What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switches

pestar

I'm New Here
I am looking for easily obtainable smart looking rocker switches that have the same functionality up to and including the S-10.
The S-10 format is the plain old switch type and I am looking for something smarter to fit in my panel and is a progressive switch.
Why I say easily obtainable is when looking at suppliers like DigiKey they never seem to have all the switches I require in the same range.

Yes I have looked at Aveo, their switches are manufactured by ABM out of France but the prices blows your socks off.
As I am based in New Zealand our dollar looks poorly verse the US$ hence my comment.

So my question to all RV'ers is - can you suggest a good web based switch supplier and what manufacturer do you recommend.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
Peter Armstrong
Auckland, New zealand

Engraved ones like this...

rocker1.jpg

Basic switch at around $28 US from Newark. Plus a bit more for the engraved cap. Many switch/light options availabale.

http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/rocker_switches.htm

4434374.jpg

Data sheet here -

http://www.honeywell-sensor.com.cn/prodinfo/switch_pki/technical/aml-mml.pdf

I am looking for easily obtainable smart looking rocker switches that have the same functionality up to and including the S-10.
The S-10 format is the plain old switch type and I am looking for something smarter to fit in my panel and is a progressive switch.
Why I say easily obtainable is when looking at suppliers like DigiKey they never seem to have all the switches I require in the same range.

Yes I have looked at Aveo, their switches are manufactured by ABM out of France but the prices blows your socks off.
As I am based in New Zealand our dollar looks poorly verse the US$ hence my comment.

So my question to all RV'ers is - can you suggest a good web based switch supplier and what manufacturer do you recommend.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
Peter Armstrong
Auckland, New zealand

I am thinking about buying from here:

Rocker Switches

They have several pre-engraved caps from which to choose. However, I spoke with a local engraver (trophy shop) and it looks like if I will be doing more than 5 or so, it will be cheaper to have him do it.

I just received all my switch breakers from Allied Electronics (special order). These are LED illuminated rockers with different rocker/light color options. They are made by ETA. I went with 3130 series, they're about 1.34 by .6 inches. About $18/switch and they eliminate a breaker.

They also stock....

I've used RS Components here in Auckland (http://newzealand.rs-online.com). They seem to be reasonably priced and if it's not in stock they get the parts in pretty quickly.

Where are you building?

...the Honeywell switches shown in my earlier post.

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2508594660

642-1059.jpg

I thought the prices were high, but when I realized the the NZ dollar is around 1.75 to a US dollar, the prices are comparable to the US....:)

Last edited:
If you are looking for just a good quality, LOW PRICE... switches that will fit a round hole..........

GRANGER..........

I ended up going with Honeywell FRL91-23CGA3-BB79 for all but the flap switch. These are 2 position lighted DPDT rockers with a 20A rating. For the flap switch I used a FRL91-27CGG3-BB77. This is a 3 position version with momentary contacts for both up and down.

FRL91-23CGA3-BB79.jpg

In quantities greater than 10 you can get them for around $13 from Digikey (others too, like Mouser, Newark, etc; prices vary). But Digikey was out of the flap switch version and wasn't expecting any more until mid August. I ended up buying the flap switch from Jameco for around $16. They shipped in 3 days.

I am currently using a label maker to print black on clear labels for the switches (9 pt font). I lay that over the lighted portion of the rocker and use an exacto knife to trim the excess. It looks pretty good so far. I am going to keep some of the switches in my car for a while and see what the middle Georgia heat does to my labeling. If it doesn't work out, a local engraver said he can engrave the switches for about $0.35 - $0.40 per letter plus a $15-25 one-time setup charge. The only thing I prefer about using the labels is I can change things (and I am currently on revision 371.1.8 of my electrical system :) ).

I really like the styling of these switches. The only thing I am a little concerned about are the faston tabs. The common tabs are a little close to the tabs used when the switch is in the "off" position. When I ran the #10 Tefzel wire to the EBuss switch, it really moves the tab around and looks like it could easily short to the other contact. Fortunately, I am using the switch in an On/Off configuration and even if it does short, it won't do any harm. Even so, I will probably put heat shrink over the other faston tabs. And, of course, I will secure the wires going to the switch.

Buy the PIDG terminals...

I really like the styling of these switches. The only thing I am a little concerned about are the faston tabs. The common tabs are a little close to the tabs used when the switch is in the "off" position. When I ran the #10 Tefzel wire to the EBuss switch, it really moves the tab around and looks like it could easily short to the other contact. Fortunately, I am using the switch in an On/Off configuration and even if it does short, it won't do any harm. Even so, I will probably put heat shrink over the other faston tabs. And, of course, I will secure the wires going to the switch.

...with the insulating sleeve over the contact area....:)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=cdqtXQb/FdL0TihIT0lu0w==

pr696371.jpg

So what's the word bird?

FRL91-23CGA3-BB79.jpg

I am currently using a label maker to print black on clear labels for the switches (9 pt font). I lay that over the lighted portion of the rocker and use an exacto knife to trim the excess. It looks pretty good so far. I am going to keep some of the switches in my car for a while and see what the middle Georgia heat does to my labeling.

So what say you about these rocker switches? Good, Bad, OK? Anyone else have anything to advise on these Honeywell rockers?

Last edited:
I am not flying yet so I can't comment on durability. I can say the labeling test went well. Someone suggested putting a clear label on top of what I already have so the lettering won't rub off over time. I will likely do that at some point. Rather than purchase the connectors Gil recommended (since I already had a bunch of the non-insulated kind), I use 3/16 or 1/4 inch heat shrink tubing to cover the entire connector and some section of the wire. This also provides some strain relief for the wire. On smaller wires I have to use some smaller heat shring tubing before the terminal to "beef" it up a little since the larger tubing won't shrink enough.

Bottome line... so far so good. But, then again, that is what the guy who jumped off the Empire State building said as he passed the 10th floor. :)

Back