What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra hole in VS rear spar & doubler

llavalle

Well Known Member
When riveting the rear spar on my -9 emp, I found an extra hole. It's in the middle of the spar, just over the 2 first lighting holes.

extrahole1.jpg

extrahole2.jpg

The hole was the exact same size as the other ones. Should I put a rivet in there? Its not shown on the plans.

I'm not going to rivet the rear spar anyway (pre-close inspection required in Canada) so I can still work on it.

Thanks

I didn't

The plans don't even show that hole, but they do show two other holes at the same latitude with a comment drill in assembly with fuselage.

Look at DWG 27/27A

I had the same question.
I think this hole is the center one of the three holes that appear on DWG 27/27A, view A-A as "Aft elevator stop to aft deck rivets".
Maybe others having reached this point can confirm?

My VS is about 3 years old, and it did not come with that hole, but the drawings do have the "...drill in assembly..." comment. I would not put a rivet there yet.

John

I think this hole is the center one of the three holes that appear on DWG 27/27A, view A-A as "Aft elevator stop to aft deck rivets".

You are right. Here is a picture showing them from the fuselage side (at the bottom is the tie down bar):

IMG_3017.JPG

Don't worry about it for now and drill it when you are ready to mount the VS to fuselage.

I can't recall where I read it, but I recall that hole on the -8 will be used to ensure correct alignment in the vertical sense when installing the VS.

My plans are elsewhere, but I will give some thought to where I read the information.

Thank you for the info.

I will leave the hole in the doubler and rear spar alone.

Have a great holiday

I called Vans less than 2 months ago about that very hole and was told very tersely to leave it open. No other explanation was given, nor did I press for any.

I had the exact question about the hole. I emailed Vans and they responed as follows:

On 23 Mar 2010 at 20:11, Michael Vinciguerra wrote:

>
> Vans,
> Attached is a picture showing the Vertical Stab rear spar (808PP
> Doubler, 803PP Spar). In the picture you can see I have arrowed(with a
> question mark) a hole that is not shown in the drawing for the RV-9. I
> understand that the two outboard holes are to be drilled at assembly,
> but I do not see the center hole on the print.
> Do I fill it with a countersunk rivet or do not fill it? It was
> predrilled upon Cleco?ng in place.
>
> Thanks
>
Reply from Ken Scott(Vans Empoyee)

C'sunk rivet.

Back