What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Flow

zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm continuing to work through some cooling issues that I have. One of the tests I'd like to get more information on is what oil FLOW rate I should expect through the oil cooler from a standard parallel valve 360 oil pump.

Anybody got either book values or empirical experience. The local gut feeling is the sump contents (ie 6+ qts) is cycled multiple times in a minute.

Thanks,

Carl

It does cycle pretty fast but little of that goes through the cooler until the vernatherm opens as the oil heats up.

Is your problem too hot or too cold?

Engine?

Compression?

Oil squirts?

Oil cooler brand and model (if positec new or old style)?

Oil cooler mount location? (photo)

Inverted oil system installed?

OAT when testing?

Airspeed when testing?

RPM and MP when testing?

EGTs, CHTs, and Oil temp?

The question is oil flow....

Hi Mike,

Yes - I understand your questions.... my question is I need to know the standard Lycoming oil flow.....

I've spent the last 4+ weeks on this with help from multiple people around the world. I understand the oil flow / vernatherm functions and have completed among other things oil temp probe checks, vernatherm checks, oil cooler changes, various flight testing for over 15 hours, OAT / density alt changes, speed testing, pressure sensing across oil coolers, oil bypass plungers, test cell time to confirm readings, oil analysis, cowl modifications etc.... this isn't really the place to go into it in greater detail.

I will document and let people know in fullness of time the concise information, but for the moment I'm trying to focus on one step at a time - my next step is oil flow - I can measure it, but I want to know what I should be expecting.

[ For your information:
Very (red line) hot
Engine - IOF 360 (180)
Compression - 8.5
Oil squirts - Yes / ECi cylinder and cams
Oil cooler brand and model - NDM 2002A and SW 8604R (both brand new)
Oil cooler mount location - Standard VANs #4 clyinder baffle
Inverted oil system installed - No
OAT when testing - from 0C to 27C OAT, Density Alt from 2500' - 9000'
Airspeed when testing - 50kts to 200 kts
RPM and MP when testing - 28", 2650rpm - 20", 2000 rpm
EGTs, CHTs, and Oil temp
CHT - From 350F - 450F depending on test, within 30F all the way, coming back as break in happening.
EGT - Tracking together well
Oil T - up to 118C, 230F
Oil P - Always good, 45psi at idle with 220F oil T

We also have a custom plenum top and round inlets - but to date doesn't seem to be the root of the problem (for example we have 6-7 inches of H2O pressure across the oil cooler during cruise and CHT dropping back below 400F) ]

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Mike,

Yes - I understand your questions.... my question is I need to know the standard Lycoming oil flow.....

I've spent the last 4+ weeks on this with help from multiple people around the world. I understand the oil flow / vernatherm functions and have completed among other things oil temp probe checks, vernatherm checks, oil cooler changes, various flight testing for over 15 hours, OAT / density alt changes, speed testing, pressure sensing across oil coolers, oil bypass plungers, test cell time to confirm readings, oil analysis, cowl modifications etc.... this isn't really the place to go into it in greater detail.

I will document and let people know in fullness of time the concise information, but for the moment I'm trying to focus on one step at a time - my next step is oil flow - I can measure it, but I want to know what I should be expecting.

[ For your information:
Very (red line) hot
Engine - IOF 360 (180)
Compression - 8.5
Oil squirts - Yes / ECi cylinder and cams
Oil cooler brand and model - NDM 2002A and SW 8604R (both brand new)
Oil cooler mount location - Standard VANs #4 clyinder baffle
Inverted oil system installed - No
OAT when testing - from 0C to 27C OAT, Density Alt from 2500' - 9000'
Airspeed when testing - 50kts to 200 kts
RPM and MP when testing - 28", 2650rpm - 20", 2000 rpm
EGTs, CHTs, and Oil temp
CHT - From 350F - 450F depending on test, within 30F all the way, coming back as break in happening.
EGT - Tracking together well
Oil T - up to 118C, 230F
Oil P - Always good, 45psi at idle with 220F oil T

We also have a custom plenum top and round inlets - but to date doesn't seem to be the root of the problem (for example we have 6-7 inches of H2O pressure across the oil cooler during cruise and CHT dropping back below 400F) ]

Cheers,

Carl

If I cherry pick, at 27 deg C, 28", 2650rpm, breaking in a new motor, in a climb, I would not at all be surprised to see 230F. I wouldn't like it either but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think it would be abnormal. Lots of energy being absorbed. (sounds like you have tried a second temp sender and gauge). I also crank my pressure up (or add washers) to get 100 psi min when cold at full RPM. Runs 85 psi hot.

