VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Default Giving Your RV a Name

Hopefully, this isn't a repeated thread.

It is very apparent that a lot of RV's, if not the majority, have been given a name. I have been thinking that maybe my 9A needs a name. How did you come up with the name for your aircraft and what is it?
RV-9A N42AH
*Acquired Flying
O-360-A1D, Sensenich FP
Dynon EFIS-D100, EMS-D10
Trio EZ3 Pilot W/ Alt
Track N42AH/ N1FLY
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N42AH View Post
Hopefully, this isn't a repeated thread.

How did you come up with the name for your aircraft and what is it?
"MY SANITY"

I started building it during my first divorce and finished it during my second. Instead of chasing Wild women and drinking, I worked on my airplane. When asked what it cost to build, I say: "Two wives, one girlfriend, two houses, three rental properties, and a car." I might add that it is worth it. Flying 11 years next month. First flight September 1997. Had 2,152.6 hobbs hours when I put it away today.
Flying
2,900+ hours

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Default miss kimberly

after my wife. not original but without her support there would not be airplane parts in the master bedroom and a drdt-2 dimpler in the coner of the dinning room.
VAF#1639
Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Chunky Monkey-I think it's the heaviest RV ever.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC
Old 08-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Default RE:N74BZ

My Dad was a big influence in my love of everything "AIRPLANE" and fabrication......Many air showes, armed service days, air museums....................plus he was a great builder and fabricator with little or no schooling. It was my dream to give him a ride in my RV7A (still not done and is about to have the paint process begun), so he and I had to settle for the Cessna 150 heavy. On September 9, 2006 he passed away from prostate cancer. Healthy 93 old until three months of his passing, very patriotic having served for 6 years in the Army, (1932 to 1938), and raised a family of four children and his lifes partner (Mike.....real name Eda May) on a hard rock miners wage. Well I could go on and on but I know you have similar stories about your Dad or Mom.

His nick name was Buzz (given name ...Lawrence Edward Stringham).....so my plane is nicknamed BUZZ with the "N' number N74BZ. It will be painted in old school colors similar to the 1956 Ford Crown Vic's

Thanks for the thread and yes there is another that covers this topic......

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ighlight=plane

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A ... paint prep............

Last edited by fstringham7a : 08-17-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Naming the RV

My first idea was BAD CHICKEN. A coworker dubbed it that when he saw what I was actually building. "That's one bad chicken!" I went with it for a while. I have several logo ideas for that name. But alas I soon realized just what expenses I will have to endure to fly my own aircraft. So one day after playing with my paint job ideas, two tone copper and silver, and realizing how much my addiction to flying I have will run me, I went with Pretti Penni. My reserved number is N174PP. Last two also sand for Papa' Papa's plane. So how can I dismiss three prominent clue's as to what my plane should be named?
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp & Wings done - working on fuselage - finish kit received

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 08-17-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Language correction
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmanyflyer View Post
My first idea was BAD CHICKEN. A coworker dubbed it that when he saw what I was actually building. "That's one bad chicken!" I went with it for a while. I have several logo ideas for that name. But alas I soon realized just what expenses I will have to endure to fly my own aircraft. So one day after playing with my paint job ideas, two tone copper and silver, and realizing how much my addiction to flying I have will run me, I went with Pretti Penni. My reserved number is N174PP. Last two also sand for Papa' Papa's plane. So how can I dismiss three prominent clue's as to what my plane should be named?

As long as you say the call sign phonetically its OK. If you just use the letters, it could be misunderstood...
Warner Robins, GA
Phase I complete
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Some are earned

Some of the best names are earned. Sharpie- Dan Checkoway, Birdstrike, Debris, Glider, etc...

My good friend and fellow helo driver, Glenn Brasch, is building a 9A. He has "earned" the name of Hotline. Seems like every time I talked to him he would start the conversation with, "I called Van's today to ask them about....." So, I commented that he must have a "Hotline," to them. It has stuck but he hasn't accepted it yet.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Earned Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
Some of the best names are earned. Sharpie- Dan Checkoway, Birdstrike, Debris, Glider, etc...

My good friend and fellow helo driver, Glenn Brasch, is building a 9A. He has "earned" the name of Hotline. Seems like every time I talked to him he would start the conversation with, "I called Van's today to ask them about....." So, I commented that he must have a "Hotline," to them. It has stuck but he hasn't accepted it yet.
When flying UH-1's in RVN we had a guy who ended up with the name "Magnet ***". It seemed that on a regular basis he would always end up with at least one round in the aircraft he was flying. A lot of the crew chiefs didn't want him near their aircraft because they didn't want it shot up.
RV-9A N42AH
*Acquired Flying
O-360-A1D, Sensenich FP
Dynon EFIS-D100, EMS-D10
Trio EZ3 Pilot W/ Alt
Track N42AH/ N1FLY
Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM

I pondered this one for quit a while and than got it. I call my kitfox-kitty. Than I got to think what I can call my RV and my wife's initials before we got married was CAT. So I came up with kittycat. That's the name of both my airplanes. So the name for the kitfox is kitty and the RV will be cat.