What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Put yourself on the map!

JohnR

Well Known Member
I got this link from an email list. Maybe most of you have already seen it but I thought it was interesting. It is a map of RV7 locations. It only had 6 location listed when I first looked and is now up to 14. Check it out.

http://www.frappr.com/rv7

Whoever started the RV7 map should change it to a generic RV map, so we can all be on the same map.

Not sure who started it

I'm not sure who started it. I got the link from a Yahoo email I believe but have deleted it so can't go back and look. Dan C. might know as I saw he was one of the first 6 listed. I have a feeling it will get pretty crowded on there!

Original Message

Here's the original post on the RV7and7A Yahoo group:

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 3:03 PM
Subject: [RV7Yahoo] Frappr! RV7 Group Map

Hey all,

I have been informed of Google's new Group Map site, Frappr! by my
friends on the Stinson Yahoo Group.

You gotta check it out and post your zip code on the set up. Take a
look at it and you will understand!!! Way too cool!!

I've set one up for the RV7 group, as well.

www.frappr.com/rv7

-or-

to see one that is farther along, check out the Stinson guys at

www.frappr.com/stinson

Hope it catches on!

Sam

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/1yWplB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Van's Air Force - World Wide Wing
www.vansaircraft.net

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV7and7A/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dan,

You forgot the Pietenpol map.

As building one RV map, as Dave P. mentioned, I think with all the planes flying and under construction all you would see are the place markers as it would get too crowded.

WHat is the big deal here.
I guess I dont get it.
Lets say every RV owner got a dot on there. THen what?

Dont get the value. I already get all the rvs registered through the FAA, a complete list by state and zip if I want.

it beats working

Kahuna said:
I guess I dont get it.

Dont get the value. I already get all the rvs registered through the FAA, a complete list by state and zip if I want.

LOL. How about this for "value": looking at the map beats working!!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Why

Kahuna,
you wonder why folks would post their location on the linked site, I did it so I can see if there are any builders close by that I am not aware of--------and so any such can find me. I dont think I need to explain the value of having other builders available for ideas, consultation etc, afterall what is THIS site for if not the same thing.

As for others, who knows???? If I was already flying, I would surely like to make the fact known.

Mike

I had the same thought, Kahuna. But, after giving it a little thought, I could see a use in, for example, a map of where everyone came from for LOE'05. I know we already have the registration data, but several people just showed up, and a map like this might give some interesting data (although its usefulness is debatable <g>). Also, we don't have to crunch the data - it gets crunched for us.

New thought: If I had that map I could use it to contact specific FBO's next year in 'heavily traveled corridors' for a fuel discount in exchange for exposure.

Kinda related....I visit a Satellite Passes site often to see what satellites are passing over my house each evening (watching the ISS pass over is a fun thing to do with kids). They have a map similar to this HERE showing where people visit from (you enter your long/lat to get the data).
fmi: http://www.heavens-above.com/

Like Dan said, fun to do instead of work <g>.

Best,
Doug

I think it's useful!

I think it's useful! :D I'm moving to Abilene, so I have searched for builders on Doug's RV White Pages, but I don't have a clue where most of the Texas towns are. For all I know, they're 1000 miles away. With the map, I can zoom in on Abilene and see the balloons around the area even though I'm not familar with town names. $0.01.

I don't know as it is useful. But it is kind of interesting. :) I think it is actually not much good from a data aspect as anyone can add a reference point at any time.

Some of the ideas mentioned by Doug are good though. I wonder if Google might offer an interface to this to developers which would allow better data source control, if so Doug's ideas would work quite well.

Just some thoughts. ;)

Data Sync

If this could be automatically synced with the data from Doug's white pages or the data source for Dan's RV registry, then you'd have something useful. If each person has to load their own data in, it'll take a while before it's of any use. I nominate someone else to do it.

JohnR said:
Some of the ideas mentioned by Doug are good though. I wonder if Google might offer an interface to this to developers which would allow better data source control, if so Doug's ideas would work quite well.

Just to set the record straight, Google didn't make the frappr.com site. (I suspect they would have found a better name.) The people that developed that site are using the Google Maps API, just as I did to make runwayfinder.com. It would actually be fairly easy to put Doug's white page entries on a map. Not sure it would be that useful, though.

Not convinced

Kahuna said:
Well Im not convinced.
Novelty for a couple days then gone I suspect.
Or bought by Google for 50 million dollars. I think it's a great idea.

Count me as thinking its usefull ...

... from the standpoint of knowing physically where fellow RV builders are located. Consider this ... you're workin away on your project, and somehow a rather large odd shaped component gets damaged. UPS and USMAIL won't handle a package of that size/shape. The only way to get it is via freight. First thing I would do is find someone local that is going to receive a crated shipment from Vans and have them pack the replacement item in it for you.

Kahuna said:
I guess I dont get it.

The FAA site will only tell you about planes far enough along (completed or nearly so) that are registered. This site can be useful for those of us still in dream mode who want to find builders in our local area. Of course the best list ever can be requested from Vans itself - but my list is two years out of date now...

Just catching up

I think what most people use the Frappr concept for is to show where other "like minded" people are located.... Let's say you were going to Oklahoma and wanted to know where other RV'rs are.... You could look them up this way and find contact info.

I know that's what the Lancair guys use it for. It actually get's used pretty often based upon the posts to their lists..

www.frappr.com/lancair

Think about it, what if the "white pages" or builders list were all entered this way. You can update your picture with the latest status and others could find local builders easily, or you could know where to go to see finished projects, without the "anyone in XXX building an RV" post beforehand.

Last edited:
Bump with summary

A recent thread highlighted the desire to connect. I remembered something in the forums that had a map connection. Kind of a visual representation of the RVWP.

In frappr, I've found the following RV related maps:

I recommend putting your pushpin on the RV map, as we all respect each model and the pilots/builders of them. This could be as useful as the RVWP.

I'm gonna try to go through Doug's white pages and put a map together -- slowly. And have the pop-ups indicate contact information, whether they're flying, a picture, and information on whether they accept visits etc, and see how it looks.

To make up to my friends in S.D., I'm thinking of starting there.

I'm gonna try to go through Doug's white pages and put a map together -- slowly. And have the pop-ups indicate contact information, whether they're flying, a picture, and information on whether they accept visits etc, and see how it looks.

To make up to my friends in S.D., I'm thinking of starting there.

I did another Google map (and, sadly, still am), but it's got nothing to do with RVs.

Kahuna said:
The FAA doesn't have jurisdiction over the whole world. So these maps could provide useful info for some people.

But, I agree that these maps will almost certainly become a passing fad, unless they are driven by a large, active community.

Back