The oil squirts add thermal load and ECI Jugs add thermal load. I assume you are breaking in with mineral and per ECI you will probably remain with non syn, however semi syn would probably bring it down another 10. Not all 360's spit out the breather above 6qts. The AEIO has extra holes drilled inside to speed oil to the breather port. You would think that would make it spit more. I have an AEIO with the inverted stuff removed. (conventional breather) I can run 8 without spitting. More oil in the pan allows the thermal load to be absorbed by a proportionally larger mass. I'm sure you know the engine will run ok on 2 qts. Watch the temp go up if 2 qts has to do all the work. 6 will have to absorb and transfer more heat/quart then 8. Might want to run 8 during break in if it doesn't spit it.

If you are unable to find a flow rate to test, perhaps another pump health indication you could use is idle psi vs full power psi when the oil is hot compared to other similar engines. Or use you flowmeter on another airplane. I think you are going to have a tough time finding the flow rate in print since the flow through the cooler lines is independent of pump output. I'd let you test mine but I don't think you want to travel that far:D

If your hot psi is less than 85 I would crank it up. But like I said at first 230 does not surprise me unless it does not come down below 200 at reduced power cruise/descent.

Last edited:
More details.....

Mike,

If I cherry pick, at 27 deg C, 28", 2650rpm, breaking in a new motor, in a climb, I would not at all be surprised to see 230F. I wouldn't like it either but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think it would be abnormal. Lots of energy being absorbed. (sounds like you have tried a second temp sender and gauge). I also crank my pressure up (or add washers) to get 100 psi min when cold at full RPM. Runs 85 psi hot.

Yes - I know I'm being a little hopefully doing initial break in, 25C OAT @ 4000' den alt WOT with a lean running engine. :D Pressure wise, we are right about the 90-95 psi on take off, 65-85 once things settle down a bit.

The oil squirts add thermal load and ECI Jugs add thermal load. I assume you are breaking in with mineral and per ECI you will probably remain with non syn, however semi syn would probably bring it down another 10.

Yes, AeroShell straight 100 - hopefully AD / multi will help but is likely to only be 10F ish at best - and we seem ~30+ F hot at the moment.

Not all 360's spit out the breather above 6qts. The AEIO has extra holes drilled inside to speed oil to the breather port. You would think that would make it spit more. I have an AEIO with the inverted stuff removed. (conventional breather) I can run 8 without spitting. More oil in the pan allows the thermal load to be absorbed by a proportionally larger mass. I'm sure you know the engine will run ok on 2 qts. Watch the temp go up if 2 qts has to do all the work. 6 will have to absorb and transfer more heat/quart then 8. Might want to run 8 during break in if it doesn't spit it.

Interesting - haven't been worrying too much, seems to have stabilised around the 6 - 6.5 Qts and not too much on the belly. I didn't know there was an AEIO internal mod. I don't know what the standard ECI case has.

If you are unable to find a flow rate to test, perhaps another pump health indication you could use is idle psi vs full power psi when the oil is hot compared to other similar engines. Or use you flowmeter on another airplane. I think you are going to have a tough time finding the flow rate in print since the flow through the cooler lines is independent of pump output. I'd let you test mine but I don't think you want to travel that far:D

A bit of a trek yes.... One of the challenges of building in the 'middle of nowhere'. I'm hoping someone like Bart or Rhoda might have the figure / experience from their high performance stuff. (or GMC / Mel / old hands etc from history). It would be good to link with PSI, air pressure difference, temp and the SW charts - that should give us some idea.

