What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston Airparks

veropilot

Friends,

I have an interest in locating an airpark home in Houston. I have been told that Southern Houston is best for commuting into the city.

Any suggestions on a nice airpark community?

Thank you.

Friends,

I have an interest in locating an airpark home in Houston. I have been told that Southern Houston is best for commuting into the city.

Any suggestions on a nice airpark community?

Thank you.

Here's a site to help you determine traffic flow at rush hours.
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/
Depends on where you have to work as to the easiest way home.
I had to work downtown a long while back ... no longer :D
Stay away from the west & northwest as you'll see on the link.
I-10 west & hwy.290 can really make your blood pressure rise at rush hour.

Here's what I know

There aren't any airparks in Houston that are selling lots, unless you count Miegs, which doesn't seem to be going any where. But you might be able to find a house or lot that someone is selling if you wait long enough. I looked for a couple of years and never find anything I liked and could afford.

By the way, the South vs Northwest thing is a matter of liking where you live vs. short commute. Personally, I put up with the commute from Cypress (NorthWest on 290) because I like to live in the woods. North of I-10 is piney woods. South of I-10 is scrubby prairie. However, southeast around Friendswood and Clearlake is pretty (big live oaks and spanish moss) and close to the water. The other thing to consider is that when a hurricane comes, you have to think about evacuating if you live south of I-10, especially in the Clearlake area.

Knowing what I know now, if I was moving to Houston again I'd look Northeast around Kingwood and keep my plane at Williams airport in Porter. The commute to downtown from Kingwood is under 45 min. and it's in the woods and close to Lake Houston. That is, unless I got lucky and found something I could afford at Dry Creek, Polly Ranch, or Covey Trails.

Here's the list, best I know.

Miegs. Far northwest. A couple of miles south of FM 2920 on Muschke Rd. Supposedly under development but there hasn't been any progress on it in about a year. They were asking $90K/acre last I heard. At least 1.5 hours to downtown during rush hour.

Dry Creek. Nice, small upscale airpark Northwest in Cypress, a couple of miles north of 290 on Skinner Road. Turf runway that's like a golf green. Sold out about 4 years ago but occasionally something comes up for sale. About an hour to downtown, but there's a commuter bus terminal close by.

Hooks Airport. Northwest, near Tomball at Stubner Airline and FM 2920. This is a large, towered executive airport where there are many residential live-in hangars. There are no lots available that I know of, but occasionally someone sells their hangar/home. The airport is privately owned and rumored to be up for sale. LONG drive to downtown because no freeway goes close to it. Probably 2 hours.

<< update -- I was at Hooks this morning to help a buddy with his first flight (way to go Jim!). There's a hangar/home for sale facing the runway and next to the seaplane strip. 7844 Eagle Lane. 281-794-3570 >>

Skydive Airpark (or Skylake, depending on who you're talking to). Far Northwest, near Waller. South of Highway 290, on Mathis Road. There are usually several lots or homes available from owners. It has a lot of potential, but also a lot of political problems with both the golfers (it's also a golf community) and the runway owner (who owns the skydive operation), so the place has a kind of trailer park feel to it that turns a lot of people off. But it's pretty cheap. 1/2 acre lots usually run low $20's. It's a REAL long way to downtown. At least a 2 hour commute.

Sport Fliers. Nice little airpark on the prairie west of Katy, where my EAA chapter meets. A couple of miles North of Brookshire and I-10, on highway 362, at the crook in the road. I can't think of any separate homes. Most people live in their hangar. It's a turf field that I've always disliked because it's rough and tends to flood in the middle. There's usually a lot or two available for sale by owner. A long drive in rush hour, probably at least 1.5 hours.

Covey Trails. Beautiful, very upscale airpark with a wonderful turf runway. The lots sold out about four years ago and I've only heard of one place for sale since. Its south-east of Katy, in Fulshear, at the crossroads of FM 1463 and FM 1093. About an hour to downtown.

West Houston Airport. Nice uncontrolled executive airport in Katy, a couple of miles north of I-10 on Barker-Cypress. Hangar lots are for sale, but high as a cat's back (I think he's asking $150K for a 1/4 acre lot). You can build a live-in hangar but not a separate house. Read the contract carefully, though. There were so many restrictions and disclaimers when I looked at it that it seemed like just a fancy way to lease you a lot and also stick you with the property taxes. I love landing there, though. The runway's so soft it's like landing on a pillow. Some kind of special asphalt.

Polly Ranch . Older upscale airpark with paved runway in Friendswood, at 528 and 518. 45 minute commute. You could be neighbors with the famous Paul Dye!

Wolfe airpark. North of Manvel, near 288 and highway 6. Lots are sold out but there's usually something for sale by owner. Kind of run-down. Probably a 45 min. commute

Waverly Estates. Way up north in New Waverly, even north of Conroe, and east of I-45. Upscale airpark on a prairie. Turf runway, kind of rough. The commute is probably over 2 hours, but I believe they are still selling lots.

Lake Water Wheel. North-East of Cleveland in Shepard, about five miles east of US-59. Another very long commute, at least 2 hours. It's an older airpark and sold out, but there are always rumors that new lots are going to be opened up. It's a modest neighborhood. Most of the hangars are live-in, but there is an adjacent residential neighborhood where some hangar owners live. The 1/2 acre lots when they come available are real cheap. I know of one that sold two years ago for $5K.

