What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W Interconnect to GPS 496

luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
I was hoping someone has some experience connecting a Garmin 430W with a GPS 496. I have been told there is a way to connect the 430W to the GPS 496 in a way that you load your flight plan into the 430W and the GPS 496 will automatically show the same route without having to also enter a duplicate entry into the GPS 496.

My panel for my RV-7A consists of an AF-3400 EFIS, Garmin 430W, Garmin GPS 496, Trutrak DigiFlight II VSGV A/P, Vertical Power VP-200, Garmin SL-30, Garmin GTX-330 Transponder, and PS Engineering PMA900EX audio panel.

If anyone has some information on how to do this or if it is possible, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bryon,
I have a setup like yours and am very interested in a solution.

Jim,
I did a quick read of the full thread but could not find any thing about the 430 to 496. :( May be to early in the morning.
Sure would be nice to load the flight plan at home on the 496 and then pop it into the panel, push a couple buttons and go fly.
Gary

I did a quick read of the full thread but could not find any thing about the 430 to 496. :( May be to early in the morning.
Sure would be nice to load the flight plan at home on the 496 and then pop it into the panel, push a couple buttons and go fly.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Connect an RS-232 OUT pin on the 430W to the 496's serial IN pin.
2. Change the corresponding RS-232 OUT format on the 430W to "Aviation".
3. Change the serial port format on the 496 to "Aviation In".

Note that this only works one way - i.e. you can't enter a flight plan on the 496 and have it appear on the 430W (no way could that ever get certified!).

mcb

I did a quick read of the full thread but could not find any thing about the 430 to 496.
Gary
Gary, the diagram on post #12 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15795&page=2&pp=10)actually shows a 195 instead of a 496 but both use the same yellow wire for data input. I used pin 56 (S1 output - aviation) on the 430 connected to the yellow data in wire on the 496. I also have a GTX 330 and as I recall I did not use the RS-232 output from the 430 since the GTX330 is communicating with the 430 via RS-232.

As an aside, for those with GTX 330 and GNS 430 it seems it is not possible to be set up both for the automatic flight plan transfer and to display traffic on the 496.

The "flight plan" transfer is a real time saver, especially to update a "direct to" next waypoint after an enroute deviation. Just hit the "Direct" button and then the execute button on the 430 and you'll immediately show direct from present position to the waypoint on both the 430 and the 496.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, for those with GTX 330 and GNS 430 it seems it is not possible to be set up both for the automatic flight plan transfer and to display traffic on the 496.

That's correct - but, you can still display traffic on the 430.

mcb

Traffic on 430W

That's correct - but, you can still display traffic on the 430.

mcb

Matt, Right now I have the traffic from the 330 being displayed on the 496 and 430W. It sounds like if I connect the 430W to the 496 for crossfilling the flightplan, I cannot show the traffic on the 496 however I can still display it on the 430W. Is this correct?

Right now I have the traffic from the 330 being displayed on the 496 and 430W. It sounds like if I connect the 430W to the 496 for crossfilling the flightplan, I cannot show the traffic on the 496 however I can still display it on the 430W. Is this correct?

That's correct.

mcb

The AFS EFIS moving map can also display the traffic from the GTX330 using the RS-232 format.

Rob Hickman

Do I have to use GPS RS 232 OUT 1 on Pin 56?

Gary, the diagram on post #12 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15795&page=2&pp=10)actually shows a 195 instead of a 496 but both use the same yellow wire for data input. I used pin 56 (S1 output - aviation) on the 430 connected to the yellow data in wire on the 496. I also have a GTX 330 and as I recall I did not use the RS-232 output from the 430 since the GTX330 is communicating with the 430 via RS-232.

The "flight plan" transfer is a real time saver, especially to update a "direct to" next waypoint after an enroute deviation. Just hit the "Direct" button and then the execute button on the 430 and you'll immediately show direct from present position to the waypoint on both the 430 and the 496.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if I have to use pin 56 on the 430W to connect to the 496 data in? In looking at the wiring diagram of the 430W it seems to have multiple GPS RS 232 Outputs. Pin 56 is labeled as GPS RS 232 OUT 1, however pin 58 is labeled GPS RS 232 OUT 2, pin 41 is labeled RS 232 OUT 3, and pin 54 is labeled RS 232 OUT 4. I am wondering if all four GPS 232 outputs can be configured individually for format output within the unit set up, or possibly GPS 232 OUT 1 may be the only port able to configured for "aviation"?

Thanks,

Not an expert - but if you check the configuration settings to see if you can set those outputs to the same type data stream you are looking for then it will probably work.

At worst case with a serial line it simply won't work - no damage will occur, just "bad data received."

Where would I find configuartion

Not an expert - but if you check the configuration settings to see if you can set those outputs to the same type data stream you are looking for then it will probably work.

At worst case with a serial line it simply won't work - no damage will occur, just "bad data received."

Unfortunately I was not given any manuals with my 430W and I am trying to find out information on how to format the data streams. I am not to the point where I can power the unit up yet and want to make sure I can configure correctly before all the wiring is terminated on the back on the unit. I tried going through the manuals on Garmin's web site, however did not see any info on configuring the GPS RS 232 output ports. Can anyone help me find where I might find this?

Unfortunately I was not given any manuals with my 430W and I am trying to find out information on how to format the data streams. I am not to the point where I can power the unit up yet and want to make sure I can configure correctly before all the wiring is terminated on the back on the unit. I tried going through the manuals on Garmin's web site, however did not see any info on configuring the GPS RS 232 output ports. Can anyone help me find where I might find this?
Here's a link to download the GNS-430w manual. I'm pretty sure the info is in there somewhere. http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GNS430W_PilotsGuideandReference_190-00356-00_.pdf

Garmin no longer makes public the installation manuals for their certified hardware. However, if you look hard enough you can find it on the net.

Garmin no longer makes public the installation manuals for their certified hardware. However, if you look hard enough you can find it on the net.

Awesome - any chance you know the link for the GNS 480? I tried a few variations (guessing) to no avail, and naturally the directory listing is denied...

ugh tell me about it....

anyway, the 430W will only let you output each type of stream on one pin. In other words, you can't set OUT 1 and OUT 2 to Aviation at the same time.

FORTUNATELY, you CAN have more than one device listening to a serial stream at once. For example, you could have two 496s in your panel, with OUT1 on the 430 attached to serial in of both 496s. You CANT, however, have OUT1 go to one 496 and OUT2 go to the other 496, and have it crossfill to both that way, because the 430 will only let you select Aviation on one output at a time.

Multiple Unit Connections On GPS 232 Output

ugh tell me about it....

anyway, the 430W will only let you output each type of stream on one pin. In other words, you can't set OUT 1 and OUT 2 to Aviation at the same time.

FORTUNATELY, you CAN have more than one device listening to a serial stream at once. For example, you could have two 496s in your panel, with OUT1 on the 430 attached to serial in of both 496s. You CANT, however, have OUT1 go to one 496 and OUT2 go to the other 496, and have it crossfill to both that way, because the 430 will only let you select Aviation on one output at a time.

Looks like I have (4) devices I need to feed the GPS 232 GPS info to. I have a Vertical Power VP-200, an AFS AF-3400, and a Trutrak Digiflight II VSGV that all need the 232 connections as well as I want the 430W to crossfill the flight plan to the 496, so I don't have to enter it in both units. I may even need my GTX-330 transponder to connect to this port, but I am not sure yet since it may get the information it needs to start and stop the flight timer from the ARC 429 connections. Looking at some wiring diagrams I have seen, I know the GTX-327 would need the GPS 232 info, but the 330 may get it from an ARC 429 connection? Garmin says that you can connect up to (3) devices to the GPS 232 Aviation output, but I have talked to a few people that say they have 4 or 5 devices connected to their 430W and it works fine. I guess I will just have to connect them and hope they all work.

I also have about the same equipment. VP-200, TruTrak, ADI and 496. The harness was done for me when I bought the equipment. They put 4 separate RS-232 outputs to pin 56 on the 430. All will be configured to "Aviation" which is what all the devices take. If one needed a different format you would use the output of one of the other pins and configure that one differently. I haven't tested it out yet but it was done by the pros so I assume it is going to work.

430 496 connect.

My flight plan goes from the 430 to the 496. The thing I hate about it is that now you can't use the 496 to get info on other airports unless I am missing something. So flying CC with the 430 I may want to use the 496 to find an airport with self serve fuel. Am I missing something here?

