What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy tint question

AX-O

Well Known Member
I have use the search function on the site and found good info however, still have questions.

I have to make a decision regarding my canopy tint. My mission has me flying day VFR at least 90% of the time. Just wondering how much of the outside world is disturbed at night when you have a tinted canopy. Another important reason I am thinking tinted canopy is because my wife just got diagnosed as high risk for skin cancer. The doctor told us to tint the windows on the car and home to block out UV A rays and to apply this other coating to block out UV B rays. We were told UV B is the most damaging out of the 2. Has anyone applied any products to their canopy to reduce UV A and B? Thanks for any help.

A few years ago I was looking to tint an Alon Aircoupe canopy and was told by an auto glass tint shop that they couldn't do plexiglass; the plastic had to "breath" and the tint film caused problems. But I'm going to see another auto tinter in a few days and will ask again. Perhaps there is a product for plexi. What material exactly are our canopies made from?

I have use the search function on the site and found good info however, still have questions.

I have to make a decision regarding my canopy tint. My mission has me flying day VFR at least 90% of the time. Just wondering how much of the outside world is disturbed at night when you have a tinted canopy. Another important reason I am thinking tinted canopy is because my wife just got diagnosed as high risk for skin cancer. The doctor told us to tint the windows on the car and home to block out UV A rays and to apply this other coating to block out UV B rays. We were told UV B is the most damaging out of the 2. Has anyone applied any products to their canopy to reduce UV A and B? Thanks for any help.

I have Todd's "dark" canopy, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Night flying (the little I've done) has been a non-issue.

The darker canopy makes a huge difference during the day, although you'll still need shades and a hat.

For your wife I'd suggest in-ear headsets like the QT Halo and a hat with a real brim.

Also, paint your wings (at least) before taking your wife for a ride. An unpainted RV can be like riding in a solar oven on some headings. Ask me how I know:-D

... Has anyone applied any products to their canopy to reduce UV A and B? Thanks for any help.

Axel:

If you haven't received your canopy yet, you can call Van's and ask for the phone number of their canopy provider. When I was building my -8 several years ago, Van wouldn't sell me a tinted canopy. Said it wasn't legal for night VFR. (Van may have a different policy now. You'll have to check.) However, they gave me the contact at their canopy maker.

I called and they gave me the part number of the tint that was the next darker. Turns out this is the same tint used by most other Experimental kit companies the canopy maker sells to and also on Piper singles. They claim it is perfectly legal for night VFR.

The short of it was, they shipped this canopy to Van for substitution in my finish kit (that way it all arrived at one time), or they can ship direct to you for the extra shipping charge. As I recall, there was no up charge in my case.

I don't fly a lot at night, but haven't noticed any problem with visibility other than remembering to take off my sunglasses :cool:

I certainly like the extra tint and would order it again.

Another source would Todd's canopies. I believe he sells tinted canopies for some of the RV series.

As for applying an aftermarket tint, I'm not sure if those work on plexiglass. I would worry about the impact on optical quality of such a treatment.

As for the UV blocking value, I don't know of anybody who has data on that. But like chicken soup for a cold, it can't hurt.

Chris

Canopy Tint

At Oshkosh this year, I talked to the canopy providers for Vans. They sent me 3 samples of tints: Lt. Smoke 2515 (the default on the RVs), Med. Smoke 2514 and Med. Bronze 2404 (in order of increasing tint shade). I've been spending a lot of time looking through them in various light conditions, especially cloudy days, dusk and night. I'm definitely going with a darker tint, but haven't decided between the Med Smoke and Med Bronze.

If you want to contact the plastics company, here is their information. They are great people and will provide helpful guidance.

Jeff and Becky
Airplane Plastics
[email protected]
(No Web Site)
9785 Julie Ct
Tipp City, OH 45371
Just North of Dayton about 13 miles
(937) 669-2677

At Oshkosh this year, I talked to the canopy providers for Vans. They sent me 3 samples of tints: Lt. Smoke 2515 (the default on the RVs), Med. Smoke 2514 and Med. Bronze 2404 (in order of increasing tint shade).

And Van's also offers totally clear canopy besides these options. The prices (if choosing non-normal color) will vary a bit but when canopy price is around $1000 then another ~$50 about clear canopy was not obstacle for me at least. Van's default canopies are all tinted to only allow 76% of light to penetrate. This is also maximum they recommend for night-VFR but they do have darked options (as mentioned by Macrafic).

One of the things that drove me to the clear one was taking pictures -- RV is hardly best plane for aerial shooting but why limit that anyhow with the canopy. Sun doesn't shine that much here and I don't like crepuscular (I feel like I don't see well) so I don't want any things which would limit flying near sunset. If sun becomes a problem it's easier to block/limit it with clear canopy than trying to see through too dark canopy is that becomes and issue.

I have to make a decision regarding my canopy tint. My mission has me flying day VFR at least 90% of the time. Just wondering how much of the outside world is disturbed at night when you have a tinted canopy.

I went with the darker tint, which turns out to be the "rocket" tint. I am glad I opted for the tint and it is absolutely no issue.

Besides.......it just looks "cool"...no pun intended;)

Just an fyi - when I ordered my new canopy at Airplane Plastics, Becky told me if I ever flew at night then do not order the tinted canopy.

I would have gone darker if I had known!

I never concidered a darker canopy, because I did not know we had a choice. If I had known, I would have gone darker, for sure. We are not alowed Night-VFR anyway. At the moment I am used to flying with a wing blocking the sun (C-152/C-172). I am sure the visibility of my EFIS, EMS and Moving-Map will be a lot less with sunglasses on and the sun poking in the cockpit.

So now I am considering to paint the top part of the canopy to give me some shade.

Regards, Tonny.

Last edited:
My brother installs industrial window tinting and some time back I had him check to see if I could put some on our canopies. He checked with his suppliers and the word came back a big no. Apparently the stuff can degrade the canopy and should only be applied to glass. :(

My brother installs industrial window tinting and some time back I had him check to see if I could put some on our canopies. He checked with his suppliers and the word came back a big no. Apparently the stuff can degrade the canopy and should only be applied to glass. :(

IMHO,( I maybe wrong!) I think we are checking in the wrong arena, I used to work at an Optical lab., and we tinted lenses all the time! canopies (Plexi) holds tint well, polycarbonate (lexan) is a little harder to tint, but do-able. I will check my sources to inquire about size.

IMHO,( I maybe wrong!) I think we are checking in the wrong arena, I used to work at an Optical lab., and we tinted lenses all the time! canopies (Plexi) holds tint well, polycarbonate (lexan) is a little harder to tint, but do-able. I will check my sources to inquire about size.
My experience is that on polycarbonate, a gray tint tends to fade and turn "redish" over time.

We want DIY multi shades of tinted canopy, yeah....!

Hey Tall Man,

I am interested in tinting the canopy also, I am considering just painting the top, but tinting the top (a good dark color!) would even be better, if it could be done so that you can still just see through it, which is better for safety in strange attitudes.

Oh,.... and what about fading it from dark on the top and back, to lightly tinted on the sides and front? That would be real cool, right?

Keep us informed about what is possible.

Regards, Tonny.

If you are ok with just having the top of your canopy darkened, consider purchasing a static-cling tinted plastic. You can cut it to whatever size you desire, then apply it with squeegy using a mixture of water and rubbing alchol with a few drops of liquid soap so that you can get it seated in the perfect spot without any bubbles. Best part is that all this is dirt cheap and you can pull it right off if you dont like it or want it anymore.

erich

Back