What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Sigh of Relief

jetjok

Well Known Member
Many of you have read my recent posts detailing the problems that I had been chasing with power surge when the engine was hot. I took note of the advice to modify my MA-4-5 10-3878 carburetor by installing service kit A666-660.
So, off came the carburetor for disassembly, and a good soak in the cleaning tank. Locating the kit was the most difficult part of the job! Anyway, kit installed, job accomplished, and what a difference!
CHT's about 20F cooler, and much smoother operation, even when the engine is heat soaked after a 15 min ground stop.
What was the root cause of my power problem? I cannot really say, as I did not find a "smoking gun" on teardown. I guess all I can say is that my experience after kit installation mirrors that of the others.
If anyone is having difficulties, and would like to see a copy of the original Marvel Schebler SB, shoot a PM to me as I now have it scanned. When i get back to CA, I will scan the kit installation instructions and parts list in case anyone could use it.
I am only a yearling RV owner, and I would have pulled out the few remaining hairs trying to chase this problem down. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge available in in this group, and thank all that took the time to reply.

Back