What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

short TO/LND performance

henriquerv9

Hi all,

I probably will be moving my RV7 to another airport next month. It is equiped with an mattituck io360 and sensenich FP prop. My concern is that the new airport has a 1500 ft grass and tall tress at one side (other side is clear of obstacles) and locates at an altitude of 4500ft msl. Other point is that average local temps is 70~85 oF

I know 1500ft is easy for an RV7 take off and land, but at 4500ft altitude can this make lot of difference? I would like to hear from other pilots how confortable you are in this situations.

Thanks all in advance

Henrique Castro

An RV7 owner that goes by UK FIGS on this forum, has the same setup and fly's out of a 4600' airport. Maybe he'll see this...

Or you can send him a message

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Henrique,
I can’t give a knowledgeable opinion if the strip is suitable for a 7, but my 9A operates out of my similar 1420 ft airstrip at 4,260 ft altitude, low obstacles to clear at each end and surrounded by trees and hills making it susceptible to wind shear. I consider that my strip is about the minimum I would want for regular operations (that obviously includes some landings in less favourable conditions). T/O is no problem but the landing requires concentration with close attention to airspeed, the touchdown point and with a minimum time spent floating in the flare. I approach at 55 kts IAS (solo weight) in calm conditions and a couple of knots faster if there is a crosswind and usually need some moderate braking to stop. I would not want to approach any faster than about 65 kts for fear of not being able to stop easily. If you can approach with your GPS showing a ground speed 65 kts or less then maybe the strip would be doable for the 7???????? I would not want to operate from my strip if the temperature is over about 30 degrees C. unless there is a good headwind as the ground speed (from the GPS) is too fast on short final and touchdown.
I have a C/S prop which helps with slowing down in the flare and I suspect that your FP prop may not be ideal for this airstrip.
Edit: See post #8 for further comments.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Practise, Henrique...

...and practice some more. I use 70 MPH in my -6A and can stop in 800'. Keep practicing slower and slower approaches on a longer runway and use a speed that doesn't allow much float, if any, as Finley points out.

That being said, however, you don't have much margin for error and it can bite you.

Regards,

I have a similar situation although a shorter strip close to sea level. Have never flown in or out yet (except in a balloon) but here's how I plan to "approach" it:
1. Install an AOA or lift reserve indicator as this is essential for carrying the minimum safe airspeed on final. Short field procedure for something this short will require a very slow airspeed and a flare (with power) just before touchdown.
2. Practice my technique at a safe location (longer strip) and work to get my airspeed and landing distance to safe minimums
3. Practice my technique at a strip with tall trees which is longer than mine and determine the range of landing distance I achieve when attempting to land as short as possible.
4. If I feel there is sufficient margin, attempt operation at my strip with min fuel no pax on a calm, cold day
5. If this works, slowly expand the envelope to determine my limitations.

If all this works, maybe I'll build a hangar for summertime service.:D

Keep in mind that your insurance may have limitations on operations on other than paved runways :rolleyes:

Henrique

I have a similar setup and fly out of Salt Lake #2 which is at 4600ft and get into the 90s in the summer, normally I fly final at 75 mph with full flaps slowing over the threshold and if I touch down near the numbers I have to taxi to the first turn off which is not very far from the end of the runway (do not know the exact distance but less than 1500ft). I do not have lots of hours (260+) and suspect that if 1500 ft was ALL I was looking at for runway length it would be a somewhat tense approach for me but the plane is capable of operating in that environment. I suspect it comes down to your experience and capabilities and lots of practice.
Hope that helps.

Noah's comments are pretty much on. Practice. Practice. Practice. My recommendation would be to do all practice at max gross weight and fly stabilized approaches using 1.3Vso as your maximum reference. The most common mistake I see is flying approaches too fast, whether VFR or IFR. If you control your speed, you'll find there isn't much need for braking-you can even pull the nose up quite high on roll-out to aid in aerodynamic braking. If you aren't stable on speed and aligned with your aim point, GO AROUND. Your goal should be to control speed with 2-3 kts and touch down within 100 feet of your target.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Henrique,

As I stated in Post #3, I operate from a similar airstrip to the one you are considering. Here are some further thoughts I have about safely operating from my airstrip. I am just a lowly private pilot so feel free to disregard any of this non-expert advice.
I have a Go/No go point on my airstrip. If I am not on the ground and able to commence effective braking by that point then I will immediately reapply power and go around. This takes most of the guess work out of the question, "will I pull up in time?" If possible practice on a longer airstrip at a similar altitude until you can comfortably stop within the 1,500 ft. Take note of the touchdown point and go and pace out this distance from the threshold. Pace out the same distance from the threshold of your 1,500 ft airstrip and this becomes the Go/No go point for touchdown. Obviously the location of this point assumes that approach, flare and touchdown have been done at the correct speeds.
You can slow down quicker on the ground than in the air, so after the flare, let the aircraft settle quickly rather than holding off and trying to touchdown at the lowest possible speed. One thing in your favor is that you are likely to find that the grass will provide more drag and help you slow down compared to a sealed runway.
Flare as low as possible. You will be approaching at a slow speed and any unnoticed fall in IAS and/or reduction in the headwind combined with a high flare could have you dropping heavily to the ground. This is a likely scenario at your proposed airstrip if the headwind is blocked by the trees.
Set your idle as low as possible to help slow down in the flare.
If anything does no feel right during the approach and landing then don't hesitate to go around.
Hope this helps.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Back