What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ZK-VII First Flight

zkvii

Well Known Member
ZK-VII First Flight - Updated details

Just a real quick note to say ZK-VII got air under her tires for the first time today - all went OK, engine temps rather warm but still a great RV grin. More details / photos and thanks to a long list of people to come, but it is just so good to be able to share in the news!

Main_zk-vii_airborne.jpg

Main_zk-vii_grin.jpg

Those building - keep pounding those rivets, those flying - you understand my emotions today,

Carl

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Outstanding Carl! Now you can get down to using GRTDecode for yourself!!

Very happy to hear you've gotten airborne after all your work.

Paul

Like to see those 7s fly

Congrats.....hint, the first flight grin lasts for at least 12 days........ask me how I know;)

Way to go!!!

Congrats

Congratulations on finding air! The sense of accomplishment must be like nothing else.
My first may be tomorrow, weather cooperating.
Have a blast getting those 40 hrs.

Jack Dekkinga
N811AK
flying tomorrow

Brilliant!

Carl,

This is excellent news. I'm really looking forward to seeing your aircraft. Are you planning on taking it to Tauranga in February for the SAA fly-in?

Enjoy...

very nice

maybe in a couple of months i can join the ranks of flyers. but that depends on paint or not to paint. once its put together i wont paint it.:D

Congrats Carl

Carl,
Very nice job...

Thanks for sharing the decode software.

Gary
N715AB

Congratulations and well done Carl! It's a big deal to finish any RV, but I don't think people realize what a monumental task it is to do when you're on the other side of the world. Things like vendors not shipping all off the little widgets you need at once isn't as easy to fix as it is here (ask Carl how I know this)! It's just not possible to have things "next day air'd". Think your shipping is bad for little parts from Van's, at least it's not $100 to send something as trivial as a pressure sensor!

Even communication with people like Van's, us, etc.. means you're either up at odd hours of the day, or each email takes days back and forth. What I'm saying is that doing this in NZ and AU not only costs these guys a lot more money, but a lot more time/aggrivation with us US based companies as well so the overall "first flight" is to be commended that much more.

I know the enormity of this project being done is a true testament to the continued motivation and patience by a really good guy! It's been a pleasure working with Carl, he's smarter with avionics then he lets on and has been responsible for a good many little tweaks to the GRT EFIS system as well as inventing a number of his own little amazing additions to his panel and plane.

Again well done! Perhaps someday I'll get to see that plane in person.

Cheers,
Stein

Dana - you beat me by a couple of weeks - great isn't it!

Jeff - Visit to North - will be a little while I think, inter-island test (700nm) areas might be pushing my luck :)

Leonard - SAA Tauranga - I doubt it, but if I'm ready and I can get there (CAA permitting) it is possible. Will obviously be weather dependant and probably also depend on any other local RVs going north....

Stein - thanks for the kind words - and yes your very right - building at this distance does change the challenges a bit! - You get down this neck of the woods and you will be welcomed - beer is on ice!

Carl

Last edited:
More details - Long / multi-part

Hi again (much longer thoughts on the last week),

Well the dust is beginning to settle and I'm getting my feet closer to the ground, words don't really work for explaining it all, but I'll try to give a flavour......

Tuesday last week was the CAA inspection, basically we were ready the previous week but life meant that I had wait a week, which meant I got to relax, take a breather and compose myself - all in all a good thing. The actually inspection took a couple of hours, Tony gave everything a good looking over, confirmed how / what we were doing and provided the sheet of yellow A5 and stamped the log books. Home in time for a beer.

Thursday (I've been joking for 4 years that first flight will be "Thursday") was the big day, we planned for a late start at the hanger. I spent the morning doing final research - confirming T & Ps in degree F and C, making knee board printouts for simple check lists and basic flight plan. Mike Stewarts flight test plan, coupled with the FAA AC90-89A gave a good structure, but the conclusion was go up, try to keep the temps in the right ball park, orbit, land and not try to over think things too much.

We arrived at the hanger around 3:30pm, Mum, Dad and I - Mum relaxed and read a book with Dad and I focusing on the last few bits. Stick boot covers were still an outstanding squawk on the list and I made those the day before, so impact glue onto the metal 'rings' and installation was my first job.

