Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Advanced Aero Components, Carbon Fiber Tip Tanks!

Thank you for your interest in our products.

We have developed wing tip tanks to suit the RV 6, 7, 8. When assembled, these wing tips are identical in physical size with a small weight increase to the standard tips with the added bonus of being fuel tanks holding an extra 9.5 gallons or 36 liters per side to increase your range. This is the max capacity possible to keep your aircraft within the correct C of G limits.

The RV tip kit consists of: a pair of carbon fiber wing tip skins fused together with internal ribs bonded in place; 2 Standard RV fuel caps; 2 AN fuel pickups; 2 fuel finger strainers; vent line stock; tube of fuel seal; resin and glass for final rib bond in.

The only assembly required is the main rib has to be bonded in once the inside of the tip is fuel sealed. The kit comes with step by step instructions and is very simple to assemble and install.

Once completed, your new tips simply attach to your wings exactly the same way your standard tips did. The new tip is placed on top of your wing, whilst you connect the fuel lines and then flip them over to screw the tips on.

We also offer a wing tip installation kit. This kit consists of all the hardware, lines and 2 pumps to connect your new tip tanks to the main tanks. See our website for pricing.

To secure a pair of RV wing tip tanks a 20% deposit is required. Currently there is a 6 week lead time due to high demand.
If you wish to proceed, email us your full name and delivery address and we will issue you with an invoice and payment details.

Over the next few weeks we will be posting a YouTube video on how to fit these tips.

We currently have a pdf installation diagram now posted on our web page for your viewing, http://www.advancedaero.com/vans.html , and a basic picture of the tip there as well.
We will be posting more pictures over the next few weeks.

If we can help in any way, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Advanced Aero C Team
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Tip Tanks

Hi All,

I've made the existing wing tips into tanks on both an RV-6A ans an RV-7A. The method of implementation was to keep it as simple as possible. Just a direct 3/8" line between the tip tank and the main tank. No vent on the main tank (original one capped off) and a dual venting system on the tip tank. One vent either back to the original fuselage venting system, and just intot he underside of the wing near the tip. The second vent is connected to the tip vent with a "T" and a check valve insde the wing near the tip.
This plumbing method doesn't require additional wiring for a pump between tanks, uses gavety to flow fuel out of the tips into the mains. Fuel level gages/floats in the root end of the main tank measure only the last 15 gals (in an RV-7A) of fuel in the combined tanks on each side. Your fuel totalizer will indicate that is left above that amount.
I used the original tips from Vans by coating the insides with epoxy and glass, added baffling, the wall, vevting and finger strainer fuel pickups. The tanks are mounted ontot he wings with #6 screws using Van's original hole patter.
The tips hold 9.5 gals, resulting in 60 usable gals in the RV-7A.....
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonglass View Post
Thank you for your interest in our products.

We have developed wing tip tanks to suit the RV 6, 7, 8. When assembled, these wing tips are identical in physical size with a small weight increase to the standard tips with the added bonus of being fuel tanks holding an extra 9.5 gallons or 36 liters per side to increase your range. This is the max capacity possible to keep your aircraft within the correct C of G limits.
Regards, Advanced Aero C Team
what do you use to ensure no leaks?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
Is it possible to get them with the deluxe fuel caps??
Yes! At an extra cost.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7 View Post
what do you use to ensure no leaks?
Good workmanship, and they are leak checked and tested before being shipped out.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
Hi All,

I've made the existing wing tips into tanks on both an RV-6A ans an RV-7A. The method of implementation was to keep it as simple as possible. Just a direct 3/8" line between the tip tank and the main tank. No vent on the main tank (original one capped off) and a dual venting system on the tip tank. One vent either back to the original fuselage venting system, and just intot he underside of the wing near the tip. The second vent is connected to the tip vent with a "T" and a check valve insde the wing near the tip.
This plumbing method doesn't require additional wiring for a pump between tanks, uses gavety to flow fuel out of the tips into the mains. Fuel level gages/floats in the root end of the main tank measure only the last 15 gals (in an RV-7A) of fuel in the combined tanks on each side. Your fuel totalizer will indicate that is left above that amount.
I used the original tips from Vans by coating the insides with epoxy and glass, added baffling, the wall, vevting and finger strainer fuel pickups. The tanks are mounted ontot he wings with #6 screws using Van's original hole patter. The tips hold 9.5 gals, resulting in 60 usable gals in the RV-7A.....
Did you remember to fuel seal them?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Rv 10 & 14 tip tanks?

Advanced Aero Components will soon be releasing new style Carbon fiber wing tip tanks for the RV 10 & 14.

They are expected to hold around 13 Galons per side.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Advanced Aero Components will soon be releasing new style Carbon fiber wing tip tanks for the RV 10 & 14.

They are expected to hold around 13 Galons per side.
keep up the good work!

where's the youtube vid you guys had mentioned putting online?

Please do not PM me but email me instead
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Default Tip Tanks

Quote:
Did you remember to fuel seal them?
The epoxy and glass is the same as what Rutan uses in the Easy's.. Same process as well...

Fred Stucklen
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Default My Advanced Aero wingtip tanks

I'm building an F-1 Rocket but I've gotten plenty of good info from this forum in the past and have avoided building mistakes as a result. Maybe someone here considering wingtip fuel tanks will do the same.

I bought a set of wingtip fuel tanks from Advanced Aero Components in mid June of this year. Mid July I was told they were complete and would ship shortly. Ten days later I e-mailed to ask about expected delivery and four weeks after that I received a response expressing suprise I hadn't received my parts yet and ensuring me that they were checking into it. Two weeks later I was informed that the shipper had lost the package, but not to worry as they had already shipped another set. (this was 1 Sept) When I asked for more specifics about shipping/ arrival, I was told on 7 September that they had shipped the day prior and they provided me with a Fedex tracking number Fedex had no record of. That was the last communication I ever received from the company. I finally received my windtips about the 24th of October - they had shipped on the 15th.

Worse still, the left wingtip doesn't fit. The profile is mostly correct but about a third of the way down the bottom side of the wing from the leading edge the shape begins to diverge and is nearly 3/10" too big at the aft underside of the wing. Since both the fuel tanks and the wing are ridgid structures, I was forced to tear out the fiberglass rib that caps the tank and remake the part with the correct profile. I'm still not done as I'm waiting on epoxy/ proseal, and various other parts needed to complete. The right wingtip appears to fit, although I haven't attached it yet. Six months and $4k later I am left building my own tanks (at least one anyhow) I provided this info to the company with pictures and asking for help/ advise and never got a response. Buyer beware.

I very rarely post on forums, but I believe you can e-mail me if you would like to see pics.

Bill