Different line of thought - I wonder if there is a formula for how much heat (BTU) should the engine be producing based on X fuel flow and Y hp output......

If your hot psi is less than 85 I would crank it up. But like I said at first 230 does not surprise me unless it does not come down below 200 at reduced power cruise/descent.

I can understand that we need 'enough', but faster / high pressure may or may not provide enough time for the heat transfer. Does additional PSI directly reduce the oil temp in your experience?

So far it basically all seems to depends on OAT.

Yesterday I had 58F @ 2600' pres alt, 24 / 2400, straight and level and it wouldn't stabilise and was climbing through 110C, PSI was still 69. and ASI was in the 150+ kts which gives us 6+ " of water across the cooler. CHTs were 382, 390, 373, 362F and fairly stable (these will be tweaked closer later, they are almost changing / dropping by the hour at the moment - #3 is coolest, #1 & #2 have dams to help keep the balance). Temps limited the flight to about 25 mins, only way to get temps down was throttle right back (< 13"). I couldn't get to WOT.

In comparision:

Wednesday, I had 58F @ 2000' pres alt, (ie. slightly cooler) 28" (WOT) / 2650 straight and level and it was stable and 'happy' with 100C and 72 PSI. CHT 378 393 364 374. Granted ASI was higher at ~160 kts, but during the whole 1.5 hours flying, I had low speed, climbs, 22/22, 23/23, 24/24, 25/25 etc and I don't think Oil temps got above 110C at all.

My current feeling is it is on a knife edge for cooling - I don't want to be limited to only flying during the winter :rolleyes: ..... We are obviously trying to prove / confirm where the issue is, we can make the inlets bigger, make the outlet bigger, make the oil cooler bigger - all are significant changes and compared with other locals that are having to 90% block the coolers to get INTO the green something doesn't sit right - I don't want to mask a bigger / longer term problem..... SO the first focus is understanding and working out if we are getting too much heat, or not getting rid of enough (or both).

On the positive, the engine is pulling really well, is really smooth, the plane seems to be handling everything and flying is more fun than building..... ;)

Thanks for the thoughts,

Carl

high break-in temps--

You might need to run richer(for extra cooling)during break-in, instead of running lean. You need some extra heat so to get rings and cyls to seat properly, but extra fuel can help a lot to manage higher than desired temps until initial run-in is complete.

oil flow.....

You might need to run richer(for extra cooling)during break-in, instead of running lean.

Hi Vance,

Mixture control is not an optoin for us - FADEC based (which is performing very well BTW). We have been running high BMP and CHT's are becoming more reasonable, but as I said before we are 30 + F hotter oil temp than the other locals and they are blocking off coolers to get into the green.

I'm looking for data at this point for the debugging process.

So currrent questions:
Oil flow at full power?
Does additional PSI directly reduce the oil temp?
ECI crank case - AEIO oil path?
Created BTU from a engine running at X fuel flow, Y HP?
Any measured pressure drops / temperature changes across upper / lower cowl, front/aft oil cooler?

Carl

I think the FADEC adds heat maybe 10

New engine 10

Break in oil 10

Squirts 10

There is 40 deg right there.

I'm having a similar problem with my 7 but it isn't warm enough around here to determine if my oil temp will run too high at higher ambient temps. At 6000ft and 30f air temp I'm running 195 oil temp. At 40f it's 200 and at 50f it's 205. It is very steady but has gone up as high as 215 in climb but settled back down to 200 on a 40f day. My cylinder head temps stay about 380 all the time. I too have a hard plenum and James cowl inlets and a Stewart Warner oil cooler. Don

Carl, to your original question: If someone knows the spec's on the gears used in the oil pump, we can calculate the pump output vs rpm. I would need to know detailed info on the gears, plus their relative rpm to the engine.

But, pump output is only one thing. On a cold engine, most of the output probably gets dumped through the relief valve (that which sets the nominal pressure). Then, as the engine warms up, more oil is directed to the oil cooler, and less gets dumped through the relief valve. Also, as the engine warms up, more oil goes through the various galleys and sprayers since the viscosity is lower.

