What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Six

Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
I've had several questions regarding the Barnes' Stormer so I'll try to answer them. The Barnes' Stormer is solely based on N600SS, the original Super Six. N600SS was built by Tom Hallendorf with the help of some retired aerospace engineers. It is now owned by Bob Mills. N600SS has H.R. type wings that were clipped 7" I believe. Mine are full length but have added structure. The Barnes' Stormer has 26 gal. per tank, while N600SS has the original 19 gal.. The Barnes' Stormer an RV8 tail, while N600SS has a std. RV 6 tail, both work fine. The Barnes' Stormer is 10" longer from F6 aft. N600SS is 8", both work fine. My battery, a gel cell is just behind F7.

The engine used in both N600SS and mine is a Lyc. IO540 C4B5 10:1 pistons and flow balanced. These engines dyno at more than 300HP

Thicker skins were used on the fuselage of both planes.
.032 were used on F673, 674, 675, 676, 677, and 678
.040 were used on F670, 671, 673, and 679

I have a 23# custom engine mount on the Barnes stormer, John Harmon titanium gear, and heavier duty brakes. Most other systems are as per Vans.

Empty Wt. 1301. C.G. empty, no fuel 10 qts. oil is 68.79" This was pretty much guess work on the battery placement for C. G. and it couldn't have been more perfect all the way around. With 440# of pilot and passenger, 5 gallons of fuel and 150# of baggage my C.G. is 76.17". When I'm flying solo with full fuel, no luggage, my pitch is amazingly light (MY rv4 was heavier in the same condition)

Performance Numbers.
The performance numbers were attained at 8000'msl OAT16.8c. To get these numbers, I put the plane on alt. hold and used the headings of 360* 120* and 240* waited for the speeds to become stable, did two times on each heading, then divided by six. The speeds are as follows.

18.5"/2200 rpm 170 kts at 9gph lop
22"/2200 rpm 187kts at 10.5gph lop
22.7"/2500 rpm 198kts at 12.5gph lop

My typical power setting is 18.5"/2200 rpm's

A few more comments;
With Vans stock cowl made longer to accommodate the bigger engine, the only problem I have is getting the engine and oil to run hot enough, especially in the winter. The Barnes' Stormer is no longer a 6g. airplane. I fly it in Standard Category. I've never exceeded 3.5g's and never intend to. With the heavier weight it rides a lot smoother but the stall speed is higher. It can still use a 1000' strip with good pilot skills. It has very good pitch stability. I can ascend or descend for thousands of feet with the wing leveler and never have to touch the stick, only minor trim and power adjustments.

Thanks for the info Steve...

Did you make any modifications to the empenage? are they still .016 skins on elevator and rudder?

Barnes' Stormer

JonJay The skins are .020 on the control surfaces. b17fe I might consider $250,000 to $300,000 but most likely not. Someone would have to offer me a King's Ransom to make me want to separate with my baby.

Sorry Steve,
I thought it was for sale as it's in the classified section.
Thanks

The Barnes' Stormer

Bob Mills, This might help to clairify the differences between the Super Six and The Barnes' Stormer.

Back