What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Panel Labeling

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
It's my turn to give back since I've learned so much from others.

On the cheap, no machine, professional looking.....here's how:

After reading several threads about labeling, I bought the Decalprofx (see website Pulsarprofx) and it worked quite well. Learned several things from it. Here is what my panel looked like when I finished.

labelspi8.jpg

Here is how to do it and will save you some big $$$ if you don't want to make your own dry rub transfers.

Buy the Dry Rub Transfers from Aircraft Spruce. Comes in large and small, white or black. Cost $7.50.

kk2000setpr4.gif

Order a spray can of Sulky KK 2000 temp spray adhesive. Got news for you, this stuff isn't exactly temporary. About 12 bucks. Buy the stuff. Dry transfers work and will stay put.

drypanelmarkek3.jpg

Same technique as the expensive kit.

Be sure to clean the area you are applying with alcohol before doing anything.

#1 - cut out transfer
#2 - quick spray of adhesive on side of transfer that is going to the panel...do not saturate the transfer...I mean a quick spray from about 6 inches away and 1 fast sweep - no more
#3 - let dry for about 1 minute
#4 - line up and place where you want it (you get 1 shot at this)
#5 - rub the back with something like a popsicle stick
#6 - SLOWLY peel off in 1 steady motion
#7 - use a little alcohol on a paper towel and GENTLY remove any excess glue
#8 - in a few hours, it is almost permanent...if you don't like, remove it now with alcohol...otherwise, you will have to rub like heck to get off.

Whole thing will run you about 20 bucks for switch and breaker labels and will look like it was silk screened. Will also save you a pot full of time by not making your own transfers.

A couple of questions,
Concerning the Decalpro ....did you purchase the laminating machine? Is it necessary?
Did you clear coat over the decals? Spruce? Decalpro?
Thanks
Dave62....Swift driver

didn't like the decal pro

I bought the whole decal pro system. Tried it many times then gave up and used brother labels. Decal pro has way too many steps, steep learning curve and results that are not always good. I guess I will give it to my wife for scrapbooking!

I too tried this system. Spent many hours trying to get results and exchanged many emails with the proprietor, all to no avail. I think it must be very dependent on what paint you're applying to -- I actually got some good decals on my plastic stick grip that are still holding up to this day. But the panel was just a no-go (painted with flat black rustoleum pro)

He did honor the money-back guarantee though, so I can't complain too much. Try it if you're curious.

You need a laminator

A couple of questions,
Concerning the Decalpro ....did you purchase the laminating machine? Is it necessary?
Did you clear coat over the decals? Spruce? Decalpro?
Thanks
Dave62....Swift driver

Yes on the lamintor and you have to have a good laminator. Small lines are a pain but can be done.

Did not clear coat but the labeling is tough once on there for a few hours and normally, you don't touch the area. If they rub off in time, I'll relabel. If you clear coat, they'll never come off short of scraping with a blade.

You can order the spray on line and the dry rub from Spruce. Nice part of the Spruce decals is the transfer is already made. The adhesive spray just makes sure it sticks. The transfers from Spruce are well done and work well, esp if you use the spray. If you don't use the spray, don't waste your money.

Look at this way....You blow 20 bucks on a tool you use once. If you don't like, scrub off with a rag and alcohol. I just like the look of a silkcreened panel.

Give Stein a call . . .

Paul Story created decals for me using my "word" artwork - simple process and cheap. After you receive the decals, simple cut them out, soak in water, apply (slide onto panel), align, let dry. After all are applied - a clear seal coat is required - I will post pictures of my panel soon. Looks very professional . . .

I bought the whole decal pro system. Tried it many times then gave up and used brother labels. Decal pro has way too many steps, steep learning curve and results that are not always good. I guess I will give it to my wife for scrapbooking!
I too bought this system and the learning curve was around eight hours +/-.

Once mastered, it really does work well. I had to master it since I had a textured panel and stickers would not work but this system did work, and work well.

It is just a pain to learn.

Back