Dad started going round checking / pre-flighting, pumped the tires up (35 for mains, 38 for nose), drained, dipped and checked fuel (39 & 41 litres) and oil (7 qts). Then a thorough pre flight especially checking the basics / key stuff, control surface attachments, control movement etc.

I independently did another complete pre-flight, drained, dipped etc everything and checked all the access panels / screws as needed. Then a cup of tea (we are Brit's after all) and we compared values for fuel etc.

By 5:30pm the airfield was starting to calm down a bit, some of the helicopter flight training had finished, the sky divers had slowed a little and the OAT was coming down a bit: 27C (82F). The high that was moving across the south island was really stable, 1017mb and the winds very light (< 5 kts) and variable. I would have liked a little more of a breeze, but it was CAVOK and I had run out of things to 'do' on the plane.

I was REALLY nervous - excited, apprehensive, pumped up but pretty focused. Gave Mum a good hug and got myself comfortable and settled in the cockpit. Dad was setup on both the airfield freq and a 'chat' freq and we cross checked where needed. Engine start / idle was all fine and I let all the temps start to move on the instruments, I wanted 40C on the Oil before power checks and 100C on the CHTs before takeoff.

Power checks at 2000 rpm, < 20 drop each side (FADEC doing it's thing) got myself lined up, radio call and went for it.

Lift off was very quick, probably less than 4 seconds from roll to 'blue sky' filling the forward view. It was scampering off up and I just held it steady and let it climb. A slow right turn kept me somewhere near the airfield.

CHT and Oil Temps were climbing steadily and I could see they were going to be a limiting factor, I probably didn't get the power back soon enough, but I wanted height :) . Once up to 4000' (3K AGL) I relaxed a little bit, I had already been round the other end of the race track pattern and was into the turn for the return leg by this point!

Gentle turns (mainly to the right) all seemed to be in tune, ball was centered around 110 kts feet off. Slow right bank if I released the stick, but like 20 degrees over 10 seconds - to be investigated further, later.

CHT were just about stable, Oil T still climbing a bit much, throttle back, RPM back (20”, 2000 RPM, 34 lph, 120kts was my initial notes). Oil T came back a bit, CHT stabilised back to 190C ish then a climb to 6K MSL, (23", 2300 RPM, 100kts, 600 fpm).

Fuel pump back on and tank change followed by some slow speed work. 70 kts seemed to come / stabilise pretty quickly and the handling continued to be everything I could have hoped for - smooth, precise, accurate, balanced, 'gentle'.

The jump aircraft was still dropping so I moved further North out of the way (looking back this was TOO far away from the runway - as was most of the flight) and then did some 25% and 50% flap work. Flaps went down smoothly - nothing unexpected, back pressure being held and then trimmed. I probably used 75% of my available nose up trim which was more than I expected and I still had 'positive' back pressure on the stick. Thinking more about it afterwards: with one up, half tanks, no baggage, the CofG is about as far forward as it will ever be, so makes kinda sense now.

70 kts was fine, turns were 'softer' and needed more than just a 'thought' but all still smooth and balanced. The AoA started showing some yellow dots - not important, but seems to be in the ball park - it came pre-calibrated but you never know.

Then it was speed back up a little, descend and join back for landing. I kept it nice and stable, gentle arcing approach, I was concerned about the flare, but in the end it was one of my better ones although I was probably a little flatter than I'll aim for in the future. Roll out was just straight down the runway - I didn't rush for the brakes. Turned off and lined up at the pumps for more fuel, powered down, stopped all the recording devices and grinned......

Lots of things go through your mind during the first test flight, did I build it right, is the design really THAT good / foolproof, can I do the piloting thing to the standard required, but looking back I'm really glad I did do it. Everyone's risk assessment is rightly different, family, dependants, personal attitude, experience, location, weather, depth of research etc all play their part - in the end my nervous fear was probably more about letting myself down - the plane I had confidence in the build and the design. I'll add right here that I currently don't trust VII further than I can drag her at the moment, but in time I'm sure will develop a level of trust and understanding.

We re-fuelled, noted the totaliser and dipped levels again, taxi'd back and left everything for the next day. Home for a couple of beers......

