What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking of buying a completed RV-4 or 6

Hello everybody,

I"m new to this forum and thought I"d introduce myself. I think I'm having a midlife crisis [I'm 52] and feel the solution would be purchasing a completed RV.

I have never flown one but Ive been doing research and think my new A/C would ideally be a low time RV6 O3360, C/S with glass, IFR, inverted fuel/oil and excellent workmanship under 55k. I will settle for an RV4, O 320 fixed pitch,VFR, no gyros, not inverted. I won't settle for less than excellent workmanship.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

I"m new to this forum and thought I"d introduce myself. I think I'm having a midlife crisis [I'm 52] and feel the solution would be purchasing a completed RV.

I have never flown one but Ive been doing research and think my new A/C would ideally be a low time RV6 O3360, C/S with glass, IFR, inverted fuel/oil and excellent workmanship under 55k. I will settle for an RV4, O 320 fixed pitch,VFR, no gyros, not inverted. I won't settle for less than excellent workmanship.

Any input is appreciated.

With your specifications....

Add 35-40 K on the "Six", and you might find one. Although many "Sixes" are in the 50-75 K range, some top notch planes are still going $100,000+.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Buying an already built plane can usually be done for less than the cost of the parts to build. Considering tools, supplies, shop space, not to mention your labor, a finished plane is a no-brainer bargain, UNLESS you want to build.

Since buying already flying is your first thought, go for it. Engine, prop, newer build, glass, paint and interior drive the price. Most of those can be reworked. Look for the metal build quality. Take a builder with you. Preferably a repeat offender if possible. He will see a thousand things good or bad that would be oblivious to a non-builder. Get a well built airframe #1 and all the rest you can change out to your liking to make it your own.

I don't know if this is a serious post but as mentioned, your pricing is way low. And the exact requirements you specified for the 6 may mean only a few built...none of which may be for sale.

Last edited:
A RV-4 will work

Quote:
I will settle for an RV4, O 320 fixed pitch,VFR, no gyros, not inverted. I won't settle for less than excellent workmanship.

You can get a very nice RV-4 to meet these spec's in you price range.

I have had one -6 and one -4. The -6 was better for trips, baggage and large passengers.
The -4 is more fun.

I want one of those too (for less than 55K) even though I already have one. Just too low.

Hi Tom.....

.......There's bare bones 6A on Barnstormers, located in "Vegas, for $44.000.....a steal in my opinion.

I'll be there on Dec 7th-11th and plan on looking at it for another guy here in Georgia. I spoke with the owner and all he's looking for is to pay off the loan. Lemme know if you might be interested...or anyone else, for that matter. I may just fly it home,

Regards,

i,ve got a rv4 io360 hi comp. pistons about 225 hp christan oil, very fast.its a little higher price at 60,000 less than 100 hrs E&A.

Life begins at 50, Tom....

...or so they say. I hate to see my -6A go but two RV's is tight on the budget.

Congratulations,

Back