VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Default diesel firewall forward???

DeltaHawk's latest addition to their website (noted for its sparcity of information and late updates) is a link to someone purportedly selling (or preparing to sell) a firewall forward kit for the DH engine on RV-7's. The site http://dieselfirewallforward.com/ does not have any content beyond a recommended fuel pump and bracket, and a promise to post more information as the build progresses, and the last update was 5-28-2007.

First question - why would DH post a link on their website for a guy who is supposedly assembling a FWF kit for their engine, but has not updated the site in more than 18 months, and

Second question - is there anyone here who knows who this builder might be? There is no way to contact the owner of the page, nor is his name given.
Engine hung, wiring the panel. 90% done, 90% to go.
Building an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:37 PM

I've contacted him a couple of times. Basically, he's waiitng on an engine from DH to be able to do something with. I'll dig up the emails later today
Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Diesel firewall Forward - Wilksch WAM-120

We've got a little further on that this guy....

Left Side (Turbo side)

Right Side (Supercharger & Oil cooler)

Cowl

Out on the Runway

We also have some video of the early taxi trials on youtube - search G-CETP.

Our parts bin is now empty and we're busy "finishing up". We hope to have all the paperwork complete to apply for our "permit to test fly" by the end of the Christmas period, so with any luck we should be flying in February.
=VAF= membership dues paid April 2014
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Default already flying?

I've heard that there is a WAM-powered RV-9 already flying somewhere in the States
Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Thats a very nice looking installation. I especially like those blue hoses-- are they one piece?

Having just reviewed the specs for the WAM-120, it looks like it will offer similar performance to an O-290. I look forward to hearing about your flight test results..

Good luck,
-DC
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM

Pretty cool.

Is there still support from Wilsch for the engines? What is the latest on that front and on future engine supply?

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 382.6 hrs. on the Hobbs, new ventral rad installed, new systems and mods, flight testing now
Twin Turbo Subaru EG33, Marcotte M-300, MT, RV10- Tail is on, stalled by life and work.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR View Post
I've heard that there is a WAM-powered RV-9 already flying somewhere in the States
Andy,

Kurt Goodfellow has built and flown his WAM powered RV-9 slider (Yep, another tail dragger -9!), it came in at 974 lbs empty.

He is currently sorting out some minor issues, which is to be expected with any new engine installation.

Kurt put his intercooler between the engine and firewall, just under the top cowl. He is using a large NACA duct to get air to it and a scoop under the inverted head to provide cooling air to the radiator. A unique installation and one that I hope works well.

My only question when I see this engine is the Turbo seems like it would fit better if it were turned around, fore and aft. Just a very minor nit on my part.
Putting the "mental" in "Experimental"
O-360 w/ dual P-mags. I don't need no stink'n JATO bottles.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Yes, Wilksch are still supporting the engine. The company is still active - mostly in development mode, but producing a few engines. They're currently working on a "bored out" version of the 3-cylinder engine which will produce around 140hp and a 100hp version for the light-sport market.

The blue hoses are one piece - the engine comes withe the "chin mounted" cooling pack installed and plumbed to it.

I'm not sure about flying 9's in the States, but there are four 9's flying in the UK with the Wilksch engine. There is also a Murphy, a Jodel a Pietenpol and a Thorp T211.
=VAF= membership dues paid April 2014
Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Boxall View Post
They're currently working on a "bored out" version of the 3-cylinder engine which will produce around 140hp.
Now THAT is interesting - that puts it much more in the correct horsepower ballpark for a 9/9A for most builders - especially considering it's high-altitude power retention. I might be willing to overlook slightly anemic climb rates in exchange for turbocharged MAP at cruise altitude.
Engine hung, wiring the panel. 90% done, 90% to go.
Building an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
First question - why would DH post a link on their website for a guy who is supposedly assembling a FWF kit for their engine, but has not updated the site in more than 18 months, and

Second question - is there anyone here who knows who this builder might be? There is no way to contact the owner of the page, nor is his name given.
His name is Ted Reed. I got his email off his site a while ago, maybe he's pulled it down for reasons listed below, but this is the last email I got from him in late September:

Quote:
Kelly,

I still don't have an engine so I have not make much progress since your last email. I have moved my company from Ohio to Texas and plan to build a new hangar in the next few months. Also, my wife has had major back surgery and has needed a lot of help just getting to and form the bathroom so I have not kept up with the emails and am just now getting around to answering all that I have received over the last couple of months. I did not go to Oshkosh but Deltahawk was there and had an engine and airplane on display. Progress is slow but still moving forward but I am still waiting for a delivery date for my engine. My airplane (RV-7A) is mostly completed with the exception of the firewall forward stuff and paint. I am still optismistic that an engine will be coming my way soon. Deltahawk is making good progress on the FAA certification process but they have not given me a firm delivery date yet. I wish I had more exciting news for you but this is where things are as of today.

Ted
If he has pulled his email from his site, I don't feel I should post it publically, but if someone is REALLY interested in information from him, send me a PM and I'll give you his email