What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Servo wiring

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Is there a preferred, even elegant way to splice those tiny 26 gauge servo wires supplied with Ray Allen trim servos? Where can I find suitable aircraft quality crimp type wire connectors to splice those wires?

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 60 hours
RV-8A empennage done

splicing small wires

I used machined d-sub pins, without the housing. A bit of shrink tubing around each wire, and around the whole bundle. Stagger the d-sub pins a bit for a less bulky bundle. IIRC, it helps to double back the small gauge wire when you put it in the d-sub pin before crimping.

rv8ch said:
I used machined d-sub pins, without the housing. A bit of shrink tubing around each wire, and around the whole bundle. Stagger the d-sub pins a bit for a less bulky bundle. IIRC, it helps to double back the small gauge wire when you put it in the d-sub pin before crimping.

I used the same D-Sub pins, but put them in some small AMP CPC connectors. You can get them from Mouser Electronic They are small locking circular connectors. To remove the elevator you simply take the D-Sub's out of the CPC connector.

Another suggestion. I mounted both relays and the speed control on a piece of aluminum, along with two 12 place terminal strips. I then soldered some 22 AWG lengths to each wire and used heat shrink over each connection. Then, crimp on as small as possible terminal ends and you can connect to the terminal strips. On one side of the strip are the wires from the relays and the other the wires going out to the servo/indicators, etc. My thoughts on this were that any of the relays/speed control units could be easily removed for replacement in the event one failed. (This turned out to be true since one of my relays was defective. Which, by the way, MAC replaced immediately for no charge.
You can then mount the entire assembly in any accessible spot with a few screws. I mounted mine under the floor boards in my RV8, since I made them all removeable.
I can send you pictures if you are interested.

Where is the Ray Allen 5-conductor wire available? I've checked Van's, Spruce, and SteinAir with no luck.

Davepar said:
Where is the Ray Allen 5-conductor wire available? I've checked Van's, Spruce, and SteinAir with no luck.

Vans has it.....I just ordered a 20' length. Check the accessories catalog a bit more closely.

Rick

Servo wiring

My many years of RC experience has proved invaluable in the building of the 7. I used a Deans 5 pin connector available from most good hobby shops. These are gold pin, high quality connectors, solder type. I never really understood why the trim servos come with such small amount of wire!!

On my flaps I used a two pin Deans for the Black and Red Wires. If needed the plug can be flipped over to reverse the motor. On the flap sensor I used a standard RC male/female servo connector. Also used on of these on the fuel flow sensor of the AFP pump.

Sorry no pictures, this stuff is all buried now.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

AMP CPC connectors

tonyjohnson said:
Andy,

Do you have a pic of that installation, or the connector?

Thanks,

Tony

Here's a good picture of a couple of them in use. In this case they are on the aileron trim speed reducer,but they are installed the same on the elevator trim

img_0056_std.jpg

RV7Guy said:
My many years of RC experience has proved invaluable in the building of the 7. I used a Deans 5 pin connector available from most good hobby shops. These are gold pin, high quality connectors, solder type. I never really understood why the trim servos come with such small amount of wire!!

On my flaps I used a two pin Deans for the Black and Red Wires. If needed the plug can be flipped over to reverse the motor. On the flap sensor I used a standard RC male/female servo connector. Also used on of these on the fuel flow sensor of the AFP pump.

Sorry no pictures, this stuff is all buried now.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Darwin is correct. Here is a 4 pin connector Deans I used. I used it for just 2 wires but you can see here it is a 4 pin connector. Very small and high quality.
PANEL%20169.jpg

RV7Guy said:
What are those parts in the photo?

These are the relays for my flaps, aileron and elevator trim. The Deans connectors fit very snuggly together by friction.

-Jeff

Wait, is that Delrin under those relay boards? I think you need a new handle, Jeff. Delrin-man. ;)

How did you route the trim servo wire?

How did you guys route the elevator trim servo wire bundle? Specifically,

- How did you get it out of the elevator? I'm leaning to drilling a hole in the inboard elevator rib (centered in a lightening hole in the horn weldment)

- How do you then get it around the HS rear spar?

Thanks,
Martin

I'm making my disconnect here at the wiring bundle.

hspentrationandwirebundle4hb.jpg

I glued a tube in place to run my wires easily.

exithole8fz.jpg

My machine D sub wouldn't fit thru the round hole so it will stay in the elevator- connected to the other D sub half.

servoinelevator6va.jpg

(thanks gil in AZ)

Back