What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Oil Temp

With summer temps I am having high oil temps. In cruise at about 65% power I get 215 to 225. Temps are verified. Have to maintain shallow climb profile. I have the Aero Classic cooler. Anyone using the cooler from Airflow or elswhere that has helped? Appreciate any feedback.
Doug Preston
N372RV
In hot Alabama

Hot Oil

I am having the same problem. I have one more baffle issue to resolve, but I am seeing up to 220 in climb and about 210 in cruse. I am looking for ideas also.

Tomorrow night I am going to duck tape the baffle opening I do have and see if that helps.........

You might want to take a look at the size of your oil cooler. I bought what Van called the hot climate, or something like that, cooler for my RV-8. It was something of a pain to install because it was so big, but does it ever work. Last Saturday it was in the mid to upper 90's and my oil temperature was running 165 degrees on my EI gage.

Where did you mount your cooler? That could also have something to do with it. Mind is mounted to the rear baffle. I also made a spacer out of square tubing to go between the cooler and the baffle. One other thing, on this kind of installation make a support bracket from the engine case half bolts to the back baffle; otherwise, you will have a cracked baffle in no time flat! Tom RV-8 N558TX

Sounds like you need to get more air moving though the coweling. I added a temporary 30 degree "flap" at the outlet of the coweling to cause a greater low pressure area under the belly. I call it my "Summer Cooling Flap". I made it out of scrap aluminum and used the existing holes in the coweling and added two more. A little red duct tape (to match the plane) and I'm good to go.

It dropped the oil temps 10-15 degrees.

Oooh now that is interesting...Hmm wonder if I could make it cable actuated and call it a "Hot climb cowl flap?"

Frank

Back