What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudi's close proximity rivet tool

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi RVators,

Well I needed to make a close proximity rivet tool, saw Jim Cone's, saw what Vans recommend, saw what EAA builders video showed.
rivet_tool_0.jpg

This is mine made out of scrap aluminum bar, then just file the face at +/- 30 degree angle and drill the little hole perpendicular to the angled face. Smooth all the edges. Drill another #30 hole somewhere in the middle just to be able to bend the rivet stem easily to +/-30 degrees.

It is more horisontally stable than the little triangular wedge so it should give you a better setting rivet, and they don't go flying off and lost when you pull the rivet. It takes about the same amount of time to make as a wedge, just better in almost every way....On to the pictures...they speak a 1000 words.

rivet_tool_1.jpg

rivet_tool_2.jpg

rivet_tool_3.jpg

rivet_tool_4.jpg

I am sure you can improve on it! But it works for me.
Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
This is one case where...

...the cheaper, economy tool may do better than the heavy duty one....:)

The economy tool has a fixed pulling area, and is closer to a vertical obstruction...

66404.jpg

...than the heavier duty version with the swivel head...

66225.jpg

It's worth having one of each style in your tool box....:)

...the cheaper, economy tool may do better than the heavy duty one....:)

The economy tool has a fixed pulling area, and is closer to a vertical obstruction...

66404.jpg

...than the heavier duty version with the swivel head...

66225.jpg

It's worth having one of each style in your tool box....:)

The one problem with the economy pullers is that the fixed (non moving) handle is planner to the point you pull the rivet. This means that there is no room for your fingers when pulling rivets that force to tool to be positioned with the handle adjacent to the surface. The handle can be lifted slightly without causing any problems but if you are riveting in a tight corner (a place where it seems this tool would be optimal) then the tool crashes on the vertical surface of the corner you are riveting in.

Yep....

The one problem with the economy pullers is that the fixed (non moving) handle is planner to the point you pull the rivet. This means that there is no room for your fingers when pulling rivets that force to tool to be positioned with the handle adjacent to the surface. The handle can be lifted slightly without causing any problems but if you are riveting in a tight corner (a place where it seems this tool would be optimal) then the tool crashes on the vertical surface of the corner you are riveting in.

...but a short straight spacer (about finger thickness) would fix that, and the rivets definitely pull easier when the rivet "pin" is not at an angle to the surface...

...besides, they are cheap, and add to your total tool count....:D

Gents,

Jip I actually got the tight space riveter as suggested by VAN's in the RV12 tool list, but it still requires you to pull it. With the little tool I can do them with my pneumatic rivet gun. Faster, Easier, Simpler! :D

See below picture from Avery for tight space riveter:
962.jpg

Cool Tool

Nice Rudi! It's the little things in life that make me smile...oh, and keeps me from throwing the rivet puller across the room.:eek:
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

Rudi,

This is great and timely for me. I'm just to the point of scratching my head about how to set some of these pulled rivets in tight spaces!

Thanks!

greg

Back