What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

heavy wing

mknight

I'm New Here
Just flew My RV7A for the first time, yesterday everything went great but it has a heavy left wing, I'm a big guy 240# so I'm sure that has some to do with it, but I would like some imput for a fix. Thanks, Marc A VERY HAPPY MAN

Mark, I had the very same problem. Follow Vans instructions and it will come out alright. My problem was the left aileron was up about 1/8" at the outer hinge. I lowered it and put a gentle squeeze on about 18" of the right aileron and it flys wings level hands off. Don

Had a heavy right wing myself. Make sure the ball is centered, then you acn start making aileron adjustments. Follow the thread mentioned and you should be able to correct. Between lowering the outboard right aileron and a little squeezing of the left aileron, mine flies fine now. Just take it a little at a time.

Ditto, on what others said, mine was also left heavy...

Some additional notes:
1) Fly some more, with a PAX of same weight, fuel tanks same, until you are 100% sure it is heavy and by how much!
2) Make sure you aileron trim if you have a spring system is not interfering.
3) If everything is rigged right according to the plans and vans suggestions, and you resort to squeezing, then it takes very little aileron squeezing to get it right. I took my wide hand seamer pliers, cut 2 peices 4" of yardstick to put inside the mouth to protect the paint and then started outboard, only do 2 aileron 'rib sections' at a time +/- 10". Then fly and evaluate. It takes very little! I only had do to it 2/3 of the Right aileron with a very little squeeze, hardly visible but big difference in flight!
hs30_lg.jpg

Good Luck,
Regards
Rudi

49clipper

Mark, I had the very same problem. Follow Vans instructions and it will come out alright. My problem was the left aileron was up about 1/8" at the outer hinge. I lowered it and put a gentle squeeze on about 18" of the right aileron and it flys wings level hands off. Don

When you say the left aileron was 1/8" off at the outer hinge, do you mean you actually moved the hinge or simply adjusted the push tube to lower the aileron? You lowered the hinge? If so, how?

You can elongate the holes in the aileron hinge to raise or lower it. When you get it trimmed the way you want it get a new undrilled hinge from Vans and drill the holes where they need to be. Don

Back