What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 32-05 Flight Controls

steve wyman

Well Known Member
I have been wiring the airplane since I got the finish kit last week, but I don't want to have to install the control sticks twice, so I'm wiring them now. Before I do that I'm skipping ahead to page 32-05, to accomplish the control stick mounting. Step 2: on this page tells you to drill the brass bushing with a 1/4" drill- DON'T. Instead, use an under size (.2490) straight flute ream to open up the hole through the bushing. Avery stocks these reams (mine came with my RV-12 tool kit from them). If you drill out the hole with a 1/4" , you will wind up with a sloppy fit ( AN4 bolts nominally measure about .2485). I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand flying an airplane with binding OR sloppy controls! Just a heads up- take it for what it's worth. Steve

I have been wiring the airplane since I got the finish kit last week, but I don't want to have to install the control sticks twice, so I'm wiring them now. Before I do that I'm skipping ahead to page 32-05, to accomplish the control stick mounting. Step 2: on this page tells you to drill the brass bushing with a 1/4" drill- DON'T. Instead, use an under size (.2490) straight flute ream to open up the hole through the bushing. Avery stocks these reams (mine came with my RV-12 tool kit from them). If you drill out the hole with a 1/4" , you will wind up with a sloppy fit ( AN4 bolts nominally measure about .2485). I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand flying an airplane with binding OR sloppy controls! Just a heads up- take it for what it's worth. Steve

I don't think the design intends for the bushing to rotate on the bolt. The bushing gets clamped by the bolt with the control stick rotating on the bushing.
Because of this, a 1/4" drill works fine, but a ream can be used also.

I don't think the design intends for the bushing to rotate on the bolt. The bushing gets clamped by the bolt with the control stick rotating on the bushing.
Because of this, a 1/4" drill works fine, but a ream can be used also.

Scott- You're absolutely correct that the control stick pivots on the bushing, however, if the bushing is a loose fit on the bolt, no matter how much it is squeezed at the ends, it will still move around on the bolt. If that movement occurs, you will get a sloppy feel on the control stick. Steve

Scott- You're absolutely correct that the control stick pivots on the bushing, however, if the bushing is a loose fit on the bolt, no matter how much it is squeezed at the ends, it will still move around on the bolt. If that movement occurs, you will get a sloppy feel on the control stick. Steve

This would be true if it moved around. After complete 12 different RV's, I have never had a sloppy stick because of a 1/4 inch hole in the bushing. If it has play, it is always between the bushing and the stick weldment.

A very nice flying RV-12 can be built without lots of extra tools ($).
To each his own.

Steve,

I used the reamer and it worked fine. Also, don't forget to "file" down the posts while you're in there...you don't want to do it after you're wired up.

EXCELLENT POST!

I HATE sloppy controls. I have rebuilt several RV's I've worked on to get rid of the slop.

FYI brass shim stock works wonders.

Back