Last edited:
Part 2 and Thanks

Current status:
After removing the cowls and having a really good look around the FWF, we removed the custom aft oil cooler duct for the time being. Otherwise nothing seems to have moved / leaked or obviously rubbed, so cowl back on and repeat 'first flight'....

The second flight was yesterday and I stayed MUCH closer to the airport / runway, still having Oil T problems but getting a better handle on it. 19C OAT at 3000' doesn't help the process. The approach was steeper, but the flare and landing was better. Handling is still very sweet in general - I seemed to have got a straight one out of the box - those hours spent rigging might be paying off.

Third flight was today, which was great up to about 400' AGL when I got a bus A warning, low volts. The VANS 60 Amp Alternator wasn't generating anything! - (is 1.6 hours HOBBS a new record?) Joined straight in to land, heart rate raised a little over the 'norm', but all ok. Looked at the basic wiring, did a ground run to check, but needed pulling off and investigating further. Another local builder had a 'spare' VANS 60 amp in the box, so I have that as an option. I'll consider the options - power plane vs traditional IR Alt with a complete spare.

Google Earth:
First Flight - ran out of recording about 40 mins in
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/kml/ZK-VII_2008-01-24_NZWF_FirstFlight.kmz

Second Flight - two parts
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/kml/ZK-VII_2008-01-25_NZWF_FlightTest2.kmz

Third Flight - very short circuit!
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/kml/ZK-VII_2008-01-26_NZWF_FlightTest3.kmz

Things I've learnt about the testing process so far:
  • Being nervous isn't always a bad thing and shouldn't necessarily stop you :)
  • A second pilot is hugely valuable. We both do a full pre-flight, brief on the plan and I have a second set of eyes / ears / thoughts.
  • A 'company freq' on a second coms channel is great - just dictate over the air (slowly) the temps / pressures / plan / stage you are at. They can be recorded and later gone back to and it gives you 'markers' to work / discuss from
  • Video recording in cockpit - a great way of storing the information (see below for secondary benefit)
  • EFIS recording - if you have got it, use it. I think several of the EFIS can do this - I was surprised how little value the individual lines of data are, but the trend information is great, CHT, EGT, MAP, RPM, Alt, OAT, ASI, GPS location etc - all good to be able to reference back on (lots of development ideas for GRTDecode!)
  • Form a checklist / record list (and develop as you find what is useful), we are now tank dipping before after each flight segment along with totaliser levels, QNH, OAT, tire pressures, weight & locations (which provides CofG), date, time etc - at the time it is 'obvious' after two more flights I have forgotten lots of the detail.
  • The flight test record will become part of my 'construction record' - I'm never going to be an 'experienced test pilot' but at least I can go back review and re-do if needed. It is only a bit more gas and more flying time - tell me the downside again?

I've got various video footage both internal and external of the flights, I'll try and cobble something together - but it just looks like 'another' RV flying to everyone else - for me however the video record will be treasured.

Finally some heart felt thanks from me: The support / help from the broader RV community has been pivotal in enabling this dream to be realised.

It started for me back in Mar 2003 when I was welcomed into the SoCAL RV group for 10 days and immersed in RVs, planes, building and aviation conversations. I wasn't known from Adam (who?) but people like Bill Marvel, Dan C, Gary S to name a few warmly welcomed me, and they just kept providing information whilst I just kept trying to remember it and take more photos :) Through the build I've got know a broader group through the Yahoo groups and VAF, developed some ideas and got motivation during the low points - all 'part' of the building process. As for most builder there are a few people that stand out for whatever reason, for me, Dan C, Bob J (NZ local), Mahlon, Stein, Greg @ GRT are all very much on that list along with IronFlight, GMC, Alan J and many others for specific help in specific areas. Although it is not enough, all I can say is a generic 'thank you' and hope I can get the first beer if/when we meet.

Keep building, fly safe and blue skies,

Carl (still grinning)

Last edited:
Just a real quick note to say ZK-VII got air under her tires for the first time today - all went OK, engine temps rather warm but still a great RV grin. More details / photos and thanks to a long list of people to come, but it is just so good to be able to share in the news!

Those building - keep pounding those rivets, those flying - you understand my emotions today,

Carl

Very good show, Carl. You can almost see the grin in flight!

Back