What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel issues

N8RV

Well Known Member
Need some guidance, guys ...

I was made aware that Van's carries TWO different snorkels for the horizontal induction engines -- the VA-132 and the VA-132-1. The VA-132-1 has a round mounting flange instead of square, and is shorter overall, allowing the filter end to fit within the baffle side without having to cut the snorkel to fit.

The VA-132-1 also has filter mounting brackets -- W-shaped angles.

The problem is this: I can't find any instructions! I've looked everywhere, looked at Van's website (thinking that maybe there was a PDF of the instructions), and searched this site. Nothing.

Anybody able to tell me where I might find snorkel installation instructions? Or, is there somebody's website that has pics of the installation?

And, as an aside, when I called Van's to ask about this shorter snorkel, I was told in no uncertain terms that there's only ONE snorkel for the IO-360 engine. Period. There are NOT two. Funny that they have different part numbers and have different prices ...

Thanks for any help you can give.

More Detail

I order up the Van's IO360 style snorkel and it didn't fit my particular induction system. So I would need to know the type of induction you are using????? Buy the way this snokel is for sale or I am sending it back to Van's for a refund.

I have the new ECi horizontal ram air induction/throttle body which caused a fair amount of custom work to build a ram air plenum attached to the custom built ram air induction snorkel.

Frank @ SGU RV7A working on the last 1000000000000000 details

Need some guidance, guys ...

I was made aware that Van's carries TWO different snorkels for the horizontal induction engines -- the VA-132 and the VA-132-1. The VA-132-1 has a round mounting flange instead of square, and is shorter overall, allowing the filter end to fit within the baffle side without having to cut the snorkel to fit.

The VA-132-1 also has filter mounting brackets -- W-shaped angles.

The problem is this: I can't find any instructions! I've looked everywhere, looked at Van's website (thinking that maybe there was a PDF of the instructions), and searched this site. Nothing.

Anybody able to tell me where I might find snorkel installation instructions? Or, is there somebody's website that has pics of the installation?

And, as an aside, when I called Van's to ask about this shorter snorkel, I was told in no uncertain terms that there's only ONE snorkel for the IO-360 engine. Period. There are NOT two. Funny that they have different part numbers and have different prices ...

Thanks for any help you can give.

K&N Apollo

I am currently thinking about using a K&N Apollo Universal Cold Air Intake System, instead of the snorkle. Has anyone else looked/thought/using this intake system. It is for racing applications up to 250BHP normally aspired.

Paul

RV-8
Finishing
RV-6 flying

Surgery here

Hi.

I've a RV-7 with a Superior IO-360 horizontal induction and the Vans FF-kit with the round snorkelflange.

The snorkel where too long, so I cut off approx 1 inch in the middle and glassed it together again.

The shorter lenght made the differerence for me.

I also had to cut off the "curved part" on top of the 90 degree bend before the intake of the injector.
(The curved part collided with the mounts of my Sky Tech starter.)

All-in-all a "major surgery" to make the snorkel fit, but at least it's ok now.

Regards Alf Olav Frog
RV-7 Finishing/wiring

Some pictures

Now that I've conquered the snorkel (I hope!), I thought I'd post some pix so that you can see the difference in the snorkels that Van's supplied.

Here's the original snorkel (Part labeled VA-132) that was too wide ...
100_0991s.jpg

... and here's the new snorkel (Part number VA-132-1) ...
100_0992s.jpg

I'm not sure why the guys at Van's say that they only make one snorkel ... it's obvious that these parts are NOT identical. The VA-132-1 has a round flange at one end and is shorter overall by at least an inch. Maybe the guys I spoke with on the phone are just not aware that the size problem has already been addressed (but then, maybe they shouldn't be offering tech support :D)

I finally ended up using the supplied "W-angle" (seemed pretty lightweight to me) on the front of the snorkel and on the inboard side, securing with #8 screws and nutplates. I used matching angle stock on the outboard angle, securing with AN3 bolts and spacers. The K&N filter fits wedged between the snorkel and the floor of the left intake baffle ...

100_0995s.jpg

100_0996s.jpg

Thanks for everyones' input. Back to the baffle seals ...

