What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Aft Mounted Battery Drawing

rswalden

Well Known Member
Friend
Following is Van's Drawing OP-16 which details the rear mounted battery location for the RV-7.

RV7AftBatteryDrawing

This drawing was included in Van's early RV-7/7A plans, but was eliminated later on as deemed not necessary. I'm putting my battery here since it nicely balances the forward cg of a heavier 200/210 hp engine & nosegear configuration. Taildraggers or lighter engine versions should always go with the standard firewall battery mount.

Construction is simple, and requires ordering one extra F-729A rib (for $11.50). I'm grounding the battery to the airframe here (per Bob Nuckolls AeroElectric Connection), and running the heavy gauge + battery feed & battery switch wires through black tubing to the forward firewall. A smaller gauge power feed from the battery for my flaps & pitch/roll trim goes directly to CBs on the flap motor housing, with stick trim/flap relays located under the right passenger seat. This saves a few wire runs from the instrument panel.

I hope this helps someone out there...

Cheers,
:)

Last edited:
Following is Van's Drawing OP-16 which details the rear mounted battery location for the RV-7.

This drawing was included in Van's early RV-7/7A plans, but was eliminated later on as deemed not necessary. I'm putting my battery here since it nicely balances the forward cg of a heavier 200/210 hp engine & nosegear configuration.
I hope this helps someone out there...
Cheers,
:)

I believe the reason it was eliminated was that the original RV-7 prototype (now RV-7A) was found to be a very slight bit further aft for empty C.G. to give it good baggage utility when the fuel tanks were burned down to minimum fuel (the more critical C.G. situation in the side by side RV models). This was with an angle valve IO-360 and constant speed prop.

Back