What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit Unloading - One person enough?

skyfrog

Well Known Member
WooHoo...my RV-9A wing kit is arriving Tuesday (2/18).

ABF gave me an estimated delivery time of 8-5 (of course), which creates a problem. I probably won't have another person hanging around the whole day to help unload. So will there be any problems if the driver shows up and I'm the only one there?

It's going straight into my garage and 200 pounds per crate doesn't seem that heavy to me. They said it's about $100 more for a lift-gate truck, which is money I'd rather spend on a tool.

On the other hand, if anyone is in the Brandon, FL area and doesn't mind eating some BBQ and talking RVs for a while, stop on by. Just email me for directions...

John Edwards

Last edited:
I agree with Bob. The non-long one is also pretty difficult to move around by one person.

Unless the driver can drop the boxes and you can open and unload them right away... then this is piece of cake from a single person as well.

It can be done...

It can be done by lowering one end of the crates to the ground from the truck then grab the other and lower it flat. Then you can pick up one end and drag it (unless you want that fine plywood for a funiture project :rolleyes:).
I did use the wing box to make a stand to hold the wings when they were done...

That was my concern two weeks ago when ABF delivered my RV7 wing kit. Before I could climb onto the back of the truck, the driver put his big handtruck on the ground, pushed the long box halway out and tilted it to the ground. I put the hantruck under it, he shoved a couple more times and asked where I wanted it. He slid it under my boat trailer by himself. The wide box was similar. I was in the way. I asked if we would have any problem with the next boxes, about 350 pounds, he answered no but a lift gate for those might make things easier.:rolleyes:

I agree with Bob. Brute strength and awkwardness can accomplish anything, but two people makes it MUCH easier. You can't count on the delivery guy and you don't want to be the cause of any damage...

Bob Kelly

Flat furniture dollies are your friend. Have these standing by for any big heavy crates you're going to receive, and you can just offload the item from the truck, to the crate. If you're not going to open the crate right away, having it on the dolly makes it easy to move around to keep it out of your way.

The only kit I've ever had a problem with is the QB wing kit I got via ABF once. That was VERY difficult to unload with just me and the driver. It wasn't bad enough that it was in a large truck, but it was also on top of another crate in the truck. My suggestion for QB deliveries is "Partain" :D

Cheers,
Rusty

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.

Having realized I need the help to unload, I went ahead and did it...I told the wife I was getting another couple of boxes marked "expensive aircraft parts".

:mad:"And just how much money are those boxes?!?!?":mad:

At least there not as big as the quick-build, so I can say: "it's just some long pieces of sheet aluminum dearest":rolleyes:

I was able to move mine by myself. I got a few scrap pieces of conduit, put them under the box, and rolled the box on top of the conduit. When one piece of the conduit rolled out from under the trailing edge of the box, I would return it to the leading edge of the box. A little clumsy, but not bad for something you only do a time or two.

Kinda like the Egyptians moved the big 'ol blocks they used to build the pyramids.

By the way, I think you could use schedule 40 PVC too. 5 pieces would be about right.

Jeff (the seller) and I easily unloaded the two wing crates by hand from his trailer last night. I'm a scrawny 135 lbs, and I had no trouble with one end of the box.

John,

I'm up in Trinity. If you're cool with me bringing my laptop and a 2 year old, I'd be glad to hang out and help when the time comes.

E-mail sent.

Mike

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I called ABF in the morning and they gave me a two hour window of delivery. In addition, the driver gave me a call 1/2 hour before arriving, just as I had asked.

The boxes were a bit awkward to unload, but with the driver helping, we had no trouble sliding them into my garage. Although my daughter offered to help, she probably wouldn't have been able to handle the weight.

Also, thanks to the above suggestion about the dolly, I put together a piece of plywood and four castors I had in the shop and made a dolly a few minutes before the truck arrived. It worked perfectly for the "smaller" box.

Unfortunately I had to run back to work...I can't wait to unpack.

Late reply... The driver seemed to really enjoy it and loved looking at the fuselage and tail parts. We used a Sears creeper to roll it in. Bill

Back