What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-B1E to vertical induction

jdeas

Well Known Member
Besides changing the sump and intake tubes, is there anything else that I would have to change on a B1E rear induction to change over to vertical induction?
Will the throttle body still work in the vertical position or are they somewhat like carbs where gravity and a float come into play.

(Anyone what to trade a rear sump for a vertical one?):rolleyes:

I haven't made that switch, but the injector will run in any attitude without modification. Have you considered a horizontal induction from the front? Perhaps from Superior (if still available) or ECI?

Pete

Vertical indcution due to crossover exhaust

Pete,
I am a fan of the crossover exhaust system feeling it was more important to me than horizontal induction for performance. Given the exhuast locations I will have to stick with a vertical system.
One of the other items I saw in the forum had to do with keeping the engine certified with a form 337?
This is another thing I need more information on if losing the B1E sump changes the number of hours I must fly off.

JD

Converting engine from B1E to another Cert. Model

This is a fairly easy process. You can go to the FAA website and look up the Type Data Certificate for the engine model you are converting (B1E.) If the engine has the same certificate number as another p/h IO-360 with a vertical sump such as a B1B, B1D, B1F, etc., etc., you can change the sump and keep the engine as a certified conversion.

Of course, the change will need to be completed and signed off by an A&P or certified repair station. The appropriate data plate correction and logbook entry will need to be made.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Lycoming Service Instruction 1304J deals with log entries, 337's and data plates for converted certified Lycoming engines.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

O360 assembly

Have nothing to offer on induction <^> system direction.
V
So I'm coming out of left field with this question. Does anyone have disassembly/ assembly pictures on IO360 A1A Angle valve 200hp (or similar) ? I have Lycoming Overhaul Manual. Just haven't got the ---- to split the case with out knowing.

FAA search

Guys,
Thanks for the information. I will take a deep breath and start the FAA search this week.

Best Regards,

IO-360 B1E conversion

I have fitted a converted B1E to my 7A, the engine originally came from a Lancair. It now has a forward facing fuel servo, the same one that was originally fitted at the back. It appears that the sump was modified with a new internal tube for the forward facing servo and a new mounting pad welded to the sump.
I contacted Vans about the installation and they replied that to their knowledge a B1E had never been fitted to an rv before. It has been now!!
The only problems I have had are the Vetterman exhaust from Vans did not fit, I ended up modifying it and it now clears the induction tube and nose gear socket on the engine mount. I did contact Larry Vetterman about the exhaust and he did offer to manufacture a new one to fit, I chose to modify mine but would next time have Larry manufacture a new one for me. The fiberglass induction system from Vans also would not work and I have manufactured a new one using Scat tubing.
I believe on some IO 360 B1E's there was a 45 degree bend that was fitted to the sump / fuel servo, After looking at this option i think it would clear the engine mount and would need no modifications to the induction.
If you would like some pics let me know and I'll send them through.

Cheers
Michael Haynes

B1E rear induction

I did think about using the rear induction with and without an elbow but there didn't appear to be enough room between the sump and the engine mount.
I went ahead an ordered a vertical sump and am now considering an elbow on it to face the servo forward.
This should give me some ram air effect as well as the ability to us the crossover exhaust.

Back