What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Constant to Fixed Pitch Conversion

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Recently received by O-320 D1A. Plan to convert to FP for now. Has anyone removed the plug at the oil tube and added the plug for the crank? How difficult is this? What parts must I purchase?

All help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Peter K
9A QB

Not difficult at all

You will need one STD-1211, 2" expansion plug for the front. The rear plug (61510) must be either removed or punctured.

Simple....take an awl, sharpened punch or sharp screwdriver - puncture the plug in the back, and band in the front plug (they are only a few $$'s)...takes 5 minutes. It's the other way around that is a pain!

Cheers,
Stein

Another option is to leave the back plug in; install the front plug, and route the Prop Governor Line
back to the sump. This prevents pressure build up in that area. On those engines without a convenient place
to attach the drain-back line(such as turbo charger drain-back), Mattituck (??) makes a special cover plate for the Governor hole with an integral fitting to accept the drain-back hose.
Has been working fine on my O360-A1D this way for 95hrs.
Easy to convert back to CS, too.

Lycoming Service instruction...

Peter - check your regular e-mail for a copy of Lycoming

SI 1435 -- "Converting to CS Prop from FP & Vice Versa and Prop Govenor Oil Lines, Elbow & Fitting"

gil A

crankshaft photo

Lycoming cranckshaft (internal, prop side)

Hope this helps.

crankshaft.jpg

The Lycoming SI...

...is now on their web site.

When this thread started in March, it wasn't published - so a thanks to Gary Sobek for the link above...

I'm glad to see that Lycoming is expanding the amount of detailed information on it's web site...:)

Last edited:
Back