RE:Custom Ram air induction

Paul

I fabed my own cold air ram induction similiar to Robbie Attaways. A little work and engineering...but it has turned out great.

Frank @ SGu RV7A ....last 100000000000000000 details

I am currently thinking about using a K&N Apollo Universal Cold Air Intake System, instead of the snorkle. Has anyone else looked/thought/using this intake system. It is for racing applications up to 250BHP normally aspired.

Paul

RV-8
Finishing
RV-6 flying

The shorter, round snorkle is for the Airflow Performance fuel servo. The Airflow unit is longer and the inlet end is round. The square snorkle (should have a flange) is for the Bendix/Precision servo.
Charlie Kuss

Snorkel to baffle - how to attach

Apologies for bringing this thread back to the top but I have some more questions.

Having (mostly) mastered the (aptly named) baffles, I'm trying to install the snorkel (I have the VA-132-1and a Superior IO-360 angle valve 180hp with c/s prop). AFAICS there is no drawing to go with this bit of assembly?

I've already determined that I've got to grind part of the snorkel off to make room for the alternator attachment. What I'm unsure of is the best way to attach the snorkel to the left front baffle and integrate the filter and the aft lip of the bottom cowling.

AS far as I can see from the photos on here, I should first trim the top of the snorkel to the correct angle for the baffle, then rivet some of the channel angle around the edges of the snorkel? (Vans only sent about 6 inches, I'll need more)). All 4 sides? the filter then sits in the resulting niche, plugged into the top of the snorkel itself? And then I use presumably screws and nutplates to hold the snorkel/angle/filter assembly up to the bottom of the baffle, with some finagling at the outboard edge because of the way the horizontal baffle meets the vertical piece. Is that all correct - if so do I just do something similar to hold the front of the assembly up to the lower cowling intake lip?

Final question is the best way to lead the oil feed for the prop through the right hand horizontal baffle - does the Van's pilot hole sit in the right place? It looks a little to close to the engine for an easy connection.

I've searched this forum and looked at various blogs but there are no good closeup photos of these two areas.

Thanks

Chris

Chris et al...

Maybe we were quite lucky! XP-IO-360 + VA-132 (don't think it was the -1? It has a square mount to the fuel unit). Just required some surgery for the alternator bracket, and the "hole" to the fuel unit needed moving up 0.25" or so). Lined up with the air filter / missed the starter fine...

baffles2.jpg

baffles3.jpg

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Anyone made a serious comparison of manifold pressure using a snorkle vs a ram air intake through the lower cowl?

Is the filter sandwiched between baffle and snorkel?

VA 132-1 is the one with the square flange (at least, mine has a square flange). I've temporarily bolted it to the front of the fuel servo (What are the correct attachments??? Studs and nuts, or bolts??) It will need a bit of surgery to get it round the alternator lugs, but looks as though it will miss the starter.

At the other (filter) end, it arrives under the baffle at the correct place and doesn't extend too far out, not like the VA-132. Not too bad at all then.

What I'm trying to decipher is the baffle/snorkel/filter bit. Some setups seem to sandwich the filter flange between the top of the snorkel and the bottom of the baffle. Andy, yours doesn't look like that?? Also what happens at the front edge where the filter meets the lip of the intake on the lower cowl? And what about a bit of engine sag? Will that create a problem in due course?

I was going to put channel down the two sides of the snorkel inlet and use screws/nutplates to secure the channel to the bottom of the baffle, sandwiching the filter. Rear edge there isn't enough room for tht because of the baffle construction, so I thought just a piece of angle to provide a secure location. Front edge probably another piece of angle, but I'll have to trim the inlet lip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. What is going to be the best way to seal this area?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure it'll be very easy in the end!!

Chris

Chris... Come and see ours at some point again... I did modify some of the baffle design a bit. You end up with 2 plates (the outboard one is actually part of the side baffle) to "hold down" the air filter.

And what about a bit of engine sag? Will that create a problem in due course?
Not sure what you mean? The engine, fuel unit, starter, alternator, snorkel and airfilter are all one unit - and will all sag together so no issue. The rubber strips between cowling and all of the above will need to cope / be adjusted. They get quite hot, and seem to adjust themselves quite well ;)

Andy

Back