What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert a 4 pts. belt into a 5 pts.

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi. I bought a 4 point belt and harness from Van's and a friend of mine told me that a 5 point will be more safe, in case of accident. So, I'm thinking about upgrading my 4 point into a 5 point.

I asked Van's for the upgrade but it seems I was not enough clear and they answered me that they sell the crotch strap kit (which of course is necessary, but it is not enough).

I was searching for the 5th point belt to buy and the friend told me that once it was sold as a separate part. Do you have any idea apart from selling the 4 point on the site and buying a new 5 point one?

Thanks.

I asked Van's the same question, this was their reply:

Mike,

We don't sell just the crotch strap portion as all of the harness kits are made up in advance by the vendor. I can give you the vendors contact info and they can sell you the 5th point strap. Contact:

AM SAFE - 1-800-228-1567

If this is in a 6, 7, or a 9...

return the 4 point harness to Vans (if it meets Vans Return Policy) and buy the 5 point (Amsafe) harness and the 'CROTCH STRAP KIT'. The 'KIT' provides the anchor point that is bolted/riveted to the seat ribs. The 5 point harness then just installs as normal. You may also want to have your bottom cushions slotted by who ever made them to accept the crotch strap. The seat pans are already slotted for you.

The 5 point is definitely safer and keeps the lap belt from 'riding' up on your hips, which also helps in turbulence.

Costs are about $150 per 5 point harness set, and $32 for the Crotch Strap Kit.

The 4 point harness manufacturer (Tuff Tow) doesn't make a crotch strap so you'd have to contact Amsafe to get just that.

Thank-you

Thank-you.
I got a similar answer in the last email from Van's, even if they did not provide me with vendor details. They said it is not upgradable, but I noticed that there is enough space for a 5th insert.

I will try to contact Amsafe to get the 5th point. Otherwise, I will put my 4 points on sale here on the forum. I bought them 6 months ago...

I wouldn't

buy the VAN's belts again..There are better deals to be had and if your into acro there is not much holding the latch together..In fact I put in a back up lap belt for -veG stuff after I examined what was holding me in the airplane..eeek!

Back