Do you have the gear and wheel fairings on? If not, those last 10 or 15 knots make a big difference in cooling.

Gear part numbers

Carl, to your original question: If someone knows the spec's on the gears used in the oil pump, we can calculate the pump output vs rpm. I would need to know detailed info on the gears, plus their relative rpm to the engine.

Hi Alex - that would be great. The information I have that applies to this is:

It is an ECI Titian Parrallel valve 360 engine, part numbers that might make some sense to you:
AEL 16471 (Gear assmbly)
AEL 18109-S (Gear kit)
Crank shaft idler gear assemblies - AEL 74996 and AEL 75072.

But, pump output is only one thing. On a cold engine, most of the output probably gets dumped through the relief valve (that which sets the nominal pressure). Then, as the engine warms up, more oil is directed to the oil cooler, and less gets dumped through the relief valve. Also, as the engine warms up, more oil goes through the various galleys and sprayers since the viscosity is lower.

Yes I understand, we currently have an oil plunger plug in for testing - this makes sure all oil goes through the cooler all of the time - still too hot.

Do you have the gear and wheel fairings on? If not, those last 10 or 15 knots make a big difference in cooling.

All fairings are on - helped with the speed, not sure made much difference to the cooling.

Cheers,

Carl

PS: Had an interesting day today looking at inlet and outlet temperature of air and oil on the cooler - all looks sensible (higher than expected) - but leads back to the question of how much oil is flowing through the cooler.....

Temps across the cooler?

[QUOTE

PS: Had an interesting day today looking at inlet and outlet temperature of air and oil on the cooler - all looks sensible (higher than expected) - but leads back to the question of how much oil is flowing through the cooler.....[/QUOTE]

Carl - what were the numbers you saw? Steve.

Carl, thanks for the P/N's. Unfortunately, I need more basic info, like what the pitch diameter of the gears are (I'm not completely sure that they are normal spur gears - probably are) and how many teeth. Also need the ratio of rotation of these gears to the crank. Maybe I could stop by the local engine shop and see if they have a set I could look at.

Photos.....

Carl, thanks for the P/N's. Unfortunately, I need more basic info, like what the pitch diameter of the gears are (I'm not completely sure that they are normal spur gears - probably are) and how many teeth. Also need the ratio of rotation of these gears to the crank. Maybe I could stop by the local engine shop and see if they have a set I could look at.

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure that I want to quote stuff from the lycoming parts manual as it has every 360 known to mankind - but I'm not sure which one is ours!

What I do have is photos of the assessary case being put together from my trip to Mattituck.
Processed_Img_4568.jpg

Processed_Img_4575.jpg

Processed_Img_4554.jpg

Processed_Img_4571.jpg

The impellor block has two numbers on it - AEL61174 and SL78528.

Is that enough?

Thanks for your help,

Carl

Last edited:
Well, it looks like we can figure out the oil pump's rpm, so that's a good first step. Here is a picture of the guts of the pump, unfortunately without any scale:

We need to calculate the area (and depth, to get volume) shown in red and add up how many teeth go by per minute (times two for both sides). If we knew the OD of the pump impellers, we could print the picture out large and overlay, on the red area, some grid that is scaled, and count up the number of boxes on the grid. Still need depth though...

I've been curious about the pump's flow also, as you might have noticed.:)

Oil pump rpm....

Well, it looks like we can figure out the oil pump's rpm, so that's a good first step.

What am I missing - isn't the drive that connects to the oil pump unit the ket slot on the aft end of the main crankshaft? That will be RPM rate surely it doesn't get any external gearing?

I've been curious about the pump's flow also, as you might have noticed.:)

I like other people being curious - means I might be able to ride on the coat tails ;)

Carl

Unless something is blocking the input (suction screen) or something is blocking an oil path after the screen I really think you are barking up the wrong tree on all this oil pump volume output concern especially since this is a brand new engine with a new oil pump, and I don't think you have a blockage because you would see tale tale signs of it on your oil pressure gauge. Please no offense intended.

