What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE 2009

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Doug, Have you set the dates for LOE09 yet? Just trying to make sure I get the time off. :) Thanks! -Jim

key words:
LOE LOE09 Land of Enchantment
Dona Ana County Airport at Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa, New Mexico, USA
5T6 DNA

Last edited:
Not yet. Larry, Red and I plan to get together sometime in the next month (they really pick it...I just stand in the back and politely nod <g>).

b,
d

Thanks Doug. Just looking at the ABQ Balloon festival dates (3-11 Oct 09)...they are about the same time if this year's LOE is the same as last year's. Thinking of making both since locations are close together. Take care, -Jim

10/9-10-11/2009

LOE dates for 2009 are October 9-10-11.
I have the flyers from Red on my desk.

Ooooh, I'm drooling already. Beer on the ramp in front of 100 other RVs. What could be better.

LOE dates for 2009 are October 9-10-11.
I have the flyers from Red on my desk.

I will be there with wife and daughter. Have to bring the RV-10 since the three of us won't fit into the RV-7 which I hope to have flying by then.

Any one have recommendations on car rental and Hotel rooms? I?m working on getting some of the other Indy guys to go this year. Looks like fun.

It has been updated 9-9 and 9-11. Almost everything appears to be the same as it has been in the past.

I phoned for a rental car on late Friday. I was the 4th person to call that day. The manager is going to phone all of us back on Monday about car reservations.

BTW. I pre-registered by typing out my form. (I have Acorbat Pro and can create PDF files.) I then emailed it to the email address that is under contacts on the Air Museum web site. I was not sure if they would get it. I did get an email back thanking me for pre-registering.

Note that the people that pre-register only pay $35 for the banquet. If you do not pre-register, it will be $40.

If you are going, please, please, PLEASE Pre-Register. It is a lot of help for the museum in planning the event. If you pre-register and then cannot go, let them know that you are canceling. Just like Oshkosh, pick up your trash. Make sure NOT to mix trash with recycle stuff and just the correct bins.

Last edited:
Updated hotel location map will be posted online in about 12 hours (got it yesterday from the War Eagles Museum folks).
b,d

I am toying with the idea of attending LOE this year. I decided to check the route from Fort Collins, CO to 5T6 and see a whole bunch of restrictive airspace (White Sands) just north of 5T6 along my route. Can anybody speak from past experience attending this event and how they have dealt with this airspace? Has this space been fairly active during past LOEs? Do people just avoid this airspace all together? Or, do people have no problem talking to Albuquerque Center and getting permission to enter the space?

Thanks,

Jason

No worries Jason

South to Las Vegas NM (LVS). then two options

1) Towards Albuquerque and I-25 south or

2) South to Alamogordo (ALM) then thread between the restricted spaces R-5107A/B/D and R-5103x towards El Paso and then to 5T6. Speaking to Center I have been cleared through R-5107A.

Really...not a problem.

Call if you want more info 719-683-3701

Last edited:
Jason,
I have not been to LOE yet (hope to go), but have flown from Fort Collins to/from Las Cruces, NM (just North of LOE).

In my case, the route I take is South over Raton Pass. You can use Raton or Las Vegas for fuel if needed. Then from there direct to Mountainair, NM. At Mountainair I turn SW to the VOR (ONM), then just follow I-25 basically, avoiding restricted airspace all together.

bc@FNL

Portable PA system?

Does anyone have a portable PA system? i.e. a wireless microphone that will broadcast on a back-pack style speaker that runs off of batteries?

I ask because I thought it would be neat to 'walk the line' at a certain time on Saturday afternoon and give each owner the opportunity to briefly introduce themselves, where they were from, and expand on any unique aspects of thier RV. I saw them do this at the Cessna Cardinal fly-in at Wichita Mid-Continent last year, so I can't take credit for the idea. But it really was pretty neat way to learn more about the people and planes.

The crowd moved pretty slow and there was plenty of time to make sure you were by your plane in time. If no one was there, they just skipped it and moved on. All in all, it would probably take a few hours, but it's not one of those things that's mandatory by any means.

Anyway, just a thought. If you have the equipment or other comments, please bring them up.

Best,

-Jim

more info?

We've likely got 3 RVs coming down from Ogden, UT. The LOE site still has that large blank area reserved for the raffle prize list. Any updates yet?

We've likely got 3 RVs coming down from Ogden, UT. The LOE site still has that large blank area reserved for the raffle prize list. Any updates yet?

Starting that up over the weekend, actually. It should fill up fast if history is any indicator.
b,
d

We have about two to three RVs heading out of Indianapolis, Indiana to attend LOE this year. We plan on leaving the weekend before and head out West, possibly to CA or at least Vegas or Laughlin. Any suggestions on good places to visit or any one that wants to join are welcome.

