- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Check for broken power switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchard23430 View Post
My AV8OR is 28 months old and out of warranty. I flew a week ago, everything was fine. This past Saturday, the unit will not turn on under battery or charger power. Talked to B/K and they didn't know if there was a repair or not. Has anyone been able to get this unit repaired?

Dale Fowler
I think you will find that the power switch failed when you attempted to turn the unit off. The result would be a total battery discharge. The first time this happened to me, the unit came alive again after being hooked to an external power supply for some time (30 minutes?)

The push-and-hold power switch for these units was POORLY DESIGNED (and I'm being charitable). FWIW, I have failed two. One with less than 50 hrs. in service, one with less than 100 hrs. in service. The warranty repair consists of replacing the unit. I wonder if the total replacement cost for all the units that broke exceeds the pennies saved on each unit x # of units sold. Perhaps B-K should have charged $1 more for each unit and put a decent switch in.

Larry Tompkins

PS I am a mechanical engineer. I could design a good switch for B-K if they asked me. There is a legitimate purpose for cost accounting, however, putting cost-accountants in CEO positions has the long-term affect of destroying a company. In 1970 GM had 50% market share, after Roger Smith and his bean-counter successors they are now happy with 20% and needed a government bail-out. Moderators feel free to delete this portion if you feel it is too politically incorrect, but if we don't leave the "make it worse manufacturing philosophy" and return to the continuous product improvement philosphy our children better learn to speak Chinese.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabo View Post
Double check that sliding lock switch on the right hand side if you have not already, it is very sensitive on my unit
Scrabo's probably barking up the right tree. If that doesn't work or has been checked already, try another battery. Even with it plugged in to wall power, I had a laptop that wouldn't work right because the battery was shot. Just a thought...

If you don't have another battery to try, PM/email me. Might be able to send a spare to you.

Either way, fingers crossed your AV8OR powers up with a simple fix!
RV10 - partnership in UT
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Default AV8OR Repair

Great suggestion. It was locked. It was in an AirGizmo panel mount the entire time so how in the world did the locking switch slide? Thanks for the help!

Dale
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Glad it is working.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Default 1600mAh battery

Anyone know what an equivalent part number is for the 1600mAh battery?
e.g. Nokia equivalent that fits?
I realise that a different back cover is also needed.

Duncan.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 AM

Default 1600mAh battery

To answer my own question, in case anyone else is interested, the equivalent Nokia p/n for the 1600mAh battery is BL-10C, which is twice the thickness of the standard-fit BL-5C.
Can't get them in the UK though!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM

The bendix/king extended battery is made by KAYO - model KPL623048-2P
capacity 1600mAh volt 3.7 - it is Polymer Li-Ion - you might have better luck buying it in the UK.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Received this email today...

"The AV8OR 2.5 software and firmware is now available for download for the AV8OR ACE only . Release 2.5 includes a number of exciting new features including High Resolution Approach Plates, a Graphical Weight and Balance Utility, Smart Airway Flight Planning and XM Radio Tuning. The AV8OR 2.5 upgrade for the AV8OR Handheld will be released soon. "
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Default AV8or ace software update 2.5 WARNING

Updated to version 2.5 on my av8or ace. Now the go fly application crashes every time I load a chart (approach, airport etc).

Not cool - this update has rendered the unit nearly worthless. Emailed them 3 business days ago - no response yet.

Beware....

N144sh
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n144sh View Post
Updated to version 2.5 on my av8or ace. Now the go fly application crashes every time I load a chart (approach, airport etc).
N144sh
Did you try this ....

From the press release...

"AV8OR 2.5 introduces new, High Resolution Approach Plates, SIDs/STARs and Airport Diagrams. This new capability dramatically improves the clarity of chart viewing, raising the bar on the competition. This new feature also includes a one-time Free IFR Charting update from Seattle Avionics (required with AV8OR 2.5 software).
"

Here is the full press release for those who didn't receive it.

Available now! The AV8OR 2.5 software and firmware is now available for download for the AV8OR ACE. Release 2.5 includes a number of exciting new features including High Resolution Approach Plates, a Graphical Weight and Balance Utility, Smart Airway Flight Planning and XM Radio Tuning. The AV8OR 2.5 upgrade for the AV8OR Handheld will be released soon.

High Resolution Approach Plates
AV8OR 2.5 introduces new, High Resolution Approach Plates, SIDs/STARs and Airport Diagrams. This new capability dramatically improves the clarity of chart viewing, raising the bar on the competition. This new feature also includes a one-time Free IFR Charting update from Seattle Avionics (required with AV8OR 2.5 software).

Graphical Weight and Balance Utility
AV8OR 2.5 includes an easy-to-use, Graphical Weight and Balance utility. Using aircraft-specific data, the pilot can quickly calculate both take-off and zero-fuel moments, and see the data in table format, a C.G. Envelope Graph and an aircraft layout page.

Smart Airway Flight Planning
AV8OR 2.5 now makes it possible to flight-plan and fly airways in the same way that clearances are requested or issued by approach control. Simply enter the Entry Point, Airway Name and Exit Point in a single line. For example: "BOSOX V419 PIYIN". AV8OR 2.5 does all the detail planning for the pilot, including all intermediate points and turns on the airway.

XM Radio Tuning
AV8OR 2.5 now includes an XM Radio Tuner (WxWorx XM receiver and subscription required). The new XM Radio Tuner allows pilots to listen to their favorite XM Radio stations while navigating with the AV8OR. Selecting from XM Radio channel categories and managing a custom "Favorites" list is simple to use with the AV8OR's touch screen interface.

Last edited by Scrabo : 02-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.