- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 AM

Smile Tip: Quickly Remove Protective Film

For many of us building Standard Kits there are a lot of large parts of sheet aluminum that need the blue protective film removed before installing on the current stage of construction. And for many of us those parts may have been on the shelf waiting for our attention for months or even years. As time passes the blue film seems to adhere even harder and becomes more difficult to remove quickly. I was recently working on my RV7 wings and began removing the plastic from the main wing skins, tank skins and leading edges. After spending too much time just to get to the bare aluminum using the fingertip curling the plastic method I told myself there has to be a better way. I cut time removing the film from one side of a wing skin from 45 minutes down to 10 minutes for BOTH sides. I have tried to show my method in pictures. Go to http://www.assistaviation.com/builder_tips.htm to see a full description. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Great idea!

Good job, Bill. I like it. And BTW, thanks so much for calling it a "Standard Kit". "Slow Build Kits" went away when pre-punching came about.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 AM

Great tip! Wish I'd known about that earlier. In the winter, I'd warm up the sheets with the kerosene heater before peeling the plastic off.
Which N-Number Are You Looking For?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Builder assist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billheard View Post
For many of us building Standard Kits there are a lot of large parts of sheet aluminum that need the blue protective film removed before installing on the current stage of construction. And for many of us those parts may have been on the shelf waiting for our attention for months or even years. As time passes the blue film seems to adhere even harder and becomes more difficult to remove quickly. I was recently working on my RV7 wings and began removing the plastic from the main wing skins, tank skins and leading edges. After spending too much time just to get to the bare aluminum using the fingertip curling the plastic method I told myself there has to be a better way. I cut time removing the film from one side of a wing skin from 45 minutes down to 10 minutes for BOTH sides. I have tried to show my method in pictures. Go to http://www.assistaviation.com/builder_tips.htm to see a full description. Let me know what you think.
Bill,
I took a look at your web site and the service you provide building kits to order. Is this approved by the FAA?
Thanks,
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

This is a slick method and has been posted a few times before, but it is good to post it again for new folks who haven't seen it. Too bad you didn't see the earlier posts so you wouldn't have had to reinvent it.

Doug, shouldn't this be somewhere in the Articles section of the VAF site?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Wink FAA Approval

Don,

Any plane I build will be built under my name as if it was my plane to avoid scrutiny from the FAA. It will be registered under my name then "Sold" to the new owner and reregistered under his/her name. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
Bill Heard
www.assistaviation.com
7 empennage complete - wings almost complete
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Wink Thanks!

Richard,

I wish I had seen this tip before. Thanks for making me realize I don't read the posts on here enough and could have saved even more time!

Bill
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Standard Build vs. Slow Build

Mel,

There are a lot of us out here that think our Standard Build kit is a Slow Build kit especailly when comparing it to the latest Quick Build kits. I am rebuilding a damaged 6 that was built twenty years ago when pre-punched was the moment just before the boxing glove hit the fighter's jaw! I envy those of you who built the truly Slow Build kits. I am having enough trouble laying out the holes on the skins I am replacing on the 6.

Bill
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Default No it doesn't answer my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by billheard View Post
Don,

Any plane I build will be built under my name as if it was my plane to avoid scrutiny from the FAA. It will be registered under my name then "Sold" to the new owner and reregistered under his/her name. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
Bill Heard
www.assistaviation.com
7 empennage complete - wings almost complete
Bill,
The intent of the Experimental category is for "recreation and education". This is clearly a commercial operation for a kit plane "built to order" and is exactly what the FAA is trying to curtail. I'm afraid someone could end up with a very expensive lawn ornament (i.e. an airplane that can't be certified in the E-AB class). I guess "avoiding scrutiny" and complying with the intent of the rules is two different things.

For more info see this link..
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=31855
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying

Last edited by flytoboat : 07-09-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Guess I should check out these ideas for removing the protective film ... it's only been 12 years that the film has been on some of my parts ...