Places to visit

Leadville Colorado

Death Valley

Monument Valley (gouldings.com)

Grand Canyon

Las Vegas

Catalina Island CA

Yosemite NP, CA

Zion National Park (NP)

Arches NP, UT

Mt Rushmore

Devils Tower (ET movie)

Carlsbad Caverns

White Sands

Bryce Canyon NP, UT. You don't need wheels because Ruby's Inn (actually a Best Western) will pick you up at the airport. FREE shuttle buses will take you back and forth to the park. NP entrance fees apply.

Blanding, UT. It may be too late in the year but try to catch the Native American Cultural Center performance in town. Family style dining followed by the outdoor performance.

Albuquerque NM balloon festival around the same time as LOE, perhaps the following weekend.

Transportation to and from hotel

I plan on arriving with my son Saturday morning and departing Sunday morning. I really only need transportation to the hotel Saturday night and then back to the airport Sunday morning. I don't really want to get a rental car for just that. Is there any other transportation available (e.g. shuttle, etc)?

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for all the suggestions on places to visit. Looks like we will be leaving Indy this Saturday and hit Vegas, Laughlin the CA Valley and then back to attend LOE the following weekend.

I plan on arriving with my son Saturday morning and departing Sunday morning. I really only need transportation to the hotel Saturday night and then back to the airport Sunday morning. I don't really want to get a rental car for just that. Is there any other transportation available (e.g. shuttle, etc)?

Thanks,

Jason
Jason, there will be lots of other people that will be renting cars and almost all of them will be staying in the same general area. I would suggest striking up a conversation or holding out a thumb. I wouldn't expect any trouble at all getting a ride.

Enterprise

I called Enterprise for my car reservation this morning and was told they have rented all the cars available for the LOE fly-in. Will look into alternatives.

Worse comes to worse, I can drive from home.

Last edited:
I called Enterprise for my car reservation this morning and was told they have rented all the cars available for the LOE fly-in. Will look into alternatives.

I got the same info yesterday from Javier! Unfortunately, I'm too far away to drive. If anyone has any other leads on rental cars, please advise. The Avis link has been taken down and when I tried to check availability online, the Remcon Circle office doesn't come up, only the El Paso airport office seems to have cars. :(

Hmmm....we hadn't made firm plans yet, as we're going to be on our way home from Oregon, and not sure when we'll arrive at LOE. Guess it's too late on the rental cars - may be putting out the ol' hitch-hiking thumb!

Paul

A few days ago there was some information from Wes Hays about a good rental deal at Santa Teresa with the cars to be picked up at an FBO there. I can't find the information now though. Anyone?

AVIS

To reserve an Avis car and have it delivered to the FBO, go to AirNav and plug in 5T6, you will find an Avis link on that page that knows about the FBO. The direct Avis web page does not. You must have an Avis wizard number. We will see if a car shows up.

Hmmm....we hadn't made firm plans yet, as we're going to be on our way home from Oregon, and not sure when we'll arrive at LOE. Guess it's too late on the rental cars - may be putting out the ol' hitch-hiking thumb!

Paul

Paul,
I have a couple of seats available in my car (3 confirmed in a car that seats 5) working out of the La Quinta on Remcon Circle if you and Louise are interested.

Ride Sharing Board

I guess I will just show up and hope to find a ride... Maybe the LOE organizers can setup a ride sharing board at the airport where people can indicate they have a need for a ride at a certain time and people with room in their cars can check the board and offer rides.

Need ride or rental car info

An RV-7 & RV-8 (4 folks) are flying in from Kansas City -- Enterprise is sold out and AVIS said they will not deliver cars for this event. An AirNav poster indicated bad service from Hertz on a pervious visit. Anyone have extra seats or other rental car info. We have reservations at the MicroTel. Thanks in advance.

Bill Gill
RV-7 N151WP
Lee's Summit, MO
913-271-0988 cell

1 Rental car cancelled today

Well I reserved a car two weeks ago and found out over this weekend that I've stretched myself to far in activities for October. So I've decided that I'll have to nix LOE this year and have canceled my reservation. :mad: So you'd better call quick! I've tried the last two years to make it but no go. I'll get there sometime though before they cancel the event. As dad would say "One of these days..." Have fun guys and gals! Please take tons of photos for me.

It's a very short drive from the hotels to the airport. So someone could even play shuttle if they had to.

A few days ago there was some information from Wes Hays about a good rental deal at Santa Teresa with the cars to be picked up at an FBO there. I can't find the information now though. Anyone?

Larry,

I think that was Russ Davies out of Lubbock and it was with Avis. I did as he suggested and created a Wizard account and when I tried to reserve thru them, the link was gone. All that comes up is cars at El Paso International.
That's why I made my post for more info.
If no cars are available, looks like we're staying home. I want to do more than back and forth to the hotel area.

I think Tanya is working our backup plan to drop her into El Paso Intl. at the FBO to get a car if the other car plans fall through. Maybe she'll just rent a shuttle bus if we end up having to drop into El Paso to pick up (and drop off) a car :).

Land Of Enchantment RV Flyin

Can someone tell me what the charitable organization is for the Land Of Enchantment RV Fly-In Raffle this year 2009?

Back