What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVMAP EKP IV weather upgrade

638RS

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if AVMAP released the weather upgrade for the EKP IV at OSH? Or did they just do another "demo" as they did last year?

Last edited:
No

Not only did they not have it, they were not even showing it. In the words of their rep, "we don't have it, everyone is mad at us, this show is a disaster for us". When ask when? He replied, "we don't know. We get an update from the developers ever day or so. When it all works, it will be released".
I still like the AVMAP. At least I can see it...

NO !

This company has lost ALL credibility. They said the Italians would be there on Wed. Then it was Thursday. Then they missed their connection. (BTW, thats what they said last year also).

I like the hardware, but the company is a disaster. I WILL NOT, CAN NOT recommend them any longer.

I purchased a Garmin 396 at the show. It has WX, It has a very good display, It has company support, Its actually real, not vapor.

This company has lost ALL credibility. They said the Italians would be there on Wed. Then it was Thursday. Then they missed their connection. (BTW, thats what they said last year also).

I like the hardware, but the company is a disaster. I WILL NOT, CAN NOT recommend them any longer.

I purchased a Garmin 396 at the show. It has WX, It has a very good display, It has company support, Its actually real, not vapor.

I absolutely LOVE Garmin and have recently added a Bendix-King AV8OR as a secondary unit to my trusty 496. I was considering adding an AvMap EKP-IV prior to that though. I was told that weather was imminent but if they haven't launched it yet then their goal of OSH was obviously missed.

AvMap is supposed to be adding XRX traffic to the EKP but their priority was weather. I understood that after weather, traffic was a pretty simple addition but all of their resources were dedicated to preparing weather for OSH.

Anthony

I saw it running at S&F and talked with them about it. One of the problems they have is that the EKP IV is single port. They couldn't combine the GPS antenna feed with the weather data input. There may be a way to overcome these limitations, but they were not very optimistic. They more or less said they are working on a new unit that would have multiple ports. I have mine installed side by side with a Dynon FD-180 and love the display. It would be nice to see a faster update, but the units are a bit aged in technology terms.

Back