What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery installation in forward baggage

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I would appreciate seeing pictures of the installation of the battery in the forward baggage section of an 8A. My project is past the quickbuild stage, so it is a bit of a retro-fit.

I have seen Bill Von Danes webpage and I am considering something like that. I cannot tell from the pics of Bill's site how he fastened the battery box to the floor.

I am also interested in hearing from those of you who have put your battery in the forward baggage area. Would you do it again?

Thanks,

Tony Johnson
RV8A Orlando

battery?

if you are using a lycoming, put the battery in the rear location, per plans....!

Jay-

Why do you recommend installing in the rear when using a lycoming? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks

Charlie

battery in the back

Jay,

The main reason I was considering putting the battery in the forward baggage compartment is that I will be using a catto prop, which weighs only 18 pounds. That is about 22 pounds lighter than a fixed pitch metal prop and even more lighter than a Hatzell C/S.

I also figured that I would save the weight of several feet of battery cable, and have shorter wire runs. With a shorter cable run, I would get more of the juice from the battery to where it needs to go, making the battery more efficient.

Taking 22 or more pounds off the very front of the airplane would seem move the CG aft considerably. I don't mind having a bit of forward CG, but not as much as the guys who put the battery on the firewall with a C/S prop. It would seem more likely to stay within the aft C/G limit for areobatics.

My goal is to have the lightest ship possible with the C/G in mid range.

Would you still put the battery in the back?

Thanks,

Tony

battery?

I think you are right. The light prop will let you put it up front. I had not thought about the cato prop!
I have not seen a baggage mount. I probably would put it on the floor to the right side, so you could get to it.
I used hinge material to mount the odyssey box Vans PN # ES PC680 INSTALL KIT to the floor in Borrow Horse. Could do the same in a 8 easy enough.

I would still put in the back if it were me. The nose wheel will put wt up front.

I was thinking 0-360 180 hp and Hartzell. I know the plans say put it up front unless you are using a 200 hp, but we put 25 lbs of lead shot in back cargo for flying off the time, with the fore mentioned rig.

Last edited:
battery

Jay,

I'm glad that you agree. I talked with Vans about the front gear leg weight and the difference between the 8 and 8A weight and balance. The weight of the front gear leg is offset by the placement of the main gear legs to make the 8 and 8A the same from a balance standpoint.

Bill VonDane and Randy Levold (sp) have used the front baggage compartment for their installations. I think Randy came up with the idea. It is placed on the floor on the right side, as you suggested.

I am thinking of attaching a couple of Z braces to the floor there with blind rivets, and attaching the battery box to the braces. I am also thinking of using the box supplied by Vans and using spacers, or L brackets, to modify it to the size of the odyssey. I did not know that Vans had a special box for the odessy.

If it does not work out there, I will simply move it to the rear baggage compartment and run that long heavy cable to it.

Thanks for your input.

Tony

pics from Randy's site

For those interested in seeing the battery installation in the forward baggage compartment, I am sending a link to the website of Randy Lervold, to whom I think the credit of the idea is due:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Electrical.htm

I tried to email Randy to ask his opinion of the installation now that he is flying. My email to him bounced back.

Back