Here's what you need to do:

1. Connect an RS-232 OUT pin on the 430W to the 496's serial IN pin.
2. Change the corresponding RS-232 OUT format on the 430W to "Aviation".
3. Change the serial port format on the 496 to "Aviation In".

Note that this only works one way - i.e. you can't enter a flight plan on the 496 and have it appear on the 430W (no way could that ever get certified!).

mcb

My flight plan goes from the 430 to the 496. The thing I hate about it is that now you can't use the 496 to get info on other airports unless I am missing something. So flying CC with the 430 I may want to use the 496 to find an airport with self serve fuel. Am I missing something here?

Well, you can still use the 496 to look up and get information about any airport, navaid, waypoint, etc.... but if you want to navigate to it, you have to dial in the identifier on the 430. Unfortunately there is not a way for the noncertified handheld GPS to send navigation info back to the certified panel mount GPS.

mcb

Nope...pretty much every one ends up snipping that wire (or we don't hook it up to begin with), because it does become a pain in the rear. I went through that on the install for my own plane.....

Cheers,
Stein

Nope...pretty much every one ends up snipping that wire (or we don't hook it up to begin with), because it does become a pain in the rear. I went through that on the install for my own plane.....

Cheers,
Stein

Kind of a drastic step for the much benefit that this option allows, huh? There is a major benefit in having the active flight plan in the portable. I just added a switch on the transmit line but the only time I've used it was one time when I wanted to restart the 430 in flight but still have the active plan in the portable. When the 430 first starts up, the default route is to Garmin in Kansas and otherwise this would be sent to the portable.

Possible Disconnect Switch?

Cheers,
Stein

I was wondering if I installed an in-line switch to disconnect the GPSMAP 496 RS-232 OUT (yellow wire) to the GNS430W serial input, could I just activate this switch and then be able to use the 496 to directly "Go To" an airport or would you also have to go into the set-up of the 496 and also deactivate the "Aviation In" serial port set-up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I rewire my panel and find out this is still not a quick fix.

I was wondering if I installed an in-line switch to disconnect the GPSMAP 496 RS-232 OUT (yellow wire) to the GNS430W serial input, could I just activate this switch and then be able to use the 496 to directly "Go To" an airport or would you also have to go into the set-up of the 496 and also deactivate the "Aviation In" serial port set-up?

Almost. The 430w will not "listen" to a 496. Just add a simple switch that will disconnect the GNS-430W output RS-232 to the 496. -When you want to use the 496 independent of the 430, just turn the switch "off."
-When you want to have the 496 follow the flight plan of the 430, turn the switch "on."
-No re-configuration of the 430 or 496 would be required when the switch is flipped.

When you want to use the 496 independent of the 430, just turn the switch "off."

A question for anyone who has done this:

What exactly does the 496 do when you disconnect it from the IFR GPS that is feeding it a flight plan. Does the 496 still keep the flight plan active, so you have to cancel or delete it manually? Or does it automatically deactivate it? If so how long does it take to do that?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out in advance if I'll be happy with the way the 2 units are going to interact, the 496 manual doesn't give much in the way of details about this...

--Paul

What happens if you don't have the switch?

I have a similar question to Paul's above: Say you don't have the switch to isolate the 496 from the 430, and you enter a flightplan into the 430. It gets crossfilled to the 496 and off you go.

Now what happens if you use the 496 cursor, select some other aiport, and hit direct to? Does it stop "listening" to the flight plan coming from the 430 and fly the direct-to, or does it not allow the direct-to?

Thanks for any info,

Hi Dave --

I have flight plan cross feed working to our 496 now, so let me answer my own question (and yours too). Though I am feeding from a GX60 it should be basically the same from a GNS 430.

If you have Aviation In selected on the 496, it will take its flight plan from Port 1 serial in. If you then select Direct some other fix on the 496, it will show that other fix for just as long as it takes for it to receive the next flight plan frame on Port 1 (about one second with our GX60). The same if you go into the 496 and Deactivate the current flight plan... that only has effect for about one second, until the 496 sees the flight plan again in the next series of "aviation format" sentences coming in.

One way to get the 496 to stop listening to the flight plan on port1 is to go into Setup->Interface and select some input format other than Aviation In. That is doable but it's a bunch of button pushing. IMHO an external switch is the way to go (which is what we have now... works great).

--Paul

Back