No offence - but this is a longer process then you see

Unless something is blocking the input (suction screen) or something is blocking an oil path after the screen I really think you are barking up the wrong tree on all this oil pump volume output concern especially since this is a brand new engine with a new oil pump, and I don't think you have a blockage because you would see tale tale signs of it on your oil pressure gauge. Please no offense intended.

No offence at all - I welcome any ideas, the back story which I don't want to go into here is 4+ weeks of fairly intensive investigation, documentation and research along with multiple input from very trusted sources - the obvious stuff has been ruled out, we are now into subltities.

With specific reference - suction screen - if a screen was blocked / partially blocked - would you not expect to see poor oil pressure? We have 70 psi at 220F oil temp and 45psi at idle.

Yesterday's experiements show we are getting over 20C of oil cooling as it goes through the SW cooler, with the oil cooler air inlet / outlet gaining between 40 and 70C.

And compared with similar engines, similar airframe and similar OAT / den alt we are still running hot. This is one of those 'educational' bits of the Experimental process and as usual we learn more and get a better understanding as we go.

As a pop quiz - just for fun; cooling air enters the cowl at the front and fills the plenum / upper air chamber. In a stable straight and level flight configuration, with reference to the OAT, the air at the aft end of the plenum (just in front of the oil cooler) is:

a) Same temp as OAT
b) Warmer than OAT
c) Colder than OAT

Why?

Regards,

Carl

Answer to pop quiz:

Warmer... but probably only trivially so. A fraction of a degree just do to compression (pressure recovery), and another fraction do to some radiation and convection heating from the engine as it swirls in. Probably not enough to matter?

Answer to pop quiz

Cooler!

Because the air expanded once past the cowl inlets.
Evaporative cooling.

Mark

winner is....

Cooler!
Because the air expanded once past the cowl inlets.
Evaporative cooling.

10 points to Mark.

Although I've got to confirm - it does appear to be a drop in temps, by 3-4 C at cruise speeds. More than we expected.

Carl

10 points to Mark.

Although I've got to confirm - it does appear to be a drop in temps, by 3-4 C at cruise speeds. More than we expected.

Carl

I'm not buying it...

No fluid to evaporate, so that one wouldn't seem to hold water (pun intended). The only way it could get colder is for the air to perform work on the airplane (sort of anti-drag). I'm afraid the opposite is true - the air is compressed as it enters the upper chamber, which causes it to warm.

I have some little thermocouples that I can tape into place - sounds like some more data is in order.

I'm not buying it...

No fluid to evaporate, so that one wouldn't seem to hold water (pun intended). The only way it could get colder is for the air to perform work on the airplane (sort of anti-drag). I'm afraid the opposite is true - the air is compressed as it enters the upper chamber, which causes it to warm.

I have some little thermocouples that I can tape into place - sounds like some more data is in order.

I'm not buying it either.

Assuming the air is slightly heated as it passes through the cowl opening; what is there to aborb some of this heat, while it's in this slightly compressed state.

All I can think of in regards to this plenum/cowl compartment, is engine heated air that's hotter than the "slightly" compressed air. So where's the heat transfer?

I'm just thinking in terms of refrigeration cycles, and it isn't yet computing..:D.

L.Adamson

Oil temps

I have a Mattituck 390 and have struggled with oil temps. CHTs have always been good ~320?F, oil temps 200-230?F at 25 sqrd and in warmer weather. I agree with earlier posts that the oil cooling jets seem to transfer more heat to the oil (where does this heat go without the jets??), and the Fadec increases temps. What sort of mixture does the FADEC default to, and what is the ignition timing? Too lean and too advanced would add to your problems, despite tolerable CHTs (I think your CHTs, while within limits, are a bit high as well).

Apologies if you have already covered this angle.

I'm not sure either

I'm not buying it either.

Assuming the air is slightly heated as it passes through the cowl opening; what is there to aborb some of this heat, while it's in this slightly compressed state.

