What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip : Using NAS1097 rivets for nutplate

llavalle

Well Known Member
While working on my last emp part, the left elevator, I encountered my first nut plates with flush rivets.

While reading the forum and the builder's manual, I came across the NAS1097 rivets. Those are commonly referred as "OOPS" rivets. They have a smaller head. i.e. a NAS1097AD4 rivet will have the same head as a regular 3/32 rivets... but with a 1/8 shank.

So anyway, I had those around because I bought the "Avery OOPS Hole saver kit". The kit contains 3/32 rivets with smaller head (equivalent to 1/16 rivets). You can then machine countersink the thin skin (it's too thin to C/S for a 3/32 rivet) just enough and use this smaller head rivet.

Faster and it does look cleaner IMO.

DSC03551.JPG

DSC03559.JPG

DSC03561.JPG

Using those, you don't have to dimple or machine C/S the nutplates. The rivet is obviously weaker but it's only purpose is to prevent the nutplate from rotating.

It might be old news for some (most?) of you but it was new to me and I'd like to share this with others :D

PLATE NUT RIVETS

The 1097 rivets are the only way to go. I've done hundreds of plate nuts with these rivets and you only need a deburring tool for the countersink.
You have come across a real time saver.

Nut plates

All:

I too was trouble with the issue of cs nutplates for the electric trim doubler. However I did some research (Don't tell my mentor) and came upon a method where the skin and the nutplate are dimpled cs at the same time. I practiced on several pieces and am very pleased with the results.

I also read (there I go again) about issues with the electric trim servo that after dimpling the servo would not seat on the bracket. Here I practiced with my deburring tool to form cs the doubler. The servo sat down nicely. That little deburring bit is the best thing in my tool box.

As soon as I can figure out how to send pictures, I will post them.

Ruley

Van's carries them

You can get the NAS1097 AD3 at Van's also (lengths -3 -3.5 -4 -6). They're not listed in the catalog or the webshop but you can order them anyway, you'll get them.

Mario

My experience was that dimpling both the skin & platenut actually helped maintain alignment, & it was the fastest method I tried.
YMMV, etc etc...

Charlie

Back