What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PC680...which terminal lugs?

cjensen

Well Known Member
I'm not at home to look at my battery, but need to pick up some terminal lugs for the battery connection today. Can someone tell me which lug (hole size...#10, 1/4, 5/16??) I need to connect to the battery please???

TIA...

Higher quality terminals

Chad,
While on this subject, I would suggest an alternative to the Amp brand terminals sold by ACS and others. Purchase Burndy brand terminals (available at your local industrial/commercial electrical supply store. These are much stouter than the Amp terminals.
The Amp terminals are made from a single layer of flat copper stock. Because of this, they have a brazed split in the barrel area (weak point).
The Burndy terminals are made from copper tubing. The terminal end is pressed flat, so it is twice as thick and less likely to fracture from vibration fatigue. The barrel end has no split, so it has no weak spot. I learned this trick from the President of my local EAA chapter. He's an avionics tech. I purchased mine from my local Graybar Electrical warehouse. If you have a friend who is an commerical electrician, he can direct you to a local source. I HIGHLY recommend using Burndy terminals for the starter, starter contactor, main contactor and alternator terminals. These connections are in a high vibration environment.
Burndy terminals can be crimped or soldered. My chapter president loaned me his Burndy terminal crimpers. They look like a set of bolt cutters. They have a built in set of adjustable dies, to cover from #8 to #00. I recommend covering the connection with 3M's "triple thickness" heat shrink tubing.
I just checked FCI's web site (parent company of Burndy) They've changed the web site (for the worse) and I can't give you a direct web link to what you would need. I did discover that Ace Hardware carries Burndy terminals, so perhaps this would be the easiest source for them.

Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Good point for everyone to follow Charlie! We use Burndy at work, so that's what I already use...just gotta pick 'me outta the bin!

;)

Burndy Terminal Web Links

Chad,
I guess I'm just getting old! :eek: With a little work, I managed to find a couple of useful links. The top one is for a ring terminal for #2 gauge wire with a 1/4" hole.

http://portal.fciconnect.com/portal/page/portal/FcicntPublic/Product_Type?appname=catDisplayByPath$entryPoint=adirect$categoryPath=Division+catalog%2FBurndy

With the one below, you can use the NARROW BY feature on the left side to locate to correct terminal.

http://portal.fciconnect.com/portal/page/portal/FcicntPublic/Product_Type?appname=catDisplayByPath$entryPoint=adirect$categoryPath=Division+catalog%2FBurndy

This one is for #4 gauge wire with a 1/4" hole.

I hope this is helpful
Charlie Kuss

Advantage for me...

was the ability to use a 3/8 bolt with a good terminal and better clearance off the battery. Also able to put a rubber boot over the connection...

I also have a permanently installed wire harness for my Battery Tender charger coming off the battery and kept "hidden" and protected in a short piece of rubber tubing that's attached to the motor mount. After I pull her into the hangar, I just open the oil fill door, pull the harness fwd, and plug in the Battery Tender. I think the battery likes it...and we're all set for the next preflight.

Back