What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ray Allen Trim Indicator

f1rocket

Well Known Member
Does anyone know whether the direction of the trim indicator light bar can be changed by switching up two of the wires in the back? My aileron trim indicator is reversed and since I have decals on the indicator, it would be easier to swap a couple of wires instead of flipping the indicator over and redoing it.

Trim Indicator

I was curious about it and since I have my panel on the Bench, I threw the Servo, switch and indicator together. If you swap the two white wires (Servo to Switch) around you do get the indicator to swap direction but also the servo moves in the opposite direction. I don't think you want that. Now, if you swap the Orange and Blue wires (Orange to Blue/Blue to Orange) from the Servo to the LED indicator you will get just the indicator to swap direction. Hope this helps.

Richard Glick
RV7A Working on Canopy/Panel
Slinger WI

Swap the blue and the orange wires

Had the same problem two weeks ago on my elevator. Called Ray Allen and was told to swap the blue and the orange wires to resolve the issue. Did it and it worked.

which connectors

Hi,

I'm just getting to the stage where I need to wire the Trim servos, switches etc. and was wondering what connectors you guys are using? Idealy I would like a miniture 'plug & socket' type connector.
Any help would be appreiciated.

Jim
Houston TX
Panel & Canopy.

Dean connectors

Check out dean connectors found at most hobby shops. Very small and secure fitting. I use shrink wrap for added security. My electric trim used 2 connectors, one with 2 pins and one with 3 pins. Some 5 pin connectors are available.

Philip Mercier
RV-4 Abbotsford BC.

Connectors

I was at Van's the other day and another customer was there getting supplies and also showing Van's a circuit board that would allow you to plug in all of the servos and other items related to an auto pilot system. His board had these small connectors which he said you could get both male and female and are made by Molex. He suggested I check out Digikey dot com. I haven't found them yet but I'm not sure what I should call them except connectors. They are a small connector and looked like they might have maybe up to six or eight conductors. Also, they connect with a positive click, are about 3/4" wide for this many conductors. I guess you can tell I was impressed. I've been looking for that type connector for some time. Post here if you figure out which to order.

http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/pdf/Current.html

Tom McCutcheon

Yeah, the Micro-fit Molex connectors on this page look mighty small. 10mm X 7mm for a 6 conductor plug. And they're not too expensive at $.75 for the connectors and $.18 for the pins. It looks like there are two different sized pins 20-24 AWG and 26-30 AWG. Some of the trim wires are 26 AWG.

Let us know how they look if you end up ordering them.

Dave

Back