What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Caster wheels for a small garage

flyingbeaver26

I wanted to share my design of some casters I made for my rv-8. I have a 1 car garage so putting the plane up on wheels would prevent me from being able to slide the fuse from side-to-side. Plus, it makes the fuse a little lower to the ground and easier to continue to work on. I bought a 4' piece of AL angle at Home depot, cut to length, and bolted these casters on. each caster is rated to 250#. I had to re-drill the mounting holes as you may notice once I got it sitting on the gear. I also used a couple of extra washers to level the caster so that it would swivel easily. The axle is mounted on the inside so that I could use the stock AN4 bolt for this assembly.-Brad

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Last edited:
That's nice. I don't have the landing gear installed yet so here's what I did:

2x4 with a slot cut out for the 5/8" axle to fit in and 2 hand truck wheels.
2x4s bolted vertically to the plywood that came installed in the spar slots on a QB fuse.
Vertical 2x4 tail stand bolted to the end of the fuse.
RV%20Build%20Log%20355.jpg

RV%20Build%20Log%20361.jpg

RV%20Build%20Log%20358.jpg

Dave,

This looks an awful lot like an early version that I had before I mounted the engine. Those Harbor Freight wheels are rated for only 300 pounds each however so I "doubled up" per side for the heavier RV-10. A short 5/8" thereaded rod connects the two wheels on each side.

I've drilled and mounted my main landing gear but if I leave them on, I would not be able to exit my work area. Until I move out of my current work area, I will leave them on my 2X4 main landing gear.

Fuselage00b.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

This looks an awful lot like an early version that I had before I mounted the engine. Those Harbor Freight wheels are rated for only 300 pounds each however so I "doubled up" per side for the heavier RV-10. A short 5/8" thereaded rod connects the two wheels on each side.

I've drilled and mounted my main landing gear but if I leave them on, I would not be able to exit my work area. Until I move out of my current work area, I will leave them on my 2X4 main landing gear.

Fuselage00b.jpg

I like the power-plug idea on the right main. :)

Back