What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Oil Door, Hartwell

Rick6a

Well Known Member
RV Building Tips/Techniques
"A place to 'give' out tips and tricks to make the next person's RV building experience easier."

Recently, a fellow builder asked if I would assemble his oil door using Hartwell latches and the Hidden Hinge. He supplied the parts, I supplied the labor. As I quietly worked at home, it occured to me that the RV world is as much frame of mind as it is building and flying fast airplanes. Helping others to fulfill their dreams is also part of the RV experience.

29470k6.jpg

Nice pictures!

I'm doing my oil door today! I decided to try using .063 aluminum for my door - just to see how it comes out. If I'm not happy, I can always go back to the fiberglass. Your pictures gave me some good ideas on how to support the door from opening inward. Gotta build up that support tomorrow.

Thanks!

Thanks Rick! My finish kit ships in a week. I just found someone selling a bunch of the hartwell latches on ebay for $5 each, and snagged a pair.

Frame of mind

Thanks for helping me fulfill my dreams Rick. I have the same latches & hidden hinge and thanks to you I now have a illustrated step by step visual instruction sheet. You have removed some of the fear of tackling this task.

Rick cut out the entire opening. I cut mine out 3/8" smaller in all directions except the top, which was relieved to match the door. No need to build up at all. Beveling the bottom side of the door itself after trimming to the opening size allowed it to fit down flush with the cowling surface.

By the way, a kudos to justrvparts.com. My hinge's spring broke right at about 40 hours. I called them, ready to order a replacement and spares. I was told that they do see some breakage but rarely and I am getting a couple of springs gratis. Classy.

A quick question about the lip

I've been pondering the oil door installation as I stand in the long lines here with the family at the "happiest place on earth", Disneyland. When using the door as the form for the lip, what is the best way to keep the wetted fiberglass from sticking to the door? I've read you can use wax but would a piece of plastic tape placed between the door edge and the glass build up serve the same purpose?

And remember,

It's a small world after all,

It's a small world after all.

Now that I've implanted that song into everybody's head, it is now time for me to go! Hee, hee. Yo, ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me!

Smooth packing tape, duct tape, even electrical tape. Spraying on some mold release over the tape can help. Polyvinyl actetate (PVA, aka yellow carpenters wood glue) works as well.

Back