All I can think of in regards to this plenum/cowl compartment, is engine heated air that's hotter than the "slightly" compressed air. So where's the heat transfer?

I'm just thinking in terms of refrigeration cycles, and it isn't yet computing..:D.

L.Adamson

Guys,
The very way that zkvii asked the quiz question made me think the air had cooled somehow. So I just tried to come up with something that might explain it. Yes, evaporative cooling is a stretch I know. There is water in the air though.

I'm not an engineer. I just know a little bit about a lot of things.

Mark

Last edited:
Emperical....

I've complete several more flights and all have resulted in temp readings on the ground with .5C of OAT, and in flight the forward sensor is between 3 and 6 C cooler than OAT.

The OAT sensor is in the second wing access plate which I believe to be outside exhaust slip stream (it tracks down to 0 without issue).

WRT why..... I'm not completely sure, but think it is the expansion cooling as the air goes through the small hole at the front to the larger plenum volume - PV = T and all that.

Would be good to have someone else do the same test!

Carl

Last edited:
Oil flow - some answers

Hi,

Well it has been a busy week of learning. The headline answer was found via Bill Marvel in "Light Plane Maintenance" March 2008 had an article all about oil system.

The gem was a standard Lycoming 360 should be between 7 and 12 gal per minute of oil flow.

As an epilogue: We tested with a flow meter in the oil cooler loop. This should have shown full flow once the Vernatherm had completely closed, in our tests we were getting less than 1.5 gpm at 2600 rpm with 90C oil - not enough. We changed to a different vernatherm and had off the scale (> 2 gpm ) at 1100 rpm. Without going through this whole process we would never had known that the vernatherm was suspect - it only failed at 90% which meant the oil cooler was getting up to proper temperature but not cooling enough oil.

Subsequent testing has been better, but I've come to the conclusion that with hot days (> 25 C, medium density altitudes (~4000') and the FADEC leaning the mixture) I'm probably undersize for even the SW 8406R so am looking at the next option.

Another post to follow with photos of the oil system and flow - like lots of the building process I understand more now than I did at the start - I guess it is the educational component - hopefully the information might be useful for someone else in the future.

Regards,

Carl

Last edited:
Oil Flow Rate

That's good gen there Carl. Well done chasing it down. Did the faulty vernatherm show any witness marks from being closed tight when hot?

Yes - the vernatherm did have seat ring mark, and in hot water expanded to about a 11/32" gap (this was checked 6 weeks ago along with the EIS temp probe!)..... The conclusion is however the old vernatherm wasn't holding the oil back from bypassing the cooler.... One possible option is the spring tension is slightly different between the ECI and Lycoming vernatherms - but I'm really fumbling in the dark to explain it.

I'd love to know what psi the vernatherm would become relief valuve for a blocked oil cooler.

The actual test with the flow meter was night and day - 1.4 gpm @2600 - nothing like what we wanted, the >2 @1200 rpm at 85C with the replacement one.....

Carl

Are you accounting for the ram temperature rise on the indicated OAT? I.e., if the OAT probe is sticking out into the airflow, the temperature it indicates will be higher than the actual OAT. This ram temperature rise is probably worth 3-4 C at normal cruise speeds.

OAT measurement

Are you accounting for the ram temperature rise on the indicated OAT? I.e., if the OAT probe is sticking out into the airflow, the temperature it indicates will be higher than the actual OAT. This ram temperature rise is probably worth 3-4 C at normal cruise speeds.

Interesting - the OAT probe is in a piece of heat shrink with a blob of pro seal on the end. (I don't think the GRT is doing anything clever with the numbers) Does the temp go up just from friction of being in the air stream?

The cooler forward surface temp varied - we have seen anything from same as OAT (like takeoff) through to 7C difference if my memory serves at something like 9000' DA 10C OAT and 2C oil cooler face.

Seems like this is a potenial gotcha from an ice awareness perspective, but I just stick well clear of moisture and < 5C anyway :) How should OAT be measured?

Carl

Carl

Back