What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy shape (RV-8)

panhandler1956

Well Known Member
While at Oshkosh I noticed some aircraft had distinctly different canopies. There was the 'std' shape that I am accustomed to seeing and there were a couple of -8s with a more 'peaked' canopy that actually looked slightly taller than the windshield and trailed back at angle from the highest point vs a flatter profile on what I am perceiving to be 'stock'. Can anyone explain this? Are these aftermarket? Is is a fuction of how it is installed? - I wouldnt think so.

I want to make sure mine has the more stock profile.

I'll see if I can add a picture if no one knows what I'm talking about.

Brent:

I'm pretty sure you're looking at a Todd's Canopy. They seem to have a different curve to them. I first noticed this on Don Christiansen's -8.

Chris

If you had to do over

If you were starting another RV8, would you opt for Todd's or Van's canopy?

After this question was raised above, I tried to visually compare the two shapes, it appears the Todd canopy is a little lower as it slopes backwards. Correct?

Can either shape claim better performance? I live near Todd's and I'm leaning toward his tinted design and no shipping. Still evaluating weight and thickness option.

I love this sight, thanks in advance to all that have blazed this RV trail!:D

Whilst on the subject , I saw a pic of a really low and sleek 8 canopy.
Looked like a lowered sleekened version. Anyone know what that is and who sells it ??

Just a thought here, if the plane has a fast back setup, it will make the canopy look lower, even though it is the stock canopy.

Take a look at this Show Planes setup.

DSC00864_550.jpg

EJ, you might also have been looking at Lyle Hefel's RV-8, which has a sleeker, more sloped forward windscreen than a stock airplane. I'm not exactly sure how he achieves that, but he's done it on several of his RV-8s. Anybody else know more details about Lyle's windscreens?

EJ, you might also have been looking at Lyle Hefel's RV-8, which has a sleeker, more sloped forward windscreen than a stock airplane. I'm not exactly sure how he achieves that, but he's done it on several of his RV-8s. Anybody else know more details about Lyle's windscreens?

I remember it was a metalic blue and silver paint scheme on the 8 I saw. Dont know if that helps identify. The canopy was much lower than stock.

Sloped windscreen

I talked to Lyle about this a few years ago, and it's a separate flat-wrap windscreen, not part of a main canopy bubble. At his recommendation, I bought one from the shop that is the OEM canopy supplier for Van's. The name escapes me at this moment, but I have it and the phone number at home (no web site). Maybe someone else knows that off-hand. Mine was ~ $150. In addition to a sleeker look, you get a thicker, sturdier windscreen, since it's just wrapped over the form, and not stretched out by the forming process.

Sloped windscreen

Airplane Plastics 937.669.2677 Becky or Jeff

Sorry, I don't have any photos available, as mine is not installed yet. There should be plenty of photos of Lyle's planes floating around the internet.
I've got plenty of excess headroom in an 8, so I'm still considering chopping the roll bar to lower the canopy an inch or so, as some others have done. Sure looks sleek, but at the rate I'm progressing (or not progressing), extra work is not really something I need. I'm going to use the sloped windscreen in any case.

Back