What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin has an update out for the GNS-430 software

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
FYSA:

According to the tech I spoke with at Garmin it shipped last week to dealers. The version number is 3.1 and it should be readily available this week.

He didn't have all the particulars, but he said that it included something called a synthetic heading (whatever that is).

I also asked him how terrain and obstacle databases are made available for the panel mount GPSs but after a lot of searching he said he honestly didn't know.

terrain and obstacle data is on the right-hand data card. So far, there's only ever been one version of it.

Terrain database update coming too

There is also a free update to the terrain database for the various Garmin GPSs coming out ASAP. They discovered that the forward looking terrain alerts would not work if the aircraft was over a body of water at sea level (i.e. the ocean). Terrain database 08T2 for the WAAS panel mount GPSs will have a fix for this problem. The 296, 396, 495 and 496 will have the problem fixed via system software update.

More details in Garmin Service Advisory 0817.

The Garmin system software update for the
296, 396, 495 and 496 is available now from
their website. The over water at sea level
look ahead problem is listed on the fix list.

I just noticed it today,
Tom

Talked to Garmin regarding the 530W terrain and obstacle updates a couple of days ago. This was their response:The new terrain is available free until Dec. and the obstacle is $35.00. I had sticker shock though when told the Garmin card reader is 150 bucks and NOT interchangeable with the Jeppesen card reader needed for their software. Jeppesen is 50 bucks for their card reader if you only need the one for the later model Garmin panel mounts. It's just hard for me to believe that the card readers are so expensive and are not a shared item since the memory cards look the same. Oh Well, I guess we could have stuck with the 496! Larry

I found out the same thing

Perhaps those of us on this site that have the 430/530 could collectively buy a Garmin card reader and ship it around.

My guess is there are north of 100 people on this site with one of those two units. Unlike the Jepp that you need every month this is a reader that you need every year or so.

If my guessimate is correct, we each would be out $2 + shipping.

Just a thought.

Perhaps those of us on this site that have the 430/530 could collectively buy a Garmin card reader and ship it around.

My guess is there are north of 100 people on this site with one of those two units. Unlike the Jepp that you need every month this is a reader that you need every year or so.

If my guessimate is correct, we each would be out $2 + shipping.

Just a thought.

Bruce, I'm in!! I was hoping someone would bring this idea up. Where do we go from here?

VAF Community has a Garmin Reader

We just shelled out the $200 today.

If DR will agree, I propose the following rules of use:

1) I will make a list of the first 10 posters that would like to use it.
2) When your task is completed, please forward to the next person. (I'll get you the shipping info.)
3) An envelope will be included. If you feel it is worth a small donation, please add it to the envelope and include in the package when you forward.
4) I'll start another round once the list has been exhausted.

Tanya

These, along with some more detailed instructions, will be included with the package to make this as smooth as possible.

We just shelled out the $200 today.

If DR will agree, I propose the following rules of use:

1) I will make a list of the first 10 posters that would like to use it.
2) When your task is completed, please forward to the next person. (I'll get you the shipping info.)
3) An envelope will be included. If you feel it is worth a small donation, please add it to the envelope and include in the package when you forward.
4) I'll start another round once the list has been exhausted.

Tanya

Sounds great - I'm so in. Happy to help defer cost too...

Tanya, I'm in. Please send me an email so I can give you shipping info. lschneider39 at cox.net. Thanks, Larry

I'm in. Let me know if costs need help.

Vic Syracuse
97 Teal ct.
Locust Grove, GA 30248
404-307-5133

Ok - I'm a dummy :eek:

I signed up on Tanya's list because I wanted to update my software to the 3.1 garmin release (I had no interest in updating the terrain DB - I never purchased it for my 430).

Does anyone know if there is a way I can use this box to update my software to 3.1 or should I just forward the box to the next person on the list?

Ok - I'm a dummy :eek:

I signed up on Tanya's list because I wanted to update my software to the 3.1 garmin release (I had no interest in updating the terrain DB - I never purchased it for my 430).

Does anyone know if there is a way I can use this box to update my software to 3.1 or should I just forward the box to the next person on the list?

Kevin, I'm not real sure if there is or isn't a way. I had my 430w upgraded with new software a few weeks ago, and the dealer put a chip he had in one of the ports and installed the update from there. Then my original chip(s) were put back in. They did it for free (but, I had the w upgrade last fall done by them).

Doesn't Look Promising

Kevin,

Your best bet is probably to call Garmin as I couldn't find anything on their site that was helpful. Found their WebUpdater service, which is a free application that lets you update your unit software from home. However, it says it isn't available for discontinued items, and the 430 (without WAAS) is now listed as discontinued on their site.

The USB Aviation Data Card Programmer looks to only be for Obstacle and Terrain databases updates.

For anyone else on list with a 430 (not 430W), it looks like the free terrain update is not the 400/500 series. That one is still listed at $150.

So how do I get on the list?

Thx.

Hugh.

I think Tanya's plan is to post an announcement when our stuff has made the rounds of the current list and gets back to us. If she is up to it, she'll solicit to form another list and send it out again.

Back