What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decoding Lycoming Serial # ??

Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
Is there a way to trace the history of an engine by its serial number? I've tried googling different searches but can't come up with anything. I have an O235-L2C, serail number L-16502-15. Does that number mean anything? Year manufactured?? Anything?

I have an old Chevy pickup truck and from the VIN number can figure out where and when it rolled off the assembly line. I'm wondering if something the same exists for an aircraft engine.

Lycoming Engine Info

Yes!
Sacremento Sky Ranch Engineering Manual has most of the info you're looking for.

Have the Book

Hi Frank,

I have the book but can't find the info...there is a chapter on Lycoming Engine Specifications but it seems to relate to model numbers and not serial numbers. Maybe I'm missing it??

Hey Don,

Give Lycoming a call in the morning. They will be able to give you the history, as they know it on your engine.

BTW, how is the plane coming along?

Hi Bill,

I am hanging the engine on Saturday and I have all my printouts of helpful hints from VAF. There is light at the end of the tunnel...I hope to have it in the air around Thanksgiving...we'll see. I refer to your website often.

Bill, you were right. I called Lycoming this morning and they were great. Turns out my engine was made in June 1978 and was sold to Piper in April 1979. It was installed in a Piper Tomahawk which was sold to a person in California. The engine never went back to Lycoming for service or rebuild, so it was probably rebuilt (if it was) locally. I bought it in June of 2008 as a zero time rebuild. Cool. Thanks for the info.

Good to hear they were helpful.

I hope the final 90% goes quickly. ;)

Give me a call, if you any questions.

Back