What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you start an IO360 without prop?

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a burning desire to fire up a mid time IO360 before I have a prop. What is the conventional wisdom of running the engine for a minute or so without a prop? Someone told me it needs a prop to be balanced, but I'm not sure about that, having experience with auto engines but not aircraft. Any A&Ps out there that can help answer?

2nd question..
The starter teeth look partially engaged with the flywheel teeth when I received the engine. I haven't powered the starter yet, but wondering if its just in need of lube. For all I know, the previou owner had the starter out and powered it up off the engine, leaving the shaft extended. Just curious if anyone has seen that before. I should probably just power it up for short spin to see if it retracts. Just a new guy thinking outloud here;)

Thanks

Don't start that engine!

..without a prop or a test-club (a dummy prop used in engine test cells.)

This is not a car engine in a junkyard!

I have a burning desire to fire up a mid time IO360 before I have a prop. What is the conventional wisdom of running the engine for a minute or so without a prop? Someone told me it needs a prop to be balanced, but I'm not sure about that, having experience with auto engines but not aircraft. Any A&Ps out there that can help answer?

2nd question..
The starter teeth look partially engaged with the flywheel teeth when I received the engine. I haven't powered the starter yet, but wondering if its just in need of lube. For all I know, the previou owner had the starter out and powered it up off the engine, leaving the shaft extended. Just curious if anyone has seen that before. I should probably just power it up for short spin to see if it retracts. Just a new guy thinking outloud here;)

Thanks

Auto engines have a fly wheel and can be run without any other load although will over speed very easily if you're not careful.

The Lycoming has no fly wheel and probably will over speed if started with no load. I would not do it, especially if just to see it it will run.

The starter being partially extended is normal after it is powered with no engine start. When the engine starts it will retract.

I have a burning desire to fire up a mid time IO360 before I have a prop.

Dude no way!
nono.gif

if you only idled it, what could be the problem? only asking...........
Two things, the staring sequence will/may cause the engine to over speed and second, the prop works like a flywheel to dampen out the power pulses.

Just wait, it won't be long now.

I never even connected the power lead to the starter until I was at the airport just to avoid an accidently engagement.

Don't do it w/o some type of load on your engine. Remember, when you start up your car engine it has a flywheel attached to dampen things out, you won't even have that.

Starter explanation is what I thought. Thanks.

On the engine, I am cautious enough and old :eek: enough to ask around. My burning desire to start the engine is the same burning desire to finish the -6A and fly. All in due time, for sure.
Thanks. :D

The fly wheel on a car engine is very similar in weight to the flywheel on the Lyc if the car engine is automatic. So theroetically you could do it. As was said earlier the starting sequence will give cause to most likely over rev the engine even if for a second. Another thing to consider is that the IO 360 series most likely has an internally dampened crankshaft. Running the engine without the weight of a balanced prop will damage the crank. I short I would not recommend it.

The torque converter on an auto engine is part of the flywheel..Most likely, the aircraft engine will not start without a club as there will not be enough energy stored in the flywheel to get the pistons over tdc....may backfire and damage some internals too. Definately not worth the risk to try....

Well, yes---But,

To answer the question asked, yes you can.

You can also put your nose between the jaws of your pneumatic squeezer, and hit the trigger.:eek:

The real issue here, is should you do either of these activities????

Personally, I would recommend against both.

To answer the question asked, yes you can.

You can also put your nose between the jaws of your pneumatic squeezer, and hit the trigger.:eek:

The real issue here, is should you do either of these activities????

Personally, I would recommend against both.

I've seen a guy get his hand in a squeezer and it aint pretty. Or, stick your hand in a running prop - end result is equally as painful - I happen to know !:)

Anyway, Ditto on what Mike said....although, would you believe I've seen this done with someones spare tire bolted to the crank as a "load". Seemed to work, but didn't seem to be smart!

My 2 cents....no good reason I can think of for you to start it without the prop on it. Nothing to be gained, much to be lost.

Cheers,
Stein

Depending on your location, go to the local prop shop ask for a old run out prop, and hook that btc up and run it no harm in that. But these engines are desinged to run with a prop.

Back