What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for GOOD clear flap paint protection / anti scuff tape

JCN247DE

Well Known Member
I'm in the middle of my annual and have removed the Van's supplied UHMW tape from my flaps as it was basically completely broken down (cracked and yellowed) by UV exposure. I use the tape on the underside of the top wing skin and flap surfaces. It did a nice job of protection for the flaps and other areas i.e. gear leg fairing to wheel pant scuffing, tip up canopy contact areas but was getting very brittle and ugly.

I have been searching for a robust alternative to the 3" UHMW and did not want to use stainless tape (aka razor blades on a tape roll). I saw a friend's 7A at a fly-in last year and noticed his flap tape immediately as it was very clear, not scratched and just had a nice professional look to it.

His painter forwarded the source as:

PM Research out of Wellsville NY.
800-724-3798
http://www.papa-mike.com

Very helpful and friendly folks on the phone as well.

It's 3" leading edge tape that will not yellow or breakdown. It comes with an application kit as well. Part number PM3TS 3"X60' (will split the install with a hangar mates 7A). The application method with the tape adhesive uses distilled H2O+70% iso prop alcohol and clear dish soap. You squeegie it into place and work out the wrinkles or bubbles like vinyl graphics.

It is more expensive than Van's at $135 but so was my paint job. I always disliked walking up to my shiny "hurt your eyes" white plane and seeing the yellowed tape on the flaps. PM Research reports the tape as very long lasting ("as long as your paint job") and non yellowing.

Hope this helps someone in the same boat er.. plane...

anyone near silicon valley want to split a roll?

This sounds like a good way to go. Anyone near me want to split one?

If you click on the "see details" link for the recommended product (PM-T3S, 60 foot roll) it appears to indicate that you can buy less than a full roll.

I might be interested in this product, but am curious regarding the previously stated aversion to stainless steel tape. Are you saying that its too easy to get cut by it during the application of the tape?

Also, wouldnt installing a thin strip of felt on the under side of the upper wing skin do just a good a job of protecting the flap and be invisible?

just thinking out loud here...

erich

Last edited:
tape phobia...

Hi Erich,

I believe you can purchase the tape in shorter lengths as you suggest.

Stainless steel tape is extremely sharp to work with and I don't personally like the looks of it for my plane (IMO). Stainless eventually shows the "motion scratches" of flap actuation and that is what I am trying to stay away from. However, this cosmetic issue is truly a personal opinion as it is durable and less expensive. With that being said, I have seen other RV's that use it (Paul Rosales' being one) and the stainless tape looked cool with the paint scheme.

As far as felt secured under the top wing skin... I've never tried it. Should work in theory if you could get it to stay there. Many folks use it around the rear and side skirts of their slider canopies for abrasion and draft reduction. I may hesitiate to try it if I lived in a fine sand environment like florida or elsewhere considering the felt may hold on to the abrasive particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as felt secured under the top wing skin... I've never tried it. Should work in theory if you could get it to stay there. Many folks use it around the rear and side skirts of their slider canopies for abrasion and draft reduction. I may hesitiate to try it if I lived in a fine sand environment like florida or elsewhere considering the felt may hold on to the abrasive particles.

I would be leery of moisture too!! The felt will always be damp from humidity, and will soak up water during rain/washing.

taping the flap or the wing skin (gap seal)

I've seen broken down tape, where people have put the tape on the flap. I've never looked underneath the wing skin, which seems a natural place to put the tape. Is ugly, broke-down tape a problem in that location?

flap tape

Try Velcro tape. Use the "fuzzy" side on the underside of the wing skin if you have the room. It is an excellent anti chafe seal strip for the slider skirt as well. The adhesive is very good on the Genuine Velcro product.

HTH,
Chris

I went ahead and purchased the product recommended in the first post on this thread awhile back for flap protection and am very impressed - its nearly invisible and hasnt shown any sign of yellowing at all. Not cheap when you buy it by the foot - I think it was around $3/ft - but it doenst look like I will be replacing it for a long time, and my plane is outside, flaps down. Dont waste your time and money using Vans UHMW tape here - it will quickly look very sucky.

erich

Google a product called RockBlocker. It is a 3M product. It is thin, doesn't discolor, and lasts forever.

We have it in 2" and 4" widths. Never yellows, and can be removed without damaging your paint if needed. I use it all over the plane, on the front of the tailwheel, around fairings, where my canopy rubs, etc... Good stuff and reasonably priced.

3M paint protection film
- scroll down to see it.

Vince

Back