you'll have mucho solo time in Valkyrie and will know for SURE just how much of a better pilot you are than Paul.

Too much? :D

(Paul reading this) "AAAAwwwwwwwwwwwww Mannnnnn!" ;):p:rolleyes:

Paul is on console tonight and then will sleep until early afternoon tomorrow. So, you have plenty of time to get a head-start before he can come after you! ;)

What a great way to "transition" a modestly experience pilot into a new airplane! While Paul will probably be in the Valkyrie for my first several (or many) flights, the Val's lack of rearseat brakes and the general poor positioning of the -8 for backseat flying argue for my independence from his assistance on even the first flight.
The RV-8 will be much easier to land at forward CG than with aft CG. You are making things more difficult than needed by starting with Paul in back. It would actually be easier to start off solo, then once you are comfortable in the aircraft work on aft CG.

Also, you could do some right seat work in your RV-6 to get used to right hand on stick, with Paul in the left seat. The ASI will be way over to the left, but it should still be usable.

The RV-8 will be much easier to land at forward CG than with aft CG. You are making things more difficult than needed by starting with Paul in back. It would actually be easier to start off solo, then once you are comfortable in the aircraft work on aft CG.

Also, you could do some right seat work in your RV-6 to get used to right hand on stick, with Paul in the left seat. The ASI will be way over to the left, but it should still be usable.

Interesting comments, Kevin. Paul was mentioning the same thing about the CG yesterday after my flight with Bruce. We will consider starting with me solo. Yesterday's experience makes that approach seem worth considering.

I have flown (and landed) the -6 from the right occasionally but it doesn't have brakes on the right side and one can't really see much useful panel information from the right, so it isn't an ideal situation. And, frankly, I find switching hands to be a complete non-issue. Never thought about it once I advanced the throttle yesterday. I don't think I'll have a problem with the centerline view, either, but some tandem time can't hurt.

Louise,
I agree with Kevin on this one. A current, qualified, and RV6 experienced pilot will have a way easier time solo in an 8. Those rear rudder pedals would not be able to save you anyway so if you haven't ground looped Mikey than your not going to ground loop the Valkerie. You'll have better visability in the 8 also. Go taxi the 8 around for awhile, then just go fly it, be confident!:D
Best Regards,

Last edited:
"""be confident!""" This Quote says it all! Your over thinking this, you have the experience already, even your insurance will cover you assuming you have insurance, the RV6 and 7 is the way other pilots have transitioned to the 8 but with lots less time then you have. Get Paul to give you a cockpit check out on the ground and go fly it solo, it will be a non event and you will love it.

Thanks for the supporting words.

"""be confident!""" This Quote says it all! Your over thinking this....

An academic over thinking something? Ya' think? :eek:

Yep, confidence would certainly be the key if I solo it first and that's what my experience with Bruce has helped strengthen a lot. But, ultimately, how I first (second and third) fly the Valkyrie will be Paul's choice as it's his baby. (My choice will be whether I want to fly it or not.)

Thanks for the supporting words, guys.

Flying Valkyrie

Louise,

I got flamed for telling Paul to just go out and fly his new 8 after learning of his experience in the Yankee and Cub. After owning a Yankee for 23 years, and with much time in cubs, I knew Paul had all he needed to fly the 8. At the risk of being flamed again: Go fly Valkyrie and have a ball! You will not have a problem, and you might even make a better landing on you first attempt in Valkyrie than your average landing in the 6.

After a good cockpit brief from Paul, I found Valkyrie to be a nicely behaved RV-8, and I enjoyed my ninety minutes in her. Read my write up: Ninety Minutes in Valkyrie. Like Paul said, the transition to Val's fancy panel will be the toughest part of the check out.

Last edited:
Back