Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Default New Wheel Bearings could use more grease.

At 90 hours, I am picking away at my regular maintenance items to reduce the time I am actually down for my up coming Conditional Inspection. I did not grease my wheel bearings before the first flight.
Although they where "pregreased", they where not greased very well. I would recommend that you pack them before you take that first flight.
I would not have wanted to go too many more hours on them. Perhaps this has been noted before, but it passed me by.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Good thread.

I just got done going through the brakes on a 10. I noticed the holes for the cotter key were not deburred causing metal shavings to form when the aluminum cap slid across the burrs. Sooo, it was a good time to pull everything apart, inspect the brake pads, pins, backing plate, bearings for grease, and look for any abnormalities.
The caliper bolts were a tad loose so I pulled them out and used Loctite & torqued.

After 150 hours, a little more than 1/2 of the pad life left. Not bad wear, IMHO, but after reading another thread about the 10's pads being hard to come by I ordered a set just in case. I hate waiting for UPS.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
At 90 hours, I am picking away at my regular maintenance items to reduce the time I am actually down for my up coming Conditional Inspection. I did not grease my wheel bearings before the first flight.
Although they where "pregreased", they where not greased very well. I would recommend that you pack them before you take that first flight.
I would not have wanted to go too many more hours on them. Perhaps this has been noted before, but it passed me by.
It is funny that you brought this up. I was just discussing things that we need to do before moving the plane to the airport. The wheels were greased when I got them but I didn't think they were greased well and we need to pack all the wheel bearings before we move the plane. Thanks for confirming it.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Someone once told me that the grease that comes with new bearings is just there to preserve them until you put the "real" grease in. Seemed believable to me, so I repacked my bearings before I ever installed my wheels.

mcb
VAF #836
For organizational convenience I have disabled private messaging, but please feel free to contact me by email.
Please note that any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
Someone once told me that the grease that comes with new bearings is just there to preserve them until you put the "real" grease in. Seemed believable to me, so I repacked my bearings before I ever installed my wheels.

mcb
Makes sense. If they where packed in wax paper, like you normally see new bearings, it would be obvious to most people. However, they are supplied installed in the wheels. I think this makes them an easy thing to overlook.
My bearings defineatley had more grease than just a protective coating, as I have seen on packaged bearings, still, not very well packed.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

The grease that is in the bearings, as shipped in the kit, is not adequate and should be cleaned out and the bearing properly repacked before assembling the wheels and brakes on the plane.

Roberta
GS 350 Lexus and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertahegy View Post
The grease that is in the bearings, as shipped in the kit, is not adequate and should be cleaned out and the bearing properly repacked before assembling the wheels and brakes on the plane.

Roberta
Here is my as-received bearing from Cleveland, installed on gear yesterday:

Roberta, how do you know it's not adequate? What IS adequate? Not all bearings should be packed 100% with grease - should these?

Noah Forden, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence

Last edited by Noah : 02-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Here is my as-received bearing from Cleveland, installed on gear yesterday:

Roberta, how do you know it's not adequate? What IS adequate? Not all bearings should be packed 100% with grease - should these?
I would suspect mine looked about like that when new. I got 90 hours on mine with no adverse affects or signs of where, but there was not much grease left in them. I think Roberta's advise is sound.
However, I have never heard of any bearing failures and I would bet that I am not the first person to overlook this. One should reasonably clean and repack wheel bearings at least every 100 hours, depending on environment and usage, and/or at each conditional inspection. So, is it adequate, was for me, but.....
Might be an interesting question to throw out there, "has anyone ever had to replace their wheel bearings?"

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up Gary Bricker

Avery sells a bearing packer that is great to use and you will get the correct amount in the bearings. They should be packed from one end until the grease goes out the other end. This packer does this very easy. When the bearing is packed this way the grease is inside the cage where it needs to be.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

Mine did not have nearly that much grease in them. Not knowing the type of grease, how old the grease was, or how adequately they were packed, I would recommend that they be cleaned and repacked with the correct grade of grease to ensure adequate coverage of the bearings. Seems like easy, cheap insurance to me. Your plane, though. Do what you think is best.

Roberta
GS 350 Lexus and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane