What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Improvement to Vans governor bracket

scsmith

Well Known Member
Hi all,

A number of discussions here have noted that if you install Vans governor bracket, VA-153, as instructed, there is not enough room to install the bolt through the control arm of the governor. A shorter bolt would not have the necessary shoulder bearing area.

So, I made an easy modification to mine that solves this problem and seems to work great. I just bent the end tab on the bracket that anchors the control cable housing through an angle of 180 degrees and mounted everything aft of the bracket. Here, assuming it works, is a .pdf file that shows the arrangement:

governorbracket.pdf

I made the bend hot with a torch, and I didn't feel it necessary to reinforce the bend with a doubler, but that would be easy to do. Enjoy.

Last edited:
governor cable length

Oh, one last thing. On my RV-8, with the delux quadrant, and the firewall pass-through hole as shown on the drawing, the best control cable length I found (independent of this modification to the bracket) is 48".

I have an extra 55" cable if anyone wants one. $30+$7shipping.

Oh, one last thing. On my RV-8, with the delux quadrant, and the firewall pass-through hole as shown on the drawing, the best control cable length I found (independent of this modification to the bracket) is 48".

I have an extra 55" cable if anyone wants one. $30+$7shipping.

I think the 55" is for an IO-360 with a fwd mounted gov.

Governor bracket mod and install

This is a thread-bump, since I couldn't figure out how to copy the link url to add to another thread. Lots of people are in the middle of installing/replacing governors right now so I think this should be handy. Works great.

Last edited:
Back