What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paul goes flying!!!

dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

This is such a great story I have to pass it along. The father and son team of Paul and Eric Petersen started their RV-6A WAY back in 1992. This summer their new RV finally made it's first flight with super test pilot Tom Irlbeck at the controls. As Paul told me it only took them 5685 days to finish the project! Paul is a peach of a guy and a consulting engineer by trade. He has forgotten a zillion times more than I'll ever know about things technical and he has always been a great resource to the members of the Minnesota RV Builder's Club.

Over the years Paul has been challenged by MS but it has hardly slowed him down. He always attends our meetings zipping around in his electric scooter sporting his trademark tam-o-shanter gracing us with his ever-present grin. Paul and his son Eric (who is working on his private license) never faltered in plugging away on their -6A.

After Tom finished flying off the test time, he called me one day and told me he had to figure out a way to get Paul in his airplane and so he could finally fly his handiwork. I figured Tom would find a way especially turning Paul and his son Eric respective engineering minds loose on the task. So a few days ago, Paul went flying with Tom with mechanical help from Eric. I think the photos speak for themselves!!

sept08rv003b1mw4.jpg

sept08rv004b1hs7.jpg

sept08rv005e1xi2.jpg

sept08rv009b1ix0.jpg

Last edited:
Great Story

Wow, what a great story. Those are memories that will stand the test of time.

Outstanding!!! Best thing I've read in a long time, Doug. Thanks for posting!!!

b,d

I have thought about doing that for less than full ambiltory folks, but never have. I would rent a high wing and take them for a cruise, but it's not an RV.

Well done! That really warmed my heart this am.

A little more of who Paul is:

I could write a long, long essay about Paul, who with the "sen" at the end of his name is no relation! I will just try to give the readers who don't know Paul just a little hint of who he is. I consider him a true friend, mentor and someone with whom I deeply share many philosophies.

Paul studied internal combustion engines, earning a master's degree in mechanical engineering in the early to mid '50's. I would hazard that he remembers more engineering theory today, 50 years later, than most 2 year graduates do.

Paul is a very prolific engineer, with dozens of patents issued to him. I may be wrong, but the number could be in the forties! I believe it took him nearly ten years to retire ? clients did not want to let him go! Many of project were interesting, but one that really caught my interest was his being lead mechanical engineer on the tuned mass dampers in the John Hancock building in Boston. Putting 300 tons in the middle of a skyscraper prone to moving and twisting in the wind is not for the faint of heart? Any time I am really wrestling with a design solution, I call Paul.

He stares his MS affliction right in the eye, not letting it affect him in ways other than the physical way. When he (or was it his wife Marilyn?) decided that the motion of his leg might not be able to actuate the brake quickly enough, he designed a supplemental hand operated brake for his car. I don?t think he?s had to use it.

The stories could go on and on (Paul! Write a book!): motorcycle antics, various other contraptions, etc.. BTW, one of his brothers is the Norm Petersen of EAA fame, another brother, Neil will show up as co-inventor in some of those afformentioned patents.

I will close this with a great way Paul describes why their project took so many years: First, he worked with his son Eric on it, which he claims doubled the time (two heads are slower than one!). Then, take into consideration that they both are engineers, as this doubled it once again!

Wonderful guy. Keep that airplane mounting harness warmed up!

Great story!

Glad to see that Paul got a ride. I have a similar situation. I'm building a 9a with my brother and my 80 year old father. He's been concerned since we started the project about how he will get in the plane. He struggles to get in and out of a Cessna. Legs just don't work like they used to. But, he's been with us everyday we work on the plane. Getting tools, squeezing rivets, etc.

Last Sunday, we fitted the wings for the first time. We got the rear spar drilled and put a bolt in. Jeff, my brother, stood on the wing for the first time. He and I went into the garage for one thing or another, and when I started heading back out to the driveway, there was my dad, standing on the wing, figuring out how he will get in the plane. Big smile on his face.

Amazing how it's the unexpected moments that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Back