Songbird . I've never been there but on the sectional it's southwest of Alvin. A couple of years ago they were selling 5 acre lots.

Last edited:
Pearland (Houston) Airpark parallels Texas Highway 35, about 2-3 miles West of Clover. It would take some imagination to get a home in there. No homes on the strip AFAIK, but plenty nearby. It's the kind of place that I'm sure you could buy some land adjacent and negotiate access to the strip. A fair location to commute from since they've recently built a bridge over the railroad tracks nearby that gets you to the highway pretty easily.

There's also (Pearland) Skyway Manor. It's adjacent to FM 518, about halfway between Hwy 35 and Silverlake. Several homes and some vacant lots. Short strip with powerlines on both end. May not be a very stable place to invest as the land may be bought out and developed sometime in the near future. Pretty decent location to commute from since you're fairly close to the beltway. Might be able to get a deal on a place there.

Last, and kind of like the Airpark, you could probably work an arrangement buying some land near the Northeast corner of (or elsewhere on) Clover Field in Pearland and negotiate access to the runway. Would be a fair commute to downtown, since there are some road projects working in the area that will make the drive better that will complete in the next 3-6 months.

Last edited:
Polly Ranch

We pulled in (by car) this morning after a week away, and boy, did it feel good to just walk the ten feet to the hangar and see that the airplanes are still sitting there, and ready to go! Even though Louise and I have been here only a couple of months, it sure feels like home already.

I never really seriously considered Polly, although I had lived in the general area for over 25 years, becasue I thought I'd never catch a home for sale, or be able to afford it if I did. We got lucky, but I bet if you call some of the local real estate agents, they can keep an eye out for you. I know of at least three "new residents" this year, so homes DO sell - but you have to be on top of it when they do. When I saw the "For Sale" sign on our place, I called the agent's number on the sign, and told him I wanted to make an offer, (sight unseen) and we captured it from several other folks that were "thinking about it" or working their numbers....

Paul

Just a suggestion here, first find a local you like. Or a couple -----

Then see if there is an EAA chapter there, or some kind of social contact group that you can use to get the word out you want a place. Community bulletin board etc.

Dont wait for a Realtor sign to show up in a yard, or MLS listing to pop up.

Do a little networking, word of mouth seems to be a big player in airpark real estate.

Thank you for the replies

Thanks to all that have replied.

Do we have any RV pilots who currently live at Covey Trails?

It appears to be the shortest commute to the Museum District / Rice University area.

Thank you and please continue to post your comments.

Thanks to all that have replied.

Do we have any RV pilots who currently live at Covey Trails?

It appears to be the shortest commute to the Museum District / Rice University area.

Thank you and please continue to post your comments.

I used to live about 8 miles south and we have some family friends that live there. I kept my -8 there during Hurricane Rita. There were some lots for sale about 2 years ago but they were pretty expensive... $195K for about an acre.

There are some homes for sale occasionally...

Karl

Any news on what lots are selling for the past few years at Polly, Dry Creek or Covey Trails. I know a friend of my wife's(wife's in the insurance business) sold her lot at Polly recently so things are moving, but like Mike S said it seems to all be kept in the family. If any one local to Houston has any info a little help would be hugely appreciated.

There are no runway "Lots" at Polly - they have all been built out for years - to the point that some have bought older houses, torn them down, and started over. the recent sale went to a two-RV owner, so we are increasing out numbers....but not sure the purchase price is public. Our neighbors have a 4,000 ft2 (approx) with hangar for sale right now - would have to check on their asking price. Prices do seem higher than the last couple of sales several years ago.

Paul

Any news on what lots are selling for the past few years at Dry Creek or Covey Trails.

I'm somewhat familiar with Dry Creek and Covey Trails; over the past year I've tried twice to buy at Dry Creek with no luck... it's mostly built out with maybe one/two lots empty, but it's basically made of unobtainium and priced accordingly. The one house/hangar currently listed at DC is large, but it's, um... funky. Built in 1984 and not updated since. Needs to be gutted and rebuilt, but the inflated price doesn't reflect it. It's been for sale for well over a year.

I haven't tried too hard at Covey Trails but I hear it's the same as DC, it helps to know someone there to get in on any rare spots that come up. Also, I've heard that there's just not much flying happening at Covey. The story goes that most residents have been there for quite awhile, are aging, not flying much anymore, but they're not leaving. I've even heard from one source that some residents on the field are complaining about airplane noise. Crazy!

As much as I wanted to stay in the NW Houston 'burbs, I gave up. Two months ago I bought a lot up in New Waverly at Waverly Acres; 2.4 acres on the runway for $54K. The runway is still a bit rough, but an irrigation system should be going in soon and hopefully with water, grass and grooming it will be smoothed out. It's a bit far out for a standard commute, but since I'm an airline puke and drive to work once a week it shouldn't be a big deal. I hope.

Thanks for the info guys. Airplane noise at the airport!! Wait til they hear my music noise in my hangar! HA! I guess resale is descent at airparks?

John, $54K for a runway lot is great. These folks aren't even listening to $150K for the lots for the three I'm looking at.

These folks aren't even listening to $150K for the lots for the three I'm looking at.

At which airpark would this be? They're turning up their noses at $150K? Ouch! At Dry Creek, I believe the last few lots sold there have been in the $125-150K range for 1+ acres. By the time you build a house/ hangar on top of that, yike$$! It's just too rich for me.

Back