What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3i and Ignition Timing Advance

sc_acro2

Hello Curious,

The G3i system does not have a built in ignition timing advance. However, timing module can be added. Upon extensive in flight-testing with different timing/power settings and altitudes. We found a very minimal amount of benefits if any, from advancing the ignition timing. With the Generation 3 Ignition system. The G3i system is so efficient on burning the air/fuel mixture with its Multiple Spark Discharge @ standard timing configurations there is no reason to push/advance the timing up to run on the edge of detonation to gain the very minimal if any benefits. The system is capable however of receiving a maximum advanced trigger signal that can be removed from in flight. With a maximum adjustable range of 15 degrees of retard or advance depending on how you look at it. By a MSD timing control module as shown in the installation manual. Personally, I use the timing control option to remove timing from my mags that are set @ 25 degrees (stock default) that is controlled by a adjustable manifold pressure switch for when I am in the higher boost ranges. Bottom line is that our engines are large displacement, low rpm that does require exotic timing curves for performance and economy, just an efficient ignition system.

Sincerely,

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Last edited:
Back