What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rack

okiejohn

I wanted to build a wing rack, and the standard EAA wing racks are no good for transporting the wings, anyway.

I imagined a RV-12 trailer, in which the wings are stored on the sides of the trailer. The spar could be set on a narrow shelf on the front of the trailer, and the wing tiedown could hold a drilled threaded pin ( like a tractor pin) that could poke out and be locked down.

Could that be why we threaded the top AEX tiedoens on the wing spar?

Anyway, I built a stand, using the spar box and $6.00 worth of 2*4 boards.

5dlC7rGlHFiux6fbpqcX4A

I supported the spars on a 2*4 shelf, reinforced with plywood.

P44b-iD-eHuIldEbKB8ueg

I made a plywood hook that hooks onto the wing handhold, and still leaves room for fingers.

MLmvrTjni5oVO5s9k48RFQ

There could be room in the middle for the Horiz stab assembly, and on the end for the vstab ( between the spars.)

John

EAA Wing Stand

I noticed that threads on building wing stands don't get a lot of hits, so all you guys that started with wing kits must have already built some kind of storage arrangement. Those of us who started with the empennage kit and are now on wings will need some way to store the wings while the rest of the build is going on, so for me the the EAA Wing Stand looked good. I have no idea yet what my future airplane storage will be, but the wing stand is a near term necessity.
Here is the lumber cut to the EAA plan:
499689206_7Aa4F-L.jpg

This is it screwed together:
499689210_9m9Uv-L.jpg

And done:
500185710_Kzozc-L.jpg

I don't have a stock of wood pieces so had to buy most of the material. The cost was about $50 including the castors and a box of good deck screws. I had some old carpeting on hand. Most guys can probably make this from stuff on hand.
Tony

For those of you thinking of building your wing rack, the shipping material from Vans makes great corner gussets. Recycle when you can.

Back