What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page, AZ and Grand Canyon

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Decided to head over to Page again to try to hike the Wave but failed in two days to get in.

Going west the winds were around 35 kts headwind component at 16,500' plus I slowed in case of turbulence so my ground speed was usually below 110 kts. I did not have radar coverage for flight following the entire trip which is one reason why I have a PLB. An APRS unit is likely next. Rick Grenwis has a post in the APRS section showing the good coverage going west a few weeks ago.

The first full day there I went to upper Antelope Canyon again. This is a slot canyon and is amazing.

Upper22Apr08_0158Small.jpg

This is the bear looking at the moon (or weeping eye)

Upper22Apr08_0294Small.jpg

Upper22Apr08_0168Small.jpg

Upper22Apr08_0153Small.jpg

Last edited:
Part two: Grand Canyon

The next day I flew down to the Grand Canyon via the Zuni corridor. Winds were 20 kts gusting to 27 basically down the runway which meant a really short landing roll.

Called a taxi to go to the rim for $10, $6 park entry fee and soon I was eating a sandwich overlooking the Grand Canyon. Several shots follow. It was not great as far as lighting plus it was hazy.

The first in flying through the Zuni corridor:

GrandCanyon316Small.jpg

The next two are on the ground at the south rim:

GrandCanyon330Small.jpg

GrandCanyon342Small.jpg

The last is on the way back to Page:

GrandCanyon349Small.jpg

The trip home was at 17,500'. Now the ground speeds were in the 190-203 kt range. Mucho better. The trip home took about 1.2 hours less than the trip west.

Last edited:
Nice shots

Ron,

Thanks for the great shots. Really enjoyed your pictures. One day I